Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

COVID-19
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Starbucks just closed all locations except drive thrus (some near hospital exceptions)

Ok damn that's serious Laughing

I don't do Starbucks much, use my own kurig but that's a huge closure. Have a friend that works there, they are giving him 30days pay and a promised rehire but shit...

We only have one Starbucks here with a drive-thru but it's been on drive-thru only for a few days as far as I could tell. Parking lot was empty but drive-thru had people in it.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

All i can say is WE, meaning all Americans, need to make sure our economy recovers quickly or China will eat our lunch. Because they play the long game and have the entire wealth and power of the government running things.

as I said earlier...they should forgive any loans to any nations they lent to. they are going to be in a world of hurt moving forward I think.

quote from some financial rag:

“If you need any evidence how the trade spat is impacting a country’s economic health then look no further than China trade. The lower export number means lower jobs, which means another direct impact on the (Chinese) economy. Donald Trump can be pleased. His policies have brought China to its knees.”

we can fuck them harder than they have fucked us, without even firing a shot. china couldn't even get the EU on board. early in the trade war, china thought it get the Europeans as allies. they hate Trump, too. china failed to woo the EU.

this whole mess started in their "wet markets" which exist because they can't feed their population. we can starve them into submission...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Not exclusive to my hood but a great idea. Carry on.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/14/portland-distillery-...-shortage/

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/health/coronavirus-italy-men-risk.html

Last edited by Spezialist on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Ha!
We haven't been to our house in Pa, and probably won't go for the foreseeable future.

My Daughter informed us that she went and took the house plants home some perishables and took a load of firewood.

The kicker is, SHE TOOK OUR TOILET PAPER SUPPLY AS WELL!!

Tough times! Robbing your elderly parents home...... Laughing Laughing

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

She did not rob you, she prevented a break and enter! You should know better than to leave valuables like that unguarded!

Shame on you for leaving a burden like that on your own child!! She could have been mugged on her way home!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

You didn’t move your GPS tracker from the vanagonto the TP stash?

We have lots of TP in stores up here
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Starbucks just closed all locations except drive thrus (some near hospital exceptions)

Ok damn that's serious Laughing

I don't do Starbucks much, use my own kurig but that's a huge closure. Have a friend that works there, they are giving him 30days pay and a promised rehire but shit...

Thanks for bringing some positives to this thread

Very Happy
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Those kurig things make a lot of plastic trash.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

A worker at our local Starbucks, and at a local pizza place, tested positive.

I understand that lots of restaurants are barely getting by with take out, but I’m also worried that the virus may spread this way.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Those kurig things make a lot of plastic trash.

Not really, you can take off the foil top and throw it away, then use the coffee for compost then wash and recycle the main body of the cu......HEY WAIT A MINUTE!!!! You cleverly changed the subject...a diversion....

So...COVID-19.......
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Here in Kelowna, B.C. there have been many closure, many cutting back hours of operation, all restaurants have moved to take-out only. People (who take it seriously) are following the social distancing protocols when out in public and are all wearing gloves.

They have also been posting timelines of how our city survived the Spanish Flu. One of the best quotes was from the Mayor of Kelowna, which at the time would have been a very small town, " Don't spread the disease to 12 people while you are trying to decide if you have it. "

So, keep you and yours safe, but care for the people around you too. Keep your humanity through all of this, leave the politics to the politicians.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2020/03/20...-covid-19/
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Quote:
we can fuck them harder than they have fucked us,

Now there is a well thought out global economic approach to prosperity...... Rolling Eyes

Seriously...stick to your economic microcosm.....global economics is not for you.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Unfortunately, not legal. Hand sanitizer is an over the counter (OTC) pharmaceutical, and all such products are considered drugs by the FDA. That means that they need to be manufactured under cGMP conditions, assayed by validated cGMP test procedures, use ingredients made under cGMP conditions, and stability over time documented in their finished containers, among others.

Yes, FDA is likely way to busy right now to look into this, and topical products are investigated more loosely than ingested and injected pharmaceuticals, but it's still an FDA violation.

I know: I had over 4 decades working with OTC pharmaceuticals at Dial/Henkel, including alcohol-based hand sanitizers. I developed and cGMP-validated the ethanol procedures for our own hand sanitizer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Seems like the key point is they aren't making any medical claims, and they aren't charging for it.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2020/03/20...-covid-19/

Their work on what sounds like home C-PAP machines reminded me of hearing this on NPR last night.

Seems like a large percentage of anesthesia machines can be fairly easily retrofitted to work as a ventilator. Transcript of this part of the discussion starts about 1/4 down:

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/20/819186514/the-latest-developments-around-federal-coronavirus-response

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Quote:
we can fuck them harder than they have fucked us,

Now there is a well thought out global economic approach to prosperity...... Rolling Eyes

Seriously...stick to your economic microcosm.....global economics is not for you.

Laughing

glad to see this mess isn't working its way into your life yet. I have one friend who owns his own business that is now looking for a job(he's in interstate commerce. if the wheels aren't turning, he's not earning) another shop owner has let go of his staff, all 8 of them, even though we (auto repair) are considered 'essential' and can operate.

I have a client who does commercial kitchen installs, laid off yesterday because they can't get in anywhere to do installs... and up until this bullshit they have done 1m in sales so far this year. according to him, average year is 5-7m. the owner has let everyone go, some of which were 25-30 year employees... and these are people I know in CT, MA, RI

this is only the tip of the iceburg

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Unfortunately, not legal. Hand sanitizer is an over the counter (OTC) pharmaceutical, and all such products are considered drugs by the FDA. That means that they need to be manufactured under cGMP conditions, assayed by validated cGMP test procedures, use ingredients made under cGMP conditions, and stability over time documented in their finished containers, among others.

Yes, FDA is likely way to busy right now to look into this, and topical products are investigated more loosely than ingested and injected pharmaceuticals, but it's still an FDA violation.

I know: I had over 4 decades working with OTC pharmaceuticals at Dial/Henkel, including alcohol-based hand sanitizers. I developed and cGMP-validated the ethanol procedures for our own hand sanitizer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A rum distillery near me is doing it. Said it took a couple days to get a temporary ok... He's giving it away with a rum purchase, or couple bucks a bottle. I have some friends headed that way this morning
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: COVID-19 Reply with quote

Does everyone here think they are not going to get it? Reads like that...

Everything I'm reading is that you're most likely going to get it, they are just attempting to slow the spread so the hospitals and such have a chance. I think small towns are gonna have it bad once people let their guard down. The little simulations in this link are great

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 53 of 60

Jump to: