Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Field find 1954 Canadian custom
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Something like that.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

So I went to Home Depot yesterday to buy a 2x4, Interesting experience! I stood in line about 6 feet behind the people in front and waited to get in. I got to the front of the line and was handed a shopping cart. I didn't need one as the 2x4s were about 10 feet away. A Very Cheerful fellow explained that the shopping carts were how they kept track of how many people were in the store. They had 50 carts and everytime someone came back to the checkout with a cart another person could enter the store. Huh, OK. I took my cart, walked 10 feet to the 2x4s collected one and cashed out leaving my cart for the next person.

The reason I needed the 2x4 was to build this little structure to go on top of my jack and under the engine bay to lift the back of the car onto the horse I had built for this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It worked a treat and I was able to easily lift the back of the body onto the horse. I did much the same thing for the front and the body was high enough to roll the chassis out.

I now have lots of room to finish this up. Easy peasy.

Don

Last edited by sunroof on Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

All that new metal sure does look pretty ! There can't be a whole lot more rusted metal on the floor when you hammer on the body now.

I am starting to notice that I don't have to sweep up under my chassis nearly as much as I used to , so that must mean progress.

Tom
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

You are hilarious! I had to sweep up a little under the drivers side today but only just a little bit, not nearly like before!

Don
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Dang Don...you're way more persistent than I am to wait through that mess at Home Depot. I woulda' left, drove around back and dug a pallet out of the dumpster to use!
Sheet metal work is looking great! Not sure what you're working situations are up in Canada, but keep plugging away if you are practicing Shelter in Place!

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Social distancing. The "ladies" down at the bar are going to have to apply for assistance!

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
They cannot all be perfect. But they must be sound. So long as you have strength, I would not worry about it. That spot is not a focal point, to the public. I am certain you will always zoom in on it! Well, at least that is what I would do.

I was scrolling through your pictures and noticed only half of the rear heater channel was welded. Is there something missing?

And here is one of my photos which shows the whole channel in contact with the rear cross member.

Thought I would add to this. I am cleaning up the garage, in an effort to find more room to store parts and found these parts for illuminating your missing part.

Here are the separate reinforcement pieces.

And here is a cross over, lower luggage shelf assembled. You can see the piece on the backside of the cross over. You can also see how the heater channel was welded the entire way.

And the back where that reinforcement piece is installed.

Hope that helps! Now back onto trying to shove these in some small tiny area, that I can find them in, in the future. Yeah, right! I don’t remember shit! Ask my wife!

Hope that helps!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

All this is for a later car. My '54 is very different in this area. Virtanen tells us that it was all changed in the fall of 1955.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Sorry Don! Too many damn parts in the garage!

Here’s the 54. It has a reinforcement piece on the back side, like this.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Ok ok, I get it. Here I am being a good little doobie (does anyone remember Romper Room?) and putting in the last little patch panel to finish up the back end of the heater channel. Cardboard mockup:

Steel part with holes for plug welds:

With the body suspended high in the air I now have access to start welding this bit in place. More evidence that if you stick to one maker, panels will fit together much better. All the Klassic fab parts go together like puzzle pieces. Sadly I made a little blunder and had the heat turned up too high when I started welding and blew a bunch of holes. I now have some grinding to do that should not have happened. Darn.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Several hours of welding and grinding later:

It will have to do.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Great job! You are on a roll!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Great work Don I am envious.
Just when I was getting a bit of momentum on my project, it is put on hold by the current health scare. I have stopped work on the Oval for now.
I will have to live vicariously through your posts so keep them coming.

Tom

Last edited by tomsbuggered on Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Tonight (Dog willing and the creeks don't rise) I will begin to tackle the base of the A pillar. I need to make a small cap to cover a gap there and weld all around the interface between the A pillar and the heater channel. Before I start that I will do one more test fit of the door. I want to make triple sure it fits!

Tonight:

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Looks good. Don’t forget the drain opening!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

So before I went any further tonight, I bolted the door back on to see if it still fits which it does, WHEW! I was so afraid something might have shifted somehow.

This is a piece I made months ago. Today I carved away at it a little and it turned out perfect.

I ran out of gas tonight but I will get some more tomorrow, I need this project to keep me sane. The welders supply store is also a medical gas supplier so I know they'll be open!

Anyways, this is next:

Don
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

I have a feeling this is gonna be one of those legendary builds Very Happy
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

I am flattered by that. We'll see. Right now my timeline is finish the passenger side this winter, do the drivers side next winter and the pan and mechanicals the following winter. This could take a while.

Once all the welding is done on the passenger side I will reassemble the door and call it done. Although the door bottoms could be replaced I'm a little intimidated by the welding involved. Large flat panels require more skill than I have to avoid warping. OTOH I really feel that the rarity and originalness of the car justify the best job that can be done. OTOOH if C19 doesn't abate soon I may be eating it for supper.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

So I was dreading this bit of welding for the last little while.

A bit of a gap to leap over but by the time I was finished I knew the best way to do it. So the last inch is the best.

If it doesn't say Dremel, it isn't. A great little tool, put a carbide burr on it and it makes smoothing welds a breeze.

I started on this today, did some little trimming and shaping and put it in place.

If you recall:

There's this little square of material that needs to be welded in. How did this happen? I forget.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Looks like you are still moving forward! Great job!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 34

Jump to: