Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 437, 438, 439 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The O ring for the spout is a hardware store item. The faucet rubber seal (can’t think of correct name) is another story. I searched everywhere, no luck. Finally robed one off an old Westy faucet and now no leaks.
Let me know if anyone has a source as they don’t last forever.
Slip
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Slip356 wrote:
The O ring for the spout is a hardware store item. The faucet rubber seal (can’t think of correct name) is another story. I searched everywhere, no luck. Finally robed one off an old Westy faucet and now no leaks.
Let me know if anyone has a source as they don’t last forever.
Slip

I ended up yanking (the spout was really in there) the faucet out to replace the seal. It was torn when I removed it, though I don’t know if that was the true condition or took place when I pulled it out. Matched it up to some o-rings I had, reinstalled.

Now, it leaks worse. Laughing

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

1978 vw 2.0L EFI, Power Brakes.

I'm slowly loosing brake fluid, and can't find a leak anywhere. I assume that master cylinder is leaking into the brake booster, is there anyway to confirm this with out taking it all apart? Would i find brake fluid in the vacuum line by the engine?

Or am i loosing fluid anywhere else? Like the brake light switch? Could the fluid be leaking into the wires... could I check the brake light bulbs and see if theyre filled with brake fluid??<<< sorry, been social distancing all week and going crazy, first half of this post was a real question>>>> Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:
1978 vw 2.0L EFI, Power Brakes.

I'm slowly loosing brake fluid, and can't find a leak anywhere. I assume that master cylinder is leaking into the brake booster, is there anyway to confirm this with out taking it all apart? Would i find brake fluid in the vacuum line by the engine?

Or am i loosing fluid anywhere else? Like the brake light switch? Could the fluid be leaking into the wires... could I check the brake light bulbs and see if theyre filled with brake fluid??<<< sorry, been social distancing all week and going crazy, first half of this post was a real question>>>> Laughing

Loosen the master from the booster and see if there is any fluid to be seen.
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Seems to be some. Do I just need to replace the o-ring between the master and booster:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Or do the seals inside the master itself need to be replaced?

Or is it easier to just by a new unit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:
Seems to be some. Do I just need to replace the o-ring between the master and booster:

If only it was that easy, you need to replace the master cylinder, and wash out the booster now since it's contaminated with brake fluid. Sad

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:

I agree with Busdaddy, you need to replace the master cylinder and drain the booster as best you can. The seals in the master are what separate the brake fluid and the vacuum in the booster, the o-ring just seals between the vacuum and the ambient air.
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

First time bay owner, 71 Westy. My body guy is wondering if the small hole below the tail light opening in lower right corner of panel should be there (not the apron)? If so, both sides? And what for?

1956 Iris Blue Convertible
1958 Pearl White Lowlight KG Convertible
1961 Turkis Ragtop
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

laneven28 wrote:
First time bay owner, 71 Westy. My body guy is wondering if the small hole below the tail light opening in lower right corner of panel should be there (not the apron)? If so, both sides? And what for?

Yes, it was there from the factory. Probably for some kind of rust-proofing chassis spray.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

laneven28 wrote:

Yes, it was there from the factory. Probably for some kind of rust-proofing chassis spray.

Robbie

Thanks. Do you know if the hole was on both sides? I would assume so, but assuming has got me in trouble before.
1961 Turkis Ragtop
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

laneven28 wrote:
laneven28 wrote:

Robbie

Thanks. Do you know if the hole was on both sides? I would assume so, but assuming has got me in trouble before.

Yes, both sides once matched.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The hole on the right side tends to disappear earlier because of acid from the starting battery.
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks everyone
1961 Turkis Ragtop
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

There are still sources for the clear caps that finish these holes off.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maz-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Would it be stupid to just cut off this "diagnostic tool" bracket? I'm pretty sure I won't ever use it. Tidying up the engine bay as we speak and it would make things a lot neater. Has anyone else here just cut the thing off?

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

the trans fill and drain plugs on my manual 73 bus are 17mm, right?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:

Correct.

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:

Yep. "Allen head" helps with searching websites or hardware stores.

maz-o wrote:
Would it be stupid to just cut off this "diagnostic tool" bracket? I'm pretty sure I won't ever use it. Tidying up the engine bay as we speak and it would make things a lot neater. Has anyone else here just cut the thing off?

You would not be the first, nor the last. Smile I'd probably use it to mount an engine compartment light switch, perhaps a push-button momentary switch that engages when you open the deck lid? If you can make the cut clean and avoid an arm-slicing finish, it's your bus. You won't win a concours show, but then again, camping at the beach is better than Pebble Beach 10 times out of 10.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

maz-o wrote:

[img]pic[/img]

It's your bus, the diagnostic plug is pretty well a non functional decoration these days, if you want it gone do it.

Слава Україні!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
maz-o wrote:

[img]pic[/img]

It's your bus, the diagnostic plug is pretty well a non functional decoration these days, if you want it gone do it.

I think there is a small market for the female side of this pug for some that want to play with this port cleanly. maybe 3d print? Unfortunate that the only examples for a scan (for printing) are on diagnostic units that were put in the landfill a long time ago.
has anyone here found one of them? not for my grand 3d plan, but just for fun?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 437, 438, 439 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 438 of 515

Jump to: