Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:19 am    Post subject: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

NOTE: F YOU CLICKED HERE WITH THE INTENTION OF VOMITING YOUR POLITICAL AGENDA OR TO EXPRESS YOUR TWO CENTS OF OPINION.
FACT IS THAT IT IS OUR CURRENT NATIONAL REALITY BE IT RIGHT OR BE IT WRONG.

PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T DO SO.

There is a COVID-19 thread already ongoing in off topic right now.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732232

The March 2020 reality is that your kids have no school to attend for weeks ahead, you might be laid off or able to take some time off from work.

What are your plans?

I know the weather isn't prime in many areas, for example it is snowing in the Northern Rockies right now.

Are you going to self quarantine in your garage working on your beloved Vanagon?

The risk if getting sick is too great. If I get sick, I want to be at home?

Are you headed to your favorite secluded spot?

Are you going to jump in and simply GO!

If you do go, how will you accomplish simple prevention steps such as frequent hand washing with hot water after making those stops for fuel and food?

AGAIN, I DON'T CARE IF YOU THINK THIS SITUATION IS CORRECT INCORRECT, OR WHATEVER!

I am curious on how you will live through it in regards to your Vanagon and the get away options it presents to you.

OK, keep it clean folks, I don't want to be editing tons of political BS or situational opinions out of it.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Staying home and doing my basement bathroom as well as my tankless water heater

Weather in March in upstate is perfect for outside stuff for me

Fixed my cofefe

Last edited by Abscate on Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Heading north in the van this afternoon and skiing for a couple of days - skipping the lodge altogether and camping each night. My son (16) is off for 2 weeks and I'm a teacher with 2 weeks off as well. No better place to be than the cold mountain air of New Hampshire (or WY or UT or BC....). Once I get back, plenty of garden to plant.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

For me, my Wife is retired but I'm still working.

Be it good, or be it bad, I am fortunate enough to have a job that will be unaffected for the immediate future.
As long as I'm not sick I'll be working steady.
We count on a Summer season which starts in mid to late June. We must be ready for it.

After a large meeting with all the related property managers it was decided as a group that we are going to hold off on some large capital expenditures which were planned....... just in case the 2020 season is cancelled.

What we currently have is fully functional, we just wanted to upgrade.
I'll be busy but in a more relaxed manner. No crunching deadlines or complex projects to manage. But work added to make the existing last for another season.

So...... no unexpected fun in Mudville for me!
But, no cut in pay either.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

I have a tank reseal kit to install and we're retired so we can go when the spirit moves us to do so.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

I expect to get infected, and use the van to quarantine myself from others in the house.

I don't really want to be isolated somewhere when I catch it, being mid 60s, it could knock me down in just a couple hours if my body reacts poorly to it.

Hopefully if that does happen, it will be early on or in several more months. You really don't want to need help in the middle of the wave when they're likely to be swamped.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
What are your plans?

Once the current atmospheric river quits dumping up in the Sierras (2+ feet today, ~2 feet tomorrow), blast over Donner Pass to SFO to spend some time with family and retrieve the donor engine that one of my brothers there secured for my WBX rebuild.

Along the way, maybe go snowshoeing up on the pass in the new pow and stop by the Fairfield CA Pick-n-Pull along the way to grab some needed bits off this beauty that just showed up in the yard there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

It had already crossed my mind...

1) Head north to the forest service roads, park for a few days & run the new diesel heater through it's paces...
2) Road trip to visits kids, family, whomever; park in a few driveways & run the new diesel heater through it's paces...
3) Stay home, work in the garage & camp in the driveway all while running the new diesel heater through it's paces...

What to do, what to do...??? Laughing Cool Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

I got lucky. I scored a giant garage so I have taken everything out of my van, already painted the interior and am now working on upgrading my interior wiring and floor:

SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Geeze Dave, the only one mentioning anything political here is you. Why not simply ask, “does anyone have any plans involving vans this month”?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Geeze Dave, the only one mentioning anything political here is you. Why not simply ask, “does anyone have any plans involving vans this month”?

Precedence, in the linked thread Everett is going nuts editing out political crap.

Pages and pages and pages of it!

And some of those persistent posters who ignore it all and continue to post crap?

They are Vanagon Peeps!

Hence the introduction.
But, everyone is doing great!

Thank You!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Avoiding strangers and gas pumps till this peaks. Chronologically the wife and I are considered elderly.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Staying home and doing my basement bathroom as well as myvtabkless water heater

Weather in March in upstate is perfect for outside stuff for me

Stock up on toilet paper so you can use the bathroom you are doing!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
djkeev wrote:
What are your plans?

Once the current atmospheric river quits dumping up in the Sierras (2+ feet today, ~2 feet tomorrow), blast over Donner Pass to SFO to spend some time with family and retrieve the donor engine that one of my brothers there secured for my WBX rebuild.

Along the way, maybe go snowshoeing up on the pass in the new pow and stop by the Fairfield CA Pick-n-Pull along the way to grab some needed bits off this beauty that just showed up in the yard there.

SFO? I would avoid airports, risk of virus.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

We was planning a long camping trip in a couple weeks, but may postpone, we dont want to be prevented from getting home with a quarantine, or being unable to get fuel for the trip. It all depends on how this wuhan virus thing goes. We will know more in the coming weeks on how our plans maybe be changed.

stay safe

Bug On, Killing the Wuhan Virus, one bug at a time!

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Precedence, in the linked thread Everett is going nuts editing out political crap.

Dave,

I wanted to thank you and the other mods for the great job you do here keeping the boundaries focused, yet flexible.

Having served as a mod elsewhere before, I truly appreciate how this is a huge iceberg task, with us list members seeing only 5-10% of the discussions, decisions and actions going on behind the scene.

The fun really starts when the 2am suit threats start flying from the drunk insecure unstables living out on the far side of the bell-curve and you end up having to lawyer up out of self defense, even though it's just a volunteer position.

Again, thank you for your service, your and the other mods hard work makes this the best list I've ever experienced.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
I got lucky. I scored a giant garage so I have taken everything out of my van, already painted the interior and am now working on upgrading my interior wiring and floor:

Geez, that's a fantastic garage!!! Shocked You are very lucky. Cool I am envious. Sad
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I am curious on how you will live through it in regards to your Vanagon and the get away options it presents to you.

I'm somewhat isolated being a ferry ride away from the mainland. "get away"? Considered attending a Westy event at Bayview state park WA, thought better of it then it got cancelled.

My Westies both have full LP tanks, water tanks mostly filled, some food in one and of course extra food elsewhere. (but I do that anyways)

No plans to go anywhere. In BC, for me, colder weather, poss. snow, prohibit travel and camping but maybe I'll head north, do some dispersed camping later.

Pending projects, not urgent:

- rebuild clutch housing on my '81
- investigate slow oil leak at oil cooler area
(do ya think its that stupid O ring again? Wink
- poss. measure current output of alt. ? Poss. replace starter battery
- replace tail pipe

On my 88

- ensure air cleaner drain isn't sucking up any rain water
- replace JP group steering U joint with rebuilt OE

If the transaxle case I may buy is worthy....

Look into rebuilding it myself.

Poss ABA engine rebuild or parts scavenge

Theres probably other stuff I've forgotten. The list goes on eh? Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

I'm going to hide out in a cabin on Mt Lemmon and start writing my manifesto.

We're in our 70s and I don't want to catch it, but even more importantly - I don't want to bring it home with me.
covelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Planning a quick natural science and history trip to Death Valley next weekend with my 12yr old middle schooler who is out of school for at least two weeks.

'72 Bay Window Westfalia (with 2L AVP engine and dual solex carbs) -- sold in 2009
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: