Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turnkey Supercharged Motor
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msksoccer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

Searching the internet and The Samba, there are plenty of turn key companies and guys out there mocking up type one motors with Turbo's but not many offering or promoting Superchargers. I am Looking for something that has bottom end torque vs HP in that 4k to 6k RPM Range. ISO a turn key motor that has some grunt to it... suggestions? I need a motor!

[/img]
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

there are a lot of reasons not to use a super charger on a vw air cooled engine.

how much 4k-6k rpm torque do you really need? a well chosen and well built 2332cc combo will provide a TON of torque. Probably more than you realize.

what vehicle are you putting this in? and how will you be driving it?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

Maybe this guy can hook you up.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1605097

Good Luck

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Good Luck

Guy's been trying to sell it since 2014!! Laughing

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msksoccer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

Thx, I am putting this in a custom 56 Rag Top. I have a Rancho Transaxle with full air ride and 4 wheel disc. Doing the body work and paint now.
msksoccer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Good Luck

Thx! Would look awesome but way out of my budget for just the blower!
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

Check with thedubshop. I think he has a kit for an AMR supercharger, and should be able to do a turnkey setup as well.

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

The Dick Landy kits were and are some of the best. I have a friend who has one on an otherwise basically stock 1679 that put 110 HP to the tires on his buggy. They are so expensive because there are only a few kits left and the less there are, the more they go up. My question is, what makes you think you can't make great low end torque with a turbo?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

Super chargers on a vdub are almost always mounted inside the engine compartment. Especially root blower styles. Thus they create heat. Have you checked out the jo blow AMR 500 kits? Also, what type of car is it going into?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

c77owen wrote:
The Dick Landy kits were and are some of the best. I have a friend who has one on an otherwise basically stock 1679 that put 110 HP to the tires on his buggy. They are so expensive because there are only a few kits left and the less there are, the more they go up. My question is, what makes you think you can't make great low end torque with a turbo?

Yes, turbo for the win. Super chargers look cool, and are a little more simple. But thats all they have going for them.

... I hear someone comming... i think its the samba anti turbo police Very Happy
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

without knowing for sure , won't you be adding a excess amount of stress to the # 4 main bearing and crank???

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

The problem is there's no room. A turbo fits pretty easily. The fan shroud limits the space you can push a supercharger back, and the sharp angle of the decklid complicates it. Im doing an AMR500 40hp because I already have this engine. It's just for fun, really. It fits, but only because I am doing a TBI mounted sideways next to the supercharger.

Something has to give- can't run a decklid, run the blower in the center and carb off the side, run the blower off to the side and carb in the middle, or EFI and fit wherever. The AMR500 is tiny but the power needed to use on a 1600 or larger means you have to overdrive the hell out of it. That creates heat and less service life. If you use a small displacement engine that it was designed for (around 1000 cc) it will last longer. They come off of modern Japanese micro cars with tiny engines and EFI.

A small turbo will be easier for larger engines. If my goal was REAL torque and power increase, I would turbo all the way. I'm making a 40hp drive like a 1600-1776, so this tiny blower works for me.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

Yeah, supercharging a type 1 generally works well, with the right charger and intake. But it adds up.
I would ask a little different: What is your goal ? There is more than one way to skin as cat. Lke menthioned above, a larger cc n/a mild cammed engine can give you good lower rpm torque and still decent power on top. It is "just" a matter of choosing the right combo.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

My take:

I have built a big (2332cc) superchanged drag motor once.
It had a Camden 5" supercharger on it with a 4bbl on top.
It sounded mean as F**K.

would only push my drag car to a 12.20sec in the 1/4.

Same motor would run 11.80's as normally aspirated.

I then pulled the supercharger off and put a turbo on the exact same motor and went mid 10's instantly in the 1/4mi.

Never looked back after that.

Superchargers use HP 100% of the time. So they get hot real fast and so does the intake charge. Gas milage sucks...
Don't expect more than about 7-9psi out of one too. they just can't get enough HP thru that little belt to make a bunch of boost.

The AMR500 kits are nice, but are right on par with the same money put into a bigger size N/A motor. (without all the heat).

To see my Supercharger experiment, look up "Simpson Racing Engines" on youtube. You can see all my testing videos.
The Supercharger one has like 60,000 views..
msksoccer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Yeah, supercharging a type 1 generally works well, with the right charger and intake. But it adds up.
I would ask a little different: What is your goal ? There is more than one way to skin as cat. Lke menthioned above, a larger cc n/a mild cammed engine can give you good lower rpm torque and still decent power on top. It is "just" a matter of choosing the right combo.

Alstrup: What's the Goal... Great Question!
Power off the line without screaming RPM's
Sound mean as hell, I may want it to look like a VW but not sound or act like one.
Ideally under the deck lid or with the lid modified / cut in someway. but on the car.

Great stuff, thanks for the insights!
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

msksoccer wrote:

Sound mean as hell, I may want it to look like a VW but not sound or act like one.
Ideally under the deck lid or with the lid modified / cut in someway. but on the car.

I guarantee a well built N/A 2332 will have power off the line without screaming.

but, a 2332 with 10lbs of boost on top will also have plenty of power off the line without screaming. Wink

supercharged beetles are very uncommon for a reason.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

and build the header for a twin scroll hybrid style turbo. or super charger. the super charger needs to be sized for the engine or you may run out of supper.also ex has to come into play either way.as well as does carb's/injection/tuning skills&engine build..
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

msksoccer wrote:
Alstrup wrote:

To fit a blower in an Oval compartment, you have less than a foot of space between the decklid and fan shroud. The AMR500 is like 9 inches deep, the size of an average alternator. This fits with about an inch to spare on my 58, using a 40hp and its narrow fan and shroud. No distributor(crank fire), no carb (sideways mounted FI throttle body) just to fit. I also prefer a seperate serpentine pulley setup with its own adjustment, which forces the whole thing even closer to the lid. its a pain in the ass. Then you have linkage issues and an intake to design.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I upped the size of the manifold and tapered down to tiny intake port right at the head. But, I like punishment and a challenge. None of this will compare to a dual carb 1776 or bigger.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

Before I changed my cam, my 1600 was stock other than some old worn out single HD springs. I heard "Holy Sh!t!" everytime someone went for a ride with me. Acceleration was shocking! Though I am efi, intercooled, turbo, and E85 at 30 psi. Engine took it just fine. I have since changed the cam and lifters, but still on cast 85.5mm pistons and stock home ported heads (no clue what I was doing) and cheap valves/valve job. Starts making boost right at 2200rpm with a small turbo and will make you squeal like a little girl once you get near 20 psi. I never made it to the dyno before changing the cam but I'm betting I was around 235-245 crank hp. Lots of torque along the way too. Super tame and drive able off boost. On boost... Not so tame. I think it sounds cool too!
With the new cam (which is way too big for if) it takes a few extra rpms to make full boost. Stock cam was way more drive able in town. Super super fun!

Link
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Supercharged Motor Reply with quote

one of my next builds i was thinking about running a 2.3 pinto engine ( just because i have it ) and mounting an E90 or is it M90 ? supercharger to it instead of turbocharging it ( obviously you have to boost it one way or another ). and like someone previously posted it wont boost more than maybe 10lbs ( i dont remember exact numbers for this supercharger ) and even at that its getting to the point of being inefficient, and whatever i was reading and calculating came up with it taking 40 h.p. just to drive the supercharger at that level of boost.
after my research on that, ill stick with turbos.
i do have a really cool supercharger that came off of a Mercedes , i think, that has an electronic clutch on it like whats on an a/c compressor! imagine flipping a dash switch to turn on your supercharger like on the old mad max movie! heh heh
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: