Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Cabinets 3.0
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

Third van, third time making cabinets. After pulling up the piece of linoleum laid down by the PO, my father, I found that there was a fair bit of mold and water damage to the original cabinets. The leak was coming in sliding middle window, above the kitchenette, and was running inside the wall and under the flooring. At that point I knew it was time for a full renovation. Gutted the interior, had the holes welded up, insulated the walls, and began cabinet build 3.0.

My last van had a somewhat similar design, but different construction method, and was written about here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight= The last set were one width fron to back, where as the new set juts out in front of the bed to accommodate the Engel 45. This is the final outcome of that cabinet build:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are some photos of the most recent build. All of which is built out of 5/8", 1/2", and 3/8" European spec Birch plywood. I used thinner where I could get away with in order to shave weight here and there.

Original cabinets being removed

Image of the carpet condition

Floor trimmed in aluminum to protect the edges.

The first box to be made was a replacement for the westy bed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

The European Baltic Birch has a more veneers per sheet, less voids, and nice thick veneers for the faces, as opposed to a thin sheet.

Building the kitchenette box.

Drilling holes for fridge ventilation as well as a little weight reduction.

Particularly proud of this little joint that runs along the top of the middle cabinet.

More cutouts for weight cuts, plus these allow me to see into the water tank.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

WOW! Impressive! I'd love to see more pictures of the build. I have some cabinet ideas that involve similar elements to your frig set up. What brand/weight capacity of drawer slides did you use and what kind of locking mechanism will keep yours from sliding out while driving?

Hans
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing and showing those details. Nice looking work!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
WOW! Impressive! I'd love to see more pictures of the build. I have some cabinet ideas that involve similar elements to your frig set up. What brand/weight capacity of drawer slides did you use and what kind of locking mechanism will keep yours from sliding out while driving?

Hans

Thank you! The slides are just the ball bearing slides from Home Depot, so rated at 100lbs. Fridge with food should be less than that, but may opt to purchase some heavier duty slides with the locking mechanism built in. These are just what I had handy.

Currently, I have a slide latch in place that goes into the platform to keep it from moving.
VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Thanks for sharing and showing those details. Nice looking work!

Neil.

Thank you Neil! This is my third time every making cabinets, and each time they look significantly different in their construction method.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

Beautiful! I love seeing good ideas executed well. It also looks like you kept things fairly simple and effective.

Was the water tank a custom build or did you find one that fit perfectly? Where did it come from, a marine tank provider?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

Has anyone here used this software to design an interior layout?

https://vanspace3d.com/home-v3d

Link

Crank up the headphones for the groovy musak

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

The toilet is through the well and into the wheel in that video Laughing
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

I’ve been putting off a pantry remodel at my house. Are you passing through Montana any time soon?
VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Beautiful! I love seeing good ideas executed well. It also looks like you kept things fairly simple and effective.

Was the water tank a custom build or did you find one that fit perfectly? Where did it come from, a marine tank provider?

Thank you for the kind words. Definitely trying to keep things simple and light as possible.

The van was originally an ASI Riviera, so the water tank that I used is the one that it was originally built with, so is custom shaped to fit the contours of the firewall.
VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
I’ve been putting off a pantry remodel at my house. Are you passing through Montana any time soon?

Haha, depending on how this Coronavirus thing pans out, we may hit the road in search of new employment Wink
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

Really nice work! I've been following along on IG but it's nice to see the detail and pics here. Thanks for sharing.

How is the cabinet anchored to the van?

Are you planning to build out more storage at the hatch end?
VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

erste wrote:
Really nice work! I've been following along on IG but it's nice to see the detail and pics here. Thanks for sharing.

How is the cabinet anchored to the van?

Are you planning to build out more storage at the hatch end?

Yeah, building a base cabinet now to take up that rear third, next to the bed. Going to do bypass sliding doors so I can access the contents without having to swing anything outward towards the bed. There is now a divider panel halfway to add support to the countertop. Once this is done, I will begin building a small cabinet that sits on top with cubby holes. The top of that cabinet will also, likely, house my solar charge controller. (it will also hide the ugly torn headliner.)

VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

Got around to painting this weekend, as well as building the upper cabinet in the back. I originally had planned, and built, a little cubby, but found it to feel awkward size wise. Went bigger, and am currently happy with that choice. The panel on the upper cabinet will hinge from the bottom, making a small table perfect for watching a movie in the back.

erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

Applause
Love the color.

thanks for sharing the build!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

Likewise! Beautiful work! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

erste wrote:
Applause
Love the color.

thanks for sharing the build!

Thank you, happy with the color choice... less happy about my choice to go matte finish. Looks cool, but may show dirt a bit too easy.
VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Likewise! Beautiful work! Cool

- Dave

Thank you!
SyncroBouree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cabinets 3.0 Reply with quote

So many terrific ideas, well executed! Thank you very much for sharing your ideas and documenting the outcomes.

I'm so glad I didn't see this thread before I started my camper refresh this past Winter -- I'd never get it completed this year, hihihi.
1979 Harley Lowrider -- Donated to a good home
1969 Ford Bronco Half-Cab 351W, Toploader, Dana 44 FE, Detroit Locker, Duffy’s Suspension – wish I still had it
1962 GMC 3/4T Fleetside, V6<-Chevy 409 w/factory headers, Camper/Tow Rig – ditto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: