Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

^X2. Exciting stuff
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

A friend in PA just sent me this. A pic he took of my bus long before i got it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rfreddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Hey Dave,

Since we have a coupla things similar and you have done such an incredible job - I went back thru your thread again. I can't believe how many things I missed. Also noticed some guy dumped a lot of pics on it. Sorry about that - I wasn't trying to hack your thread. Got a little carried away. I know what it's like to get worn down. I have been at mine for 6 years and sometimes I just have to walk away for a bit. The turning point for me was getting the front cage done and the nose and front floor in. That's when I decided to submit my project thread.

It is amazing what you have done. I was never a big fan of phone dials but those white ones are sweet. The 21 window idea was a good one.

When you fabbed the new frame rails - you scored them and bent them then welded up the score lines. Never seen that done, but it makes sense - gives you a clean tight bend and reinforces it at the same time.

Still like to see your shifter solution

Great job.
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Whoa, I haven't checked in on this thread in a while and you've been busy! This thing is just looking absolutely killer. This has got to be my favorite thread to come back to for motivation for my bus. Cool Any updates??
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
braddick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Any updates mate
One of my favourite build threads and bus here on thesamba
Almarmada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Update for this amazing bus and the incredible work done by busjunkie. The typewriter bus has found a new home with me and it's in good hands. Work continues at a much slower and unprofessional and unskilled fashion since I'm learning fabrication and methods. But I've been tackling the brake system and tracked down a great set of Porsche 944 turbo calipers from an 86. Ordered new brake lines, 67 MC, hub spacers for the caliper adapters and getting some custom SS brake lines worked up to make it all work. Here's some photos of my shitty fabwork. First time welding/fabwork. Also...it will be turbo'd...

Almarmada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

That brake bracket looks scary to me. You may want to have someone with a bigger welder tackle those welds. You have no penetration.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
That brake bracket looks scary to me. You may want to have someone with a bigger welder tackle those welds. You have no penetration.

those looks more like reminders to go back and weld this.....

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Culito

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Bulli Klinik wrote:

It's probably fine if things are bolting through the bracket, and those tacks are just to hold the nuts in place.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
mandraks wrote:
Bulli Klinik wrote:

It's probably fine if things are bolting through the bracket, and those tacks are just to hold the nuts in place.

Suspenders AND a belt. Weld that schiesse up!

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Almarmada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

I knew I should have never posted pics of the bracket haha ....I ground off the primer and redid them today. I cranked up the voltage and went all the way around instead of tacking them and it's much better all around. They were just tacks to hold them in place since it was bolted through the bracket with threads in the bracket and in the nuts. I took your advice though and redid them anyway since I'm self isolating in my garage lol.
Almarmada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

I'd also question the tensile strength of those gal bolts...
Almarmada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

zimblewinder wrote:
I'd also question the tensile strength of those gal bolts...

All hardware is going to be grade 10.9. For now I was just using whatever metric I had for mock up. I'm also going to weld a rib between the caliper mounting spacers on the bracket.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Almarmada wrote:
I knew I should have never posted pics of the bracket haha ....I ground off the primer and redid them today. I cranked up the voltage and went all the way around instead of tacking them and it's much better all around. They were just tacks to hold them in place since it was bolted through the bracket with threads in the bracket and in the nuts. I took your advice though and redid them anyway since I'm self isolating in my garage lol.

You're welding 1/4" plate at least. You're machine should be MAXXED unless you have a very heavy duty welder. Not having seen your equipment, that's a struggle for a standard 170 amp/220v machine. A 110 machine is not going to cut it.

You can do a root pass then multiple passes if the material is beveled properly. From what I'm seeing you need to do a little bit more studying on welding thick materials. I'm not trying to be an ass, but things like brake brackets are important. It's not like a weld on your rock and roll bed breaking while your getting down.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Almarmada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

You're right...I appreciate the advice. I'm going to reassess my approach and probably have a local welder redo them. Always love constructive criticism especially on brake brackets. I have learned a lot and enjoyed figuring it out though.
Almarmada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
It's not like a weld on your rock and roll bed breaking while your getting down.

Haha and I like to get down.
Mr Margaret Scratcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

BusJunky wrote:
ryans65 wrote:
did you use the overlap then cut method on your longside to get the gap that tight?
I did, yes. You should get that floor chunk today. I sent you tracking. Hope it works for ya.

Great build, I read it a while back but always good to go through again, especially now I've started digging into my bus.

Excuse the 'thread from the dead' but I just thought I'd get you to clarify on this - is this like what Fitzee call 'Cut n Butt' ie you cut at a 45 degree angle along the edge of your replacement panel?

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Jump to:
Page 22 of 22

Jump to: