Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 to 1972 swap???
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: 1970 to 1972 swap??? Reply with quote

I have another thread on a 1970 with a subaru swap I'm slowly working on between work, family, and pandemic requirements but I came across a cheap 1972 shell that would save me time and money in the body work and paint department so I figured I get some feedback on what you all think.

My thought was I could get the 72 body cleaned up a lot quicker than the 70 and then move the engine, transmission, interior, etc over to the 72. Anything that would be a deal breaker for this (engine / transmission placement & compatibility)? 72 year specifics that may be a PIA moving forward?
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 to 1972 swap??? Reply with quote

The '70 should have a upright engine, where the '72 is the 1st year of the flat four engine, so there's that. Or are you looking to move the Subie engine into the '72 ? I'd say anything can be done w/ the right amount of time & money, I'm sure it is not a slap it in & roll, more a chop & weld one type engine bay into another.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 to 1972 swap??? Reply with quote

I may be missing something, but I can only think of a couple of issues. The 1972 doesn't have a removable rear apron(the sheet metal behind the engine)which could make the engine swap a little harder, and I think some of the interior panels above the engine may not fit between the two. Also, the input shaft on the transmission is 10 mm longer, so may need to be cut to match your engine swap. There's people who know more about the Subaru conversion than I do, and may chime in. Other than that you get disc brakes, and whatever other improvements I forgot between the 2 years. The styling is a little different between the two, and many enthuasiasts think the earlier is more pure to the essence of the Volkswagen Bus.
But other than that. I can't think of any thing that would be a deal braker.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 to 1972 swap??? Reply with quote

A 72 is very different from a 70, they look close but there's a thousand tiny improvements to electrical, mechanical and body parts that the untrained eye doesn't see until they attempt to swap parts.
But if you are already planning a Subaru swap you'll be adapting anyways so it won't matter much, but don't count on too many other parts from the 70 fitting the 72.
The 72 is a better bus as a Subaru candidate than the 70 IMO.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Merling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 to 1972 swap??? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, the 70 currently has the Subaru in and it's all running but needs body and under carriage work. My plan is to pull everything out, deal with the body and then reinstall. Sounds like the differences may be more headache than it's worth so I'll forge ahead.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 to 1972 swap??? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

meh...neither have an access hatch so it's 6 of 1 half dozen of the other.

I have done it in an early bay without a hatch. not that big of a deal, but for sanity sake if/when service is needed just pull the intake off when service is needed. when laid out correctly its a 5 minute ordeal and a couple of intake gaskets

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 to 1972 swap??? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

meh...neither have an access hatch so it's 6 of 1 half dozen of the other.

I have done it in an early bay without a hatch. not that big of a deal, but for sanity sake if/when service is needed just pull the intake off when service is needed. when laid out correctly its a 5 minute ordeal and a couple of intake gaskets

Agreed, I was thinking more along the lines of better brakes, electrics, cabin air flow and crash reinforcements.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: