Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

55 Oval wheel painting
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iain Campbell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:16 am    Post subject: 55 Oval wheel painting Reply with quote

Does anyone know how they painted the wheels at the factory. Black at the back and then two different colours on the front side. I have tried every way possible with masking tape to get clean lines but not the best results. They cant possibly have done this at the factory with all the different colour combinations.Help?
386kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 55 Oval wheel painting Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 55 Oval wheel painting Reply with quote

it's easiest to paint the centre colour, then mask that to spray the rim. people have used bowls or thin plastic sheeting rolled into a cylinder as a mask...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 Oval wheel painting Reply with quote

As a precaution when painting wheels, be sure to remove the paint from the area where the lug nuts seat. I learned the hard way after my buddy and I painted my bus wheels and I reattached the wheels without removing the paint. The lug nuts on one came loose while driving. Fortunately, I was wearing my brown shorts that day.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 Oval wheel painting Reply with quote

Original wheels were dipped in the black primer then the faces were painted in the corresponding color combinations. I use poster board with a small strip of tape on the end, cut into slices. This keeps the tape ridged to where you can get it worked into the seam.

Instagram: Raisedup58
VW's At The Springs
facebook.com/vwsatthesprings
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: