Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any Appliance repair folk here?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Any Appliance repair folk here? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Did you figure out if the sensor goes high or low resistance when the water gets hot? You can bypass them with a resistor if you can figure out the Parameters. Obviously not a long term fix but useful to get the washer running on Thanksgiving Day

It helps the next guy when you document it too.

Damn dude, do you just not listen. It’s a bimetal cutoff switch. And no you don’t go replacing it with something that just works “the same”. You use the factory part.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Appliance repair folk here? Reply with quote

I can’t hear the sound of silence. I don’t recall it being described as a cutoff switch
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Appliance repair folk here? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I can’t hear the sound of silence. I don’t recall it being described as a cutoff switch

Then reread page 5. I described it right after you described the part I mentioned previously as being a dryer part. The whole time you where talking about a part that doesn’t even exist on this machine.
And for what it’s worth, if the “next guy” was a experienced appliance technician, they’d explain to you how unsafe it is to make/use parts that don’t apply to your machine. Or just be blunt and tell you how dumb it was to cut corners on a $20’part.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Appliance repair folk here? Reply with quote

Done with this. Words on the internet aren’t useful with documentation
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Appliance repair folk here? Reply with quote

No need to get worked up, it's just a shitty old dishwasher. Part is on the way.

I really do appreciate all the help here. This is exactly the reason I do my best to answer question about things I know, since I have asked plenty about those I don't.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Appliance repair folk here? Reply with quote

Update! Parts are late, so nothing to update. Maybe next week.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Appliance repair folk here? Reply with quote

Eh! My ice maker froze up at the water delivery pipe.

Thawed it out, installed the new water valve. Let's see how long it goes this time!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Appliance repair folk here? Reply with quote

I fixed a brain fart on the fridge today, I have a fan that walk on the shaft until it Hits the insulation about every 2-3 years.

Last time I fixed it I didn’t route the drain hose into the tray.

Lots of water on floor

Also declipped and radiator replacement on a new Beetle
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Appliance repair folk here? Reply with quote

Update! Machine is fixed and working as it should. Thanks for all the help on this. It was a simple, cheap repair, but you guys made it even more simple with the correct diagnosis.

But, the day before the part came, my 13 year old garbage disposal locked up tight. I removed it, and planned to take it apart, but I don't have and could not find (locally) the E-torx bit for the main body screws. I'll have to order one, cuz I still want to take that old thing apart for some reason.

I figured 13 years is a decent run, so I now have a brand new, nicer, and quieter disposal installed.

Glad to be done with all of that. Now, my wife wants to repaint half the downstairs living are walls.

OK then.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Appliance repair folk here? Reply with quote

I had a 3k estimate to paint the house, but I think Month of May will be perfect, since I didn't sell the scaffolding from the roof job last year, and have the sprayer and decent capacity compressor from another job.

Brown stain with a silvery lining.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Appliance repair folk here? Reply with quote

That's great you got the dishwasher fixed!

My ice maker froze up again!
GRRRRR!!!

It wasn't even a week this time. The feed pipe freezes up at the entrance into the ice maker.

This is a Fridgidaire French door unit with the freezer drawer on the bottom .
Ice and water dispenser out of the refrigerator door so there in a miniature freezer in the food compartment for making and storing ice.

The ice maker style is different than many/most.
The popular design seems to be a fixed ice tray with plastic fingers that rotate and push the half moon shaped cubes out of the tray.
The water fill pipe comes through the back wall.

Mine has a small ice cube tray (about the size of the Westfalia Dometic cube trays) that makes 8 small tapered square cubes.
The tray rotates and is flexed, just like a real full size plastic ice cube tray, and the cubes pop out.

Initially the cube tray will fill with water. The fill pipe is located on the ceiling of the ice maker and squirts a metered amount down into the tray.

On the bottom of the tray is a temperature probe.
As the water freezes the probe measures the water temperature and when it hits 13° it is time to dump the tray.

The temperature probe activates the ice maker motor which lowers a plastic arm.
This arm senses how much ice is in the bin by how far at lowers.

If the arm lowers the full amount it trips a microswitch.
The arm raises and then the ice cube tray rotates upside down. As it nears full rotation one end is wedged and stops while the other end continues rotating twisting the plastic tray.
The ice cubes fall out.
The tray rotates back up and the water valve lets in a metered quantity of water to freeze and repeat the process.

It the ice level sensor arm does not lower fully as it encounters a full ice tray, it goes back up and the ice maker goes into standby with a full frozen ice tray.

If you draw out ice or open the refrigerator door, the ice maker will again lower the arm to see if ice has been removed.

Anyway, the feed pipe in the top of the ice maker freezes solid for about an inch into the feed pipe.

I've done all the tests on why it will freeze,
Level refrigerator, even tried a little tipped back.
Doors close fully, self close.
Ice maker is cold enough
Water pressure is good
Water flow is good.

I put on a new water valve, it was suggested they get mineral build up and seep slightly causing drips into the ice maker which freeze on the fill pipe.

Nothing has stopped this pipe from freezing!
I've been dumping bagged ice in the bin for literally YEARS!

So, I just pulled the ice maker again and measured the location of nthe water feed pipe into the ice maker.

I marked this location on the top of the refrigerator.

I got my 3 1/2” hole saw and cut out the metal above the feed nozzle.

Using a screw driver I lifted out the expanding foam from the 3 1/2” circlular hole.

This revealed the plastic guide channel for the feed pipe.

I cut open the guide channel which exposed the ice maker feed pipe end where it protrudes through the plastic liner into the ice maker.
There is now about 4” of pipe exposed.

Using a hair dryer from the top I heated the feed pipe until the ice fell out.

Leaving the hole open on top, I reassembled the ice maker.

I figure the pipe being exposed to the ambient temperature in the kitchen will keep the feed pipe from freezing.

I did have concerns about a warm spot affecting the ice maker.

Happily it has been three days, the ice maker works fine.

The real test is if the ice maker remains flowing ice free for the next few months.

Fingers crossed.

If this is the answer, why did Fridgidaire bury the feed pipe in insulation closely placed and exposed to the frigid temperatures of the ice maker?

Hoping for the best!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Appliance repair folk here? Reply with quote

Is the evaporator freezing up ?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Appliance repair folk here? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Is the evaporator freezing up ?

No, it is ice free, the defroster works and drains.

The drain tube has frozen in the past but I made a heat transfer "finger" that extends the heat from the defrost coil into the ice maker drain pipe to prevent freezing.

Good thought though. Thanks!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: