Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

91 Vanagon 2.1 starts, runs a few minutes, dies then won't start
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisandGabrielle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: 91 Vanagon 2.1 starts, runs a few minutes, dies then won't start Reply with quote

Thought it might be Vanagon Syndrome, but will not start after dying or if it sort of does engine sputters and shakes violently and dies slowly. Newish (last fall, garaged all winter) O2 sensor, newish fuel filters and pump, newish ground strap, cleaned and inspected all rear and battery grounds, catalytic converter is also newish. Cap, rotor plug wires and plugs, and all look good, cannot find any vacuum leaks, but those are tricky for me. I cannot figure out how to remove AFM cover and do not want to break it, just to take a look. Of course any of the new parts could be failing, but I do not think so. Not sure what to check next or if it is time to tow it to the mechanic. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 starts, runs a few minutes, dies then won't start Reply with quote

Sounds like a TSII problem, but instead of guessing you should do a complete diagnostic from the plug on the ECU as per the manual.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 starts, runs a few minutes, dies then won't start Reply with quote

Has the fuel gone bad? Possible if it's too old. It would have a foul smell.

How are the park plugs?

02 sensor wiring. Do a search on this, very common for the fragile wire to get grounded.
ChrisandGabrielle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 starts, runs a few minutes, dies then won't start Reply with quote

The problem first occurred in October last year. Started with occasional bucking and surging, that got worse and then stopped us in our tracks. Would not start then or when we got it home. Towed it home and it has been resting in the garage since then though I stated it a couple times to check and it started and idled fine, but I did not run it long or drive it. Gas should be fine, but I am getting a slight gas smell after the attempted rough starts. I pulled all 4 plugs and they were fine. The oxygen sensor is new last fall.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 starts, runs a few minutes, dies then won't start Reply with quote

I agree with wildthings; do the diagnostic testing per Bentley and/or the pro training manual:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=725680

Start by testing your tsII if it’s good go to step 1 in the pro training manual, proceed.
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 starts, runs a few minutes, dies then won't start Reply with quote

^^^
weswsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 starts, runs a few minutes, dies then won't start Reply with quote

start with the simple things....

remove and replace your fuel filter, while you're at it, drain some gas into a clear jar. Does it smell and look like varnish? Is there rust in it? Did you change your gas cap? Does it run with gas cap off?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 starts, runs a few minutes, dies then won't start Reply with quote

Have you got the Digifant Pro Training Manual or the Bentley to do the diagnosis step by step?

You can download the Digifant Pro Training Manual through these links:

https://www.google.com/search?channel=tus&q=digifant+protraining+manual+type%3Apdf

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
ChrisandGabrielle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 starts, runs a few minutes, dies then won't start Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I have the Bently and appreciate the links to the Digifant. I will check the items suggested and report back.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: