Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

50 mph top speed
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JUNEBUG68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 mph top speed Reply with quote

Anyone want to talk me out of putting electronic ignition in ‘68 Type 1 convert?
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: 50 mph top speed Reply with quote

Do a search with Pertronix + problems...

Why add electronics to something that works fine?

says the guy who put in electronic fuel injection and a Black Box... Rolling Eyes
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 mph top speed Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
Do a search with Pertronix + problems...

Why add electronics to something that works fine?

says the guy who put in electronic fuel injection and a Black Box... Rolling Eyes

Because it allows a hotter and more consistent spark than points and a blue coil do
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 mph top speed Reply with quote

I had to take the new Brosol. carb off and clean dirt/debris was inside it!
I used a jam jar of kerosene to rinse out the carb and then blew it out with an airline, you can use a car/bicycle foot/hand pump.
Let it dry before refitting and set the accelerator cable to fully open the carb linkage when the gas pedal is held down to the floor.
Put a new fuel filter onto the fuel line that runs over the rear drive axle boot where the clutch cable arm is under the back. Easier once you take the wheel off and have the car sitting safely on axle stands. I use a mark 1 or mark 2 VW rabbit fuel filter made by MANN, easily available and good value,change it every year to be on the safe side.

Increase your idle speed by turning the idle screw in a quarter of a turn, then drive it and see if that helps.
If your idle screw is not increasing your idle speed then you probably have an air leak in the exhaust, the manifold joints and gaskets must all be perfect . Make sure nuts holding carb in are snug and where the manifold attaches to the cylinder heads, those nuts have to be properly tensioned/torqued .
A common problem is the stock heat riser clogs up with black carbon and this is a hard dirty,days work to fix. There are articles about it on this forum to help you.
The spark plugs Bosch are best, can show what's happening inside the engine. So after a drive let the engine cool and take one out. When everything is working correctly the tip is Light Brown that is the Goal,the ideal Happy Engine.
If the plug tip is oily black, the fuel mix is too Rich so turn down the mix screw.
Just make small adjustments of a quarter turn of the screw each time you drive until it's right.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 mph top speed Reply with quote

JUNEBUG68 wrote:
Anyone want to talk me out of putting electronic ignition in ‘68 Type 1 convert?

Well, I tried best I could...
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 50 mph top speed Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
JUNEBUG68 wrote:

Well, I tried best I could...

That's all you can do, really.

P.S. It's a bit off topic, but if you really want your ignition system to last forever AND throw a hotter spark, keep the points/condensor and add a Winterburn CDI. You won't be disappointed.

P.S.S. Did the OP ever figure out the problem with his engine?
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 mph top speed Reply with quote

Off original topic but I got a good reason not to go with electronic ignition upgrades...

typical cost is a couple of hundred bucks for new dizzy, uprated coil, expensive plug leads and then your VW...
shaves
about..
0.5 seconds off its quartermile time haha!

Should have gone for a good pair of Michelin tyres instead. Then you can stop quicker as well, can save your life in an emergency stop!
OP hasn't been on the Samba since Saint Patrick's Day, anyone in Cali can check what happened, hope this dude is ok and didn't just give up on VW ...we have all had those days...
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 mph top speed Reply with quote

JUNEBUG68 wrote:

Heck no the parts house needs your money Very Happy
mac903
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: 50 mph top speed Reply with quote

Fixed, the wires were in the right places in the cap and I read a post where someone said swap places 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 plug wires at cap. With nothing to loose I tried and now it runs perfect and has a good top speed. thanks
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 50 mph top speed Reply with quote

Parts house still needs your money
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: