Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auxiliary battery under bench seat
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerrys76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Auxiliary battery under bench seat Reply with quote

Has anyone mounted their aux/camping battery under the bench (folding bed) seat? is this safe or better in the engine compartment? I've got a solar kit i'm installing and thinking the battery and charge controller would be easier to get to if it were under the seat...

("76 westy, FI, does not have stock 2nd battery set up)

Thanks!
tweeter77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary battery under bench seat Reply with quote

What type of battery?
badufay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary battery under bench seat Reply with quote

I don't see why, Bugs have it under the rear seat. I tossed around the idea of putting my aux battery under the rear seat, but opted for the heater under the seat and battery in the engine bay. My charging relay and wiring are all under the bench though.
Previous: 2015 Golf S TDI, 6 spd man; 2015 Jetta SE TDI, 6 spd man; 12 Jetta 2.5L, 04 Jetta 2.0L, 02 Golf 2.0L, 98 Jetta 2.0L, 98 Golf 2.0L, 98 Cabrio 2.0L, 95 Golf 2.0L, 87 golf GTI 16 valve 1.8L, 86 Cabriolet 1.6L, 80 Audi 4000 1.6L, 76 Audi Fox 1.6L, 76 VW Beetle 1.6L, 74 Audi Fox 1.5L, 69 VW Beetle 1.5L
Jerrys76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary battery under bench seat Reply with quote

It would be a 12V deep cycle battery. I've heard they don't do well in warmer conditions... ie engine compartment.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary battery under bench seat Reply with quote

Jerrys76 wrote:
It would be a 12V deep cycle battery. I've heard they don't do well in warmer conditions... ie engine compartment.

I think that has a lot to do with how you charge, discharge, and store the battery. I can't give you general statistics on deep cycle batteries, but I can tell you about one, which is nine years old and still cranking my daily driver bus engine over every day. It also runs my fridge every day all summer, alongside the laptop/tablet/digital camera chargers on tour.

In my experience, battery quality is MOST important. Since battery manufacturers spec the quality of lead in their cells, quality of final product is USUALLY reflected in price. I can't say that's the rule, but a cheap battery usually won't be worth its weight.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oil Phil-M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary battery under bench seat Reply with quote

A totally sealed up AGM battery will be the safest. Will also need a sturdy means to protect the terminals so nothing you store under the seat ever leads to a short. I plan on relocating mine someday to the same location.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary battery under bench seat Reply with quote

Here you go. Series 31 AGM battery in battery box strapped to the floor. As well there is a power converter and ATC fuse panel at the rear. Fuses for BN4 heater, Nova Kool compressor style fridge, 12V outlets, lights etc. So 110V and 12V charging for the battery. Partition to the right of the battery box has ventilation slots to aid in cooling the power converter. Electrical system has been problem free going on 7 years.

To the right is a center multi- directional discharge outlet for the BN4 heater. Hot air blows right up between the cabinets so the cab area gets hot fast. Genuine 90mm Espar flexible heater ducting is covered with flexible metal duct pipe to insulate and protect the Espar ducting.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: