Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to buy? Rebuilt solex 34pict3
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GutshotGriz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy? Rebuilt solex 34pict3 Reply with quote

I just noticed the 34PICT3 Bocar on my 72 bug is Hecho En Mexico. It definitely needs a rebuild but not sure if it is worth doing so. Anything inherently defective with the Mexican versions I should know about. Rebuild or
just seek out a Solex?
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy? Rebuilt solex 34pict3 Reply with quote

Over the years, I have rebuilt many 34 PICT's, both Solex and Mexican made carburetors. In my experience, any complete rebuild of any 34 PICT yields a much better running carburetor. They will probably never be as good as a brand new one, but smooth idling and instant response can be achieved if the internals are all clean and clear and the engine is otherwise as good as it can get with proper timing, compression, etc.

The biggest detriment to today's VW's is the hodge-podge of aftermarket parts from China, Brazil, Mexico, et.al. Mix and match (and mismatched) distributors, spark plugs, coils, improper cooling due to less than perfect tins, fans, etc. are part of the reduced reliability of these little powerplants. Stay away from the 009 distributors as much as possible. They have a very small niche of actually being OK to use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy? Rebuilt solex 34pict3 Reply with quote

I don’t know your level of mechanical abilities, your age or experience with OEM VW carbs. That said first choice would be OEM Solex second choice Brazil or Mexican. The chinese carbs are garbage and would you believe people here buy them then rebuild to remove all the shavings and correct the defects that are built in. Me I’d pay a little more and be done with it and this coming from a mechanic with over 40 years experience. 😀
RWilliamsga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy? Rebuilt solex 34pict3 Reply with quote

I have never seen one of the new carbs worth a crap there are about half a dozen laying on shelf at my dad's little hobby shop he is 79 now still fools with people's bugs you mention on them be prepared for an earful Lol.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy? Rebuilt solex 34pict3 Reply with quote

There are some good new 34-PICT3 carbs coming from redline (The same folks who import Webber). They are a good price too.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy? Rebuilt solex 34pict3 Reply with quote

Touch base with Tim at Volksbitz. He will advise you whether its worth doing, but I know he does rebuilds on Bocars. Its about $200 to rebuild yours or you can buy one outright for around $230. If he has German Solex cores, its around $270. Not cheap, but he is the best and I always keep an inventory of his rebuilds for customers that want the best. Make sure you advise him if you have or may change to an alternator. Certain carbs need the accel pump linkage changed to clear them.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy? Rebuilt solex 34pict3 Reply with quote

Seven years now with a Volkzbitz restored Solex 34 pict 3 carburetor. Not a single problem.

I will never use anything other than one of his. Why take a chance?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy? Rebuilt solex 34pict3 Reply with quote

I’ve been running one of his on my yellow 74 bug for several years now and I purchased a couple for spares. There is however a contingency of those that for whatever reason will opt to buy the cheap knockoffs thinking all the while they are saving money. Gene Berg identified this phenomenon over 40 years ago. He wrote an article called “Death of an Industry”

There will always be a market for cheaper lower line products, that’s just a fact and the hucksters that make a buck pushing it. Let the buyers beware, buy once and cry once or cheap parts are often the most expensive in the long run.

Same is true for people here restoring fuel pumps, distributors and steering gear Boxes. Imagine if nobody did this and all you had was cheap chinese shit.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy? Rebuilt solex 34pict3 Reply with quote

You couldn't give me a "low cost", cheap, Chinese carb, fuel pump or distributor. I'd only use it as a door stop. Name the brand. EMPI, Redline or other cheap, Chinese 34-3 carb. Garbage.

There's a reason Tim at volkzbitz.com is so highly thought of. He restores/rebuilds the original, high quality German Solex carbs back to almost new. He installs new throttle shaft bushings and replaces any worn linkages. You get a restored/rebuilt German Solex carb that will be good for decades to come.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy? Rebuilt solex 34pict3 Reply with quote

Just my $0.02...
"Back in the day" you could take a less than serious effort to rebuild your carb and it would help restore performance lost from dirt collected in the carb/passages or from leaking gaskets. Soaking the carb in gunk (the good stuff that could dissolve skin) and spraying with aerosol carb cleaner fixed 75% of carbs.

Those same OE carbs are now nearly 50yrs old. All are 30yr+. A simple flush and gasket replacement will not fix worn parts. The result is people thinking their OE Germany carbs are "dead" and they take the easier option to buy a NEW (Chinese made) replacement carb of lower quality.

The real solution is a more thorough RESTORE where the throttle shaft bushings are replaced and the carb is thoroughly cleaned. This provides the closest thing to a NEW Germany/OE carb by replacing worn parts.

You are basically paying for a restoration, not a simple rebuild.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy? Rebuilt solex 34pict3 Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

The real solution is a more thorough RESTORE where the throttle shaft bushings are replaced and the carb is thoroughly cleaned. This provides the closest thing to a NEW Germany/OE carb by replacing worn parts.

You are basically paying for a restoration, not a simple rebuild.

Enter Volkzbitz. I've had three carbs restored by him, including the latest a fully restored 34-4 beauty that's going into my '73 Super. Sadly, my other 34-4 he restored went w/the '72 Super I sold 1.5 years ago...

If this doesn't give you goose bumps, I don't know what does!! (probably for the best!) Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy? Rebuilt solex 34pict3 Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Seven years now with a Volkzbitz restored Solex 34 pict 3 carburetor. Not a single problem.

I will never use anything other than one of his. Why take a chance?

Tim

My experience exactly. Top quality restoration. Tim also did a 28 PCI for me last year. Again superb work.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy? Rebuilt solex 34pict3 Reply with quote

I bought a Brazilian Solex 30/31 and adapter maybe 3 decades ago for my 1600cc DP engine in my 1971. I was happy with its performance. When I swapped in my then-unused larger engine into the 1971, that engine sat outside for about a decade. When I resurrected my 1970 and rebuilt that 1600cc DP engine, I rebuilt that carburetor myself. Even though my rebuilt carb does not look as good as a volkzbitz.com unit, mine runs well.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy? Rebuilt solex 34pict3 Reply with quote

I will one day get a rebuilt German 34pict from Volksblitz, but in the mean time I’ve rebuilt a Bocar that was in a parts bucket when I bought my car. From what I’ve seen having this one apart, it’s hands down better in every way than the no name China carb that was on my engine at purchase, which performed pretty damn well after a few cleanings even for a crap carb.

A Pinsol bath in the ultrasonic and a Walker rebuild kit, coupled with actually getting the base flat and accel pump and carb covers/body areas flat again, came out nicely. Throttle shaft was still tight on this one, from stamping in two places, looks like it was made in ‘95. I haven’t done a shakedown run due to flooding here, but I have put it on the car and it fired right off and idled wonderfully.

Definitely not as pretty as Tim’s, but a step above what was on the car.

pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgrexx wrote:
maybe i'm just weird but i would never pay the same price for a rebuilt carb as a brand new one costs. those prices seem really high to me for a rebuilt carb. i would check the samba ads. i got a used carb for $40 in good condition ready to go. they are $75 now so i guess they've gone up.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=955260

if i'm gonna pay $150-$200 i would go ahead and buy a new one.

http://www.bughaus.com/beetle54.htm

Please reconsider this. In this day and age new isn't always better and most certainly OG is better than aftermarket.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drs1023 wrote:
I found a Bocar 34 series carb still in the box in a lot of parts I bought a couple of years ago. Because I didn't know the history, I put a rebuild kit in it. The parts I took out looked like new and there was no fuel residue anywhere. I don't think it had been installed since "new" or "rebuilt". I didn't consider it a waste to rebuild it since I wanted to use it on my woods buggy. I can't say that it is as good as a Solex 34 series since I haven't used one of those in years - a couple of my last VW's had dual carb set-ups or 30 series Solex carbs on them.

After the initial adjustment, the 34 PICT from Bocar has performed very well, quick response, etc. I don't know how long it will last, but the last couple of years has proved it was worth the very few dollars I paid for it.

Old bocar's are in general are good quality.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: