Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CLK wheels
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
schuy2147
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

In search of a set near Phoenix!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Something else to consider when swapping to these wheels and new lugs from T3: If you are keeping a stock wheel for a spare, as I did, be sure to carry a lug wrench that will fit both the original 19mm and the new 17mm lugs to fit the CLKs. I had my stock L-shaped lug wrench and a 4-way under the rear bench but was doing some work on the van this week and discovered that my 4-way has no 17mm and nothing close enough to have worked if I'd needed it on the road.

Having had two flats with the original wheels I'm ready to deal with that, and thought I was ready with my stock spare and sets of both five stock lug nuts and five stock lug bolts for front and rear, but I'd neglected to have a proper 17mm in the van for the new wheels.

Almost outsmarted myself there so now have both sizes of the tools I'll need. Nice to discover these things while still at home instead of at the wrongest time and place.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

I need opinions/experience please.
Looking to install 16x7 ET37 forged "CLK" wheels with Nokian WR C3 tires on my 1991 Syncro Westfalia. For engine power mods, I have TT chip, 1.25 ratio rockers and Marco injectors.

I am considering the following Nokian WR C3 tires:
1) 215/60 R 16 C, rated for 7" wide rim, 26.1" diameter, 794 revs per mile
2) 205/65 R 16 C, rated for 6 1/2" wide rim, 26.5" diameter, 782 revs per mile
3) 215/65 R 16 C, rated for 7" rim, 27" diameter, 770 revs per mile

I am currently running 185R14C (820 revs per mile)
Also, will the 205/65 R 16 C tire work on the 7" wide rim even though it shows it is rated for 5.5 to 6.5" rims in the Nokian catalog?

Thanks for any advice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiltedhiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

I was running 215/75/15 on Mefro's on my 1990 Syncro tintop. I switched to 215/65/16 on CLK's. I did not notice any power change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

kiltedhiker wrote:
I was running 215/75/15 on Mefro's on my 1990 Syncro tintop. I switched to 215/65/16 on CLK's. I did not notice any power change.

The 215/65-16 tires are 2.5% smaller in diameter that the 215/75/15.
27" in dia. vs 27.7" for the 15" tires.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
kiltedhiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

DigiMatrix:

I switched to Merc's with 215/60/16's and Marco injectors at the same time, going from stock alloy 14" rims with 195/75R14 D rated BFGs. The Speedo came into spec according to the GPS, which had previously indicated ~56mph when the needle showed 60. That said, the injectors alone got me about 2-3% overall speed top on my 1/4 off the line.

Adding the 1.25:1 rockers was another good bump, but not as much as when I finally went to the acoustically tuned Vanistan/RMW exhaust. I don't think I would go to a larger overall diameter than my 26.1" rubber now though, I still can only hold ~60 steady on a 6% grade climb. But I can accelerate slowly from 55 to ~70 on my 1 mile 5% grade climb. The exhaust was the final goody that made me feel like the 2.1 WBX was going to be OK with the 26.1" rubber.

I guess the exhaust add was finally when I learned how to drive these engines. Something like 3.3K - 4.8K (I nearly hit redline on most shifts now) is actually how these are supposed to produce the power you need to move these rigs. According to many experts here, the engines are fine going to 5k rpm. Other than the sound output, I am totally fine running long distance on the freeway (where ~legal) at 75 - 80 mph (like 4.4 - 4.5k rpm).

Also, keep in mind that the 185/ tires or 195/ tires vs a 215/ is 3 or 2 cm more wide. you DO pay for more rubber on the road. Stock width is what other components of the suspension are expecting. Even an inch CAN have unexpected consequences.

-bobby
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

^
^
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

2wd 83 Westfalia
Burley Upper control arms
1.5" GoWesty lift springs
98-00 CLK 16x7 - I think ET37?

I plan to run my 'desired' 98-00 CLK wheels. I also plan on buying 215/65R16 KO2s.

I'm talking with T3 technique and trying to figure out what spacers are ideal. I'm currently running 10mm and worried about upper fender crunch.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

I run CLKs with no spacers and 215/65-16.

My wheels are ET 32 or 37 as I recall. Works fine, no issues, and no need to change rear studs! On my second set of tires.

The main reason I put that size on is load rating. 102 suits campers well.

The only down side is your slow van will be slower with this size tire!!!

Since I have a more powerful engine I can take the hit but first tends to be slow.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

My wheels are ET 32 as I recall. Works fine, no issues, and no need to change rear studs! On my second set of tires.

Since I have a more powerful engine I can take the hit but first tends to be slow.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
DirtyBlueVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

My wheels are ET 32 as I recall. Works fine, no issues, and no need to change rear studs! On my second set of tires.

I will say even with a subie 2.5 and 225/65/16 it's still kinda brutal. At this point the van just needs more gears. it is what it is though.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

First IS slow. Painfully at times.....

It LOVES 3rd.

4th is a great freeway gear as long as I am above 3K rpm.

I get lower 20s for mpg too.

Not perfect, but not brutal either.

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

I found a deal on some 215/65r16 General Grabbers for $200 a set - installed. Decided its time to put on my CLKs. I had to decide between my $155 chrome set or my $200 powdercoated black set.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I went with the chrome set.

I'm currently running 10mm spacers but I think that is too much. In the rear I can run no spacers. In the front I'm not sure. Need to do some testing.
ezmass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Recently installed a set of CLK's on my 1990 Multivan. Running 7mm spacers & conversion studs up front from T3, no spacers on rear for now. I went with 215/60 Nokian Entyre 2.0, mainly because SmallCar and VanCafe both sell this tire so I figured it was well suited for the Van.

Last edited by ezmass on Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Ezmass, how do you like the tires?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ezmass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

I haven't put many miles on them yet and these are the first 16" tires I've had on the van so I don't have much to compare them to, but based on my limited experience I think they'll work out fine.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Jake I’ve got about 15k on the entyre 2.0 6 thumbs up from me quiet good all around traction and still lots of life left.

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Mike, what are you running for pressures?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

set of 4 CLK's in Stone Mountain, GA - facebook marketplace - $350

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/235159417898842/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Jump to:
Page 57 of 66

Jump to: