Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wife's new project-Joy!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

I should probably start a thread on our newly acquired '68 Kombi named Joy (wife's Mother's name)
My wife has had 2 other buses in the past, both were campers and this time she did not want a camper style bus, just a Kombi, so we picked up this '68 that was listed here and also on Craigslist in the Spokane area. Originally came from Arizona and then to the Spokane area, so not too much rust to deal with.
Previous owner had engine rebuilt about 4 years ago to a 1776, dual Kadron, larger heads/ports, but that's about the extent of his memory of the specifics. Said it broke a fan belt when driving one day, replaced it, then said it sounded "funny", so he pulled the engine in hopes to go through some things. Then his shop burned down leaving no choice but to sell the bus for funds to rebuild the shop.
This where we came into the picture. Not planning to restore or make it pristine, but to preserve what is there and prevent any more rusting in the usual places. We have already applied rust converter/encapsulator on most of the interior. Wife is now applying sound deadener to most of the interior panels, then plan to coat over everything with truck bed liner and a final sealant/deadener.
I have dismantled the top end of the engine so far, end play seems good, rod bearings feel good, so just planning for new p/c's. Going to replace the dual Kadrons with a rebuilt 34-3 Pict, changing out the 009 dizzy for a newly rebuilt 034, and install a new Jopex stock style exhaust. Basically wanting an overall stockish setup for dependability. My wife is planning to use it as Friday driver, occasional use rig. Of course, take it to the Woodburn show here in Oregon someday!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It came loaded with lots of goodies!

mwallace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

Very exciting! I'm working on a 68 as well. I'm hoping its on the road this spring.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

Dang looks like a solid shell to work with, here's to hoping you don't find rust and bondo.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steelheadrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

Congrats. Looks alot like the 1970 Bus I started on a couple of months ago, that I have been posted my progress on. I live in the Spokane area. Good luck keep us updated.

Rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

There are signs that this bus had had some bumps and bruises. Long panel on driver's side had some fill work done, driver's rear corner was replaced. Also signs that there may have been a front end clip job done, but really don't care. Not going to be a show piece or full restore, just a solid running driver to use and enjoy.
My wife worked on putting in sound deadener sheets on some inner areas. Planning for a double layer over the rear cargo area above engine bay. I will also install deadener behind fuel tank area since it is removed for deep cleaning.
My plan was to spray truck bed liner coating OVER all this sound deadener after it's installed so as to cover the shiny covering and also would be another layer of sound protection. That way, if any shows through around the cargo mats, it doesn't jump right out at you.

I meantime, finished setting the endplay and installed the new flywheel seal on the engine. Installed a new Gene Berg gland nut and washer set. Cleaned and painted engine tins in preparation when the new p/c's arrive. I dug out an original bus oil bath air filter I had, '71 model. Took a while to clean out the mouse nest inside that!

I also had a pretty nice front emblem for the bus, just hanging on the shop wall!

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

More progress: Wife is working hard at getting more of the sound deadener installed. She applied a second layer going across the rear cargo area in the opposite direction rather me having to apply it inside the engine compartment above the engine. She also started on some of the doors and hatches as well. I applied the same deadener to the inside of the engine compartment, but behind and under the fuel tank area.

I have also finished going through the heads, cleaned, then handlapped the valves. We received the new p/c kit, an AA set, but looks like I will now need to get a ring file to properly set the gaps as they are a bit tight.

As I was going through the items I removed from the engine, I noticed the label on the oil cooler, Gene Berg. Good sign and hoping there are more quality components used inside the lower end, as I am not splitting the cases at this time.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

There is a special place inHeaven for wives who want a DD tin top...the best part is you are living in that part right now,,,
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

The wife has finished applying the sound deadener to the front floor area and walk through. Only the driver's door left. She said she does not want to put on the main cargo floor area for now. We'll see how it sounds once it's driving. Can always easily put it in later.

I have completed assembling the long block, set valve lash. Cleaned and painted some more parts and tin.

Also completed sound deadener and final coat of sealant in engine bay area.

I will be removing the cold start relay hanging in the engine bay, rewire and clean up engine bay harness when I get closer to engine install.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

Progress update: I have pretty much completed the engine assembly and is ready for install. I re-installed the fuel tank, removed the hard start relay that was mounted in the engine bay, and will finish going through the wiring before re-installing the engine.

I sprayed a truck bed liner system over the sound deadener for extra protection. Wasn't really happy with the spray delivery gun that was provided in the kit, but do like the applied product itself.

The wife recovered the drivers seat, stripped and painted the lower bases of the rear and middle seat, then said she needed "something to do", so I told her the front splash pan needed some straightening. Here's her handywork after spraying some undercoat to the inner side. I told her she was a good metalurgist!

She also was home this week for a day to be around for the installers of our new metal carport we had purchased, so she spent some time "restoring" the glovebox!

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

looks like the glovebox matches the seatcovers? I see a peek of a box with multi color stripes..
you sure are making it your own
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

Yeah, she's not wanting an original style rebuild. I'm fighting her to keep the flower stickers off the outside! Laughing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

Engine is in! Took some time to get it to fire up. Turns out, when cranking the engine over, there is no power at the coil, but when you let off the key, there is power...I'll have to figure out how someone wired up the aftermarket ignition. But by using a remote starter switch, voila! I also installed a fuel pressure regulator with gauge.

The wife got her seat cover kits installed and trimmed for the front seats.

And we installed the original rubbers matts. Just waiting for the ABS panel kit to finish up the interior. Yes, I know the front matt is the incorrect year.

All exterior lights are now working.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

are those universal seat covers? kind of impressed at the fit.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

No, they are just off the shelf, but the wife has sewing machines and the skills to make them fit much better. It took her some time until she was happy with them.
dembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
No, they are just off the shelf, but the wife has sewing machines and the skills to make them fit much better. It took her some time until she was happy with them.

I like those too! Where did they come from please?

69 Westy (R.I.P.)
68 Kombi
70 Westy
68 Beetle Sedan
69 Beetle Sedan
68 Deluxe
71 Deluxe
71 HT Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I hope that you do not regret using that black undercoater all over the place. I have had bad experiences with water getting underneath and surreptitiously causing rust issues. Then you get to remove it all, which is not fun.

Looks like this is going to be a really fun bus for you guys, though!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

dembus wrote:
Mark Evans wrote:

I like those too! Where did they come from please?
We found them in the automotive section at our local Bimart store.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

Been a while since an update, but we are making progress! All the ABS interior panels arrived from Werksberg. The wife really enjoyed installing them. Gives things a nice, finished look, yet utilitarian looking all the same! One more seat cover to go.

Mounted the front bumper. Rear brackets don't seem to fit the frame opening correctly, are '68 rear brackets special?

Also restored the wipers.

Once we get it "legal" to drive, we'll take it in to the shop for the ignition issue. I just won't have much more time to spend solely on Joy with Summer house remodeling season coming.
chittychittybangbang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

I was wondering what happened to that bus. Glad it found a good home!

The question of whether the resulting usage is "correct" or "incorrect" depends on one's notion of correctness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wife's new project-Joy! Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I hope that you do not regret using that black undercoater all over the place. I have had bad experiences with water getting underneath and surreptitiously causing rust issues. Then you get to remove it all, which is not fun.

Looks like this is going to be a really fun bus for you guys, though!

Agree. Great job for sure, but I also question the use of sound deadener and undercoat, especially on the front floor. Anyone have long term experience with that? It seems to me that moisture would get in there?
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: