Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy repro roof rack 58 only
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack-Fatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm working on the box profile for pre 58 reproducrion of the roof racks. During this project I decided to make box C profiles only for 58 westy roof racks. This very hard and longtime job. It is not quick and easy. I will try to use my box profiles to make C profiles legs.

Now you can see the short piece of profile made for quick test. I think I can do them Cool

The 58 only westy roof racks will be offer only for special order !!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Be well,
Jacek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

Jack-Fatboy wrote:
Hi All,

I'm working on the box profile for pre 58 reproducrion of the roof racks. During this project I decided to make box C profiles only for 58 westy roof racks. This very hard and longtime job. It is not quick and easy. I will try to use my box profiles to make C profiles legs.

Now you can see the short piece of profile made for quick test. I think I can do them Cool

The 58 only westy roof racks will be offer only for special order !!!

Be well,
Jacek

Awesome Jacek! I would like one set of 58 only legs and clamps please!

Eric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vtomike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

Legs and clamps also please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

The ‘58 racks are not the same sharp cornered material like the early ones. It’s not just a matter of opening up the bottoms.

It’s a heavier gauge steel and the edges on the corners are more rounded.

The legs also don’t follow the same exact contour as the early racks.
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

Greg,

Are the 58 racks similar to the 59-60 racks, but with the earlier mounting hardware?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

npbusguy wrote:
Greg,

Are the 58 racks similar to the 59-60 racks, but with the earlier mounting hardware?

The ‘58 racks are kind of transition between the two. I wish I had my old workshop back and more spare time, I was very close to these ‘58 racks two years ago.

Jacek is doing a nice job on the earlier ones.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

While there may be some smaller differences I applaud Jacek for stepping up and seeing this through for those of us who are just trying to complete our westys. I doubt I will ever find an original that someone is willing to part with and the days of being able to afford one if it did happen are long gone. Thanks Jacek!
Jack-Fatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

Thanks guys for investigation on the '58 racks. Well I would like to see the original '58 rack but it might be imposible here in Poland.

Is there anybody who can just take some pictures of original open legs?! I understand that they are little different from early ones. I need to have some mesaurments and thickness of the steel.

Let me know if you have some more important information to work on the '58 racks. I would be apprecieate for your help.

Thanks,
Jacek
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

Any update on these racks or the early ones Jacek?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

Sorry to hijack Jaceks thread. It made more sense to me than starting a new one. I started this '57-'58 roof rack project in private in 2016. Part of it was outlined on the KCW website in 2017 but they have since lost the data. If you follow me on instagram you have already seen and heard about this project.

After several years of working on it, I recently finished up my reproduction steel parts for the '57-'58 era Westfalia racks. The metal parts are all painted the correct shade of silver and are available for sale while supply lasts.

These parts are as accurate as I can make them, and I've used my original '57-'58 rear rack to compare against in person on every step of the fabrication process.

The steel parts are all laser cut and die stamped, so every one matches the next one. The feet are tig welded to the legs in a custom welding fixture to maintain the best possible alignment. The wood slats are milled from imported European beech, and the holes are drilled in perfect alignment on my milling machine. On the rack pictured below I applied four coats of a quality finish which matched my original.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message. I have an ad on thesamba with current prices now. This is a very small production run. I only made ten sets, and half of these are already spoken for. Even though I've invested a lot of time into custom made tooling, this is and I expect never will be a mass produced item. They are too labor intensive to make. There will be variable pricing depending on how complete you want the kit and to what level of finish (paint, varnish, etc).

Here is a photo of a rack "buseric" assembled using my metal parts, he finished his slats in a more natural finish which looks really nice on his bus:

Last edited by campingbox on Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

That rack is a piece of art Greg.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
That rack is a piece of art Greg.

Thanks Dan! I appreciate the kind words.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

Westfalia would bow in praise.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

I can say first hand the quality is excellent. Crowning jewel on an early westy.
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

Greg- your racks are dazzling. I was checking the front rack out at OCTO in June.

Off Topic- Speaking of Jacek- Has anyone spoken to him? He told me he got really sick back in October and it took a couple of months to feel normal. This was back in January. He hasn't signed on to TS since February and hasn't responded to DMs. I hope everything is okay with him.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
Greg- your racks are dazzling. I was checking the front rack out at OCTO in June.

Off Topic- Speaking of Jacek- Has anyone spoken to him? He told me he got really sick back in October and it took a couple of months to feel normal. This was back in January. He hasn't signed on to TS since February and hasn't responded to DMs. I hope everything is okay with him.

Thanks!

He posted an ad on Facebook for his beautiful ‘58 Westy cabinets knobs and communicated with me via Facebook messenger yesterday.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

Here are three more ‘58 westfalia racks assembled and on their permanent homes. All three buses are the same color (PG/SG)

1)

2)

3)

It’s very satisfying to see buses that have gone without a hat for years completed with a very correct example of what it would have left Westfalia with.

Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

Awesome work Greg. These owners must be stoked to get that missing piece on their Westy.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Awesome work Greg. These owners must be stoked to get that missing piece on their Westy.

Interesting enough two of the above buses have changed hands since completing them so the stoke was very short lived.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy repro roof rack 58 only Reply with quote

Very Nice Greg!

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
64 bug nice used front/rear Black RHD floor mat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: