Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice on Clutch Cable
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlaskaWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Advice on Clutch Cable Reply with quote

I am ordering what I need to replace my clutch cable today. Probably the cable, clip, a rubber seal and I will go ahead and do the sleeve too.

Can someone tell me, is there suppost to be a rubber seal in the front where the clutch cable first goes into the metal cable tube(is that the Bowden tube)? If so will the one listed as a seal for between the sleeve and cable work there too?

I want to make sure I do it right. Anytips for rethreading the cable? I left the old one in currently, I just have it disconnected thinking I may need to use it to get the new one in.

Thanks, Paul
brackish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about that rubber boot, but don't worry about getting the new cable through the tube - it's stiff enough that it can be pushed easily through the tube. Use the molybdenum grease that the Bentley recommends. It really improves the cable action.
NuggJugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Choco,

I just redid my clutch cable about 2 - 3 weeks ago. Mine snapped on me.

You shouldn't have any problems feeding it through the underside of the bus. Its a pretty stiff cable and goes in with relative ease. If you want to be extra safe like I was the first time I did it tie some good rope to one end, then pull out the cable, then you can attach the rope to the new cable and pull it through that way.

Just make sure that you have that plastic sleeve that is on the cable itself seated properly up near the front of the bus were it goes through that beam. and there should be a little runner that holds the plastic sleeve too the underbody. My clutch pedal wouldn't spring back up like it was supposed too and it took me awhile to figure it out, it was cause the bare cable was brushing against the underbody at that point and not springing back up properly.

Hope this helps a bit.

Oh one more thing, that rubber tube thats attached to the side of the tranny, unbolt that and it will be alot easier for you to get the old cable out and the new one in. Just make sure you have the same bend in it when you bolt it back on........

1971 Westfalia 1600 DP
1972 Campmobile 2.0 Liter
1975 Beetle
1990 Jetta GL 5 speed manual 190,000 miles and still smokes!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is supposed to be a rubber boot at the front of the metal tube that you describe. You need to put on after you feed the greased cable through the frame but before you curse. Wink

For some reason some boots are harder than others. I got a hard one and I couldn't fit it on so I skipped that step. Later, someone gave me the advice to stretch it by warming it up (pot of hot water, etc).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: