Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randayn
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

Lets get real and personal. How are the current events affecting You, Your Family Your Business and Your health?
I will start by saying this is a scary time. I worry about my children and grandchildren. I am older and at more risk. I had to close my business. I have been exposed to this virus. Most of us have.
It will not be over next week. I am curious to hear some common sense as to how you will handle the next few months. I don't think we will starve or have an eclipse of our infrastructure, but it will be a mindfuck.
Lets keep politics out of it We are on our own. What will YOU do to survive?

Moderator Notes:
Let's try to keep this thread generally to what was asked above:
Personal effects on Samba members or local issues

Due to repeated rule-breaking, anything political here or any sort of racist/bigoted/xenophobic posts will result in a ban from the site.

We want to stay on the topic of COVID-19 ONLY so please do not derail the topic with other arguments about gun rights, pro-life stuff, political comments or anything else that is a "hot" topic that generates pages of arguing that goes nowhere.
You're right, everyone else is wrong.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

financially, we're ok. grew up poor and don't want to go back (not afraid though)

food? I can shoot and dress whatever walks thru my back yard. 2020 was starting out to be a killer year, and because i'm "essential" (auto repair) I can stay open as long as I can get parts. thankfully, I am booked out for quite a while, and offering a "pick up" service for those who don't want to travel

cabin filter sales haven't been easier Laughing

health? I could be better about it, but not scared. when my #'s up, it's up.

mentally...I can still wander around as needed, and we still have friends/family over for dinner and such.

plenty of food, plenty of ways to harvest it if need be. enough diesel on hand to run a generator for a year non stop (no idea how long if it only runs a few hours a day)

biggest hang up is school. my kid is very "routine" if you will. not going to school is messing that up, but if that's the worse of it, i'll take it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

I manage the front end of a grocery store, so nothing has really changed for me, except for an awareness that I'm at an increased risk for becoming infected; My employees deal with thousands of customers every day and I deal with them.

Most of our customers have been more than understanding, but there's always a few clowns who think it's our fault we don't have items in stock (like maybe, I've been the one buying all the toilet paper? Confused ) or getting mad when we won't let them buy $80 of ramen or every loaf of bread on the shelf. Laughing

My parents are retired and live out in the boonies, so I expect they'll be safer than most. Myself, I don't know what'll happen if I get sick. I got a bajillion hours of vacation to burn through if I do. But if I get really sick? I don't know.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

six feet from folks, and avoidance of grocery shopping. not seeing friends is bummer.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

I am at peace with myself and I am not scared to die. I'm not ready to but I'm not scared of death. I'm retired so staying home is no big deal, I am financially stable and have lived the last 30 years of my life with the recommended 3 full months of living expenses in my bank savings. My 401(K)'s took a small hit but I have most of my investments in safe bonds. I have 2 month supply of food in my pantry if the electricity doesn't go off and eliminate the freezer. I do keep a loaded gun in my house, you just never know what's out there. As I've said in other threads 100 people die every day in car crashes so why is this any different.

I sure miss drag racing.

I'm predicting we will be out of most of the danger in another 3-4 weeks. Life will be back to normal and nobody will care about this by mid summer. The stock markets will fully recover by Thanksgiving.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

My kids are grown and self sufficient so if I get the big recall, I can’t argue that the Creator hasn’t given me a great ride. I can lose 98% of my investments and still retire on other stuff, I work now because my job of creating jobs is paying back for the luck I’ve had.

Quote:
I'm predicting we will be out of most of the danger in another 3-4 weeks.

We won’t have peaked yet in 3-4 weeks
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

I am fine, another high risk guy though due to age and a lung condition. Still working every day and I question why. Not only are we still trying to get $9 a barrel oil out of the ground just so companies can go broke trying to sell it but I have had enough of the working world.

For 45+ years I have been the donkey trying to catch the carrot and all I ever get is a sniff here and there. Too many hands out for my paychecks. High time to let the dumb young ones do the insanity dance and spend my remaining days enjoying life however simple that may be on a budget.

We live in a pretty remote part of the country so I may eventually get the bug too but whatever the outcome I can accept it. The only real effect this thing is having on us at the moment is we are not travelling to see our kids and grandkids right now. I do miss that! We are avoiding the concrete jungles.

Watching all the hysteria at the moment is both hilarious and frustrating at the same time!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

getting ready to walk out the door because liquor stores are essential here in New Jersey and i have to go sell to them. Store sales are way up but since bars and restaurants with alcohol were forced to close or sell take out(many chose not to and i understand why)i'm not sure that all of them will come out of this. My 401k tanked for the most part but i am positive that it will work itself up again eventually. Hoping this thing blows over soon. Too many deaths happening and don't want more people to suffer healthwise and financially any more than they have. Just dying to finally get to a damn Volkswagen show now that i have 2 that are running right!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Business as usual for me. My guys (2) have the option of working or not. Since infections are still pretty low here and we tend to work in our own spaces, I am not real concerned at this time.

But being near a larger college town, life has gotten a little different. There are lots of small towns in this part of the world and I like what I see around here. Folks are not freaking out in the rural areas. Folks are still kind, considerate and gracious. Not as much stupid hoarding except when folks from the college town realize that our local small stores still have stuff since most of us are not idiots...LOL.

It's just funny how the mind set is different. Us "locals" have dealt with bad storms where things get shut down for days and you don't see much panic buying since most of us have freezers with essentials and always have a stock of canned and dry goods. I could guarantee that at least half or more of the "locals" could eat pretty well for several weeks with just what they always have maintained in their homes.

And just noticed the comment on 401Ks....Whadya gonna do? I have lost over 30%, but it could have been worse if my financial guy hadn't kept a fair amount in cash. So I am happy(?) about that. It'll come back...eventually...I hope...LOL

Stay well - be safe and life will go on....The only sad thing is that 6 months after this is over, most folks will forget important lessons that they had to learn....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

I've been calling for a reset on 2020 since the end of January. Just stupid stuff happening, now this. So far we're ok here. Both wife and I work from home which is fine since PA just instituted their statewide 'essential for life' only business ban. I'm in that weird category being a sign guy with primary clients of police, fire and EMS - those vehicles still need to be serviced and that includes lettering. I've got 4 in the next week that need done, so I'll be in somewhat close contact with the upfitter crew. Just have to be aware and try to stay as far away from everyone as practical.

Food wise, we are literally within walking distance of 2 supermarkets. We're not concerned about running out of supplies unless the zombie apocalypse actually happens. We've got about 2 weeks worth of 'essentials'. And we have enough wildlife wandering through the backyard. I think my new neighbor knows how to dress deer Smile

Our family is pretty much scattered across the US. Mother lives a town over.. she was out yesterday for a while just to get out of the house. We sat outside and chatted Smile Everyone else is by Skype. I'm more concerned about my wife's health as she's a cancer survivor and I'm afraid I might drag something back that I'm not showing. That is my one concern. It's a gamble.. I need to work - the bills don't stop coming in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wiscokid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

No worries here, we are doing the social distancing dance, and I'm lucky enough to where I can still work even if it gets real bad. And to second what skills said, I can harvest whatever is needed if things get real bad. We have chickens, ducks, turkies,and a goat in the yard and enough woods and water for whatever else comes up. We just finished syruping and seeds have been started and we're just gonna do what we always do which is continue to be as self sufficient as we can, only difference this year is we are going to open up more ground for crops we usually don't tend to grow like corn and squash. I hope to hell everyone comes through this just fine and I hope communities grow as a result.
Just my two cents.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Yeah - didn't think about harvesting wild life. Would be a ways off for that LOL. But have an old 16 gauge single shot and a couple 22's. Some geese and ducks are in the pond, always have deer in the yard and I prefer squirrel taken with a 22. Hate cleaning out all the BBs from shot gun shells.

Laughing my ass off, but.....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

I closed my business, as of Sunday the 15th, We are at a high risk of both the virus and vandalism, because we are located in Downtown Los Angeles. My Chinese friends gave me a heads up as to what is to come. I gave up sharing the info as many people thought of me as crazy.

I think we will be fine. I worry about everyone, as people are not obeying the "Stay at Home " ordinance. They will be the ones sharing the "Wealth" no matter how many precautions we take or how self-sufficient we are.

I don't go outside, I am a happy camper at home with my wife. I am enjoying every single morning. I drink my coffee, play with my dogs, garden and cleanup my house. That keeps my mind off things. My father always preached "If your problem has a solution, why worry? if your problem doesn't have a solution, Why worry?

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Financially fine...although I refuse to look at my 401ks. Everyone still working. Wife is a NICU RN and is still working her normal shifts. 25 year old son is in private banking and he is currently working in our home which is a VERY nice side effect of this whole mess (although he does eat a LOT). I am secure in my litigation job but working from home full time in my dining room with my French bulldog snoring by my side.

Food wise is fine. Grocery stores are still stocked here. Having no problem with food except our freezer is too small for all the crap my wife seems to be buying.

Socially not doing much although I might get back out to the garage for a bit and start working on a project.

Only concerns is my 82 year old mother....she was still volunteering at a place for unwed new mothers and going to church daily until they shut those down. She is very comfortable staying home and we are checking in on her regularly.

Sister is a flight attendant who just came off a 10 day shift. She is self quarantining for 7 days although she feels fine....she just realizes how much risk she is at.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
I closed my business, as of Sunday the 15th, We are at a high risk of both the virus and vandalism, because we are located in Downtown Los Angeles. My Chinese friends gave me a heads up as to what is to come. I gave up sharing the info as many people thought of me as crazy.

I think we will be fine. I worry about everyone, as people are not obeying the "Stay at Home " ordinance. They will be the ones sharing the "Wealth" no matter how many precautions we take or how self-sufficient we are.

I don't go outside, I am a happy camper at home with my wife. I am enjoying every single morning. I drink my coffee, play with my dogs, garden and cleanup my house. That keeps my mind off things. My father always preached "If your problem has a solution, why worry? if your problem doesn't have a solution, Why worry?

A korean friend of mine shared the scary facts of what was happening in Korea over a month ago. he was stuck there for a while, and is done with his two-week quarantine he did upon return here. He is no dummy, he is a phd professor working in the high tech dna bioresearch sector. The take on it is...... We all need to take this seriously. our lives depend on it,,our econony dpends on it. We all need to do everything possible to stop this virus quickly, else the damage will be greatly worsened. Quarantine is the only tool we have right now to stop this, and it can be effective if we all stick to it. This requires huge sacrifice economically. But if we fail to slow this down now, it will only be harder to stop tomorrow. We can make a huge difference in the outcome, and reduce how long it takes to get to that outcome. It will be catastrophic if virus goes on unchecked by us.. Failure to quarantine will cause us to fail.

hopefully a month or two of intense lockdown will be enough to knock it down enough so we can get some reasonable recovery of our lives,wth minimal loss of life.

anyway on a lighter note,, If your food supplies are like mine, a bit unbalanced, an inventory and planning meals can help.

Say you have two months of food, at 2000 cal per day per adult. but you have ten lbs of sugar, in addition to the canned fruits, beans, soups, frozen meat, rice, pasta and such. To not be stuck with nothing but sugar at the end, about a little more than a pound if sugar need be consumed per week over two months of total food supply. so a few ounces of sugar per day will need be added to the rations

you can plan to add a sugar to each canned fruit serving, maybe add to your tea, and an extra spoon worth or two on your cereal, or toast. figure ad a couple 100 calories of the sugar to each days ration in replacement for other calories. This will stretch the food supply with hout being stuck with ten pounds of sugar left when all the other food is gone.

ten pounds of sugar is near 13620 calories, enough calories for near a week for one adult. But I sure wouldn't want to be left with only sugar for my last week of food if I can avoid it by proper planning of consumption.

So now a daily dose in sugar is going to be in my meal plan.

What do you all have in excessive amounts for the expected duration of your supplies lasting?. Some one may have a month's of food with ten gallons of maple syrup, for instance, or maybe some other unbalanced food supply. What's your situations?

stay safe, observe quarantine, stop the spread.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

We're dealing with a disease, not a hurricane. There's no shortage of food or problems with distribution. The only reason stores are out of anything is the people who come in and buy $450 of groceries, as they have been doing for the past week and a half. If people were buying their usual amount, nothing would be out of stock. My store has broken every past sales record we've set, even in post/pre-hurricane situations. Daily and weekly sales records. That's why things are out of stock. We get the same deliveries every day that we've always had. We've set limits on quantities for certain products, shortened our open hours, and we still sell out, and have had record sales. We're not running out of things because the supply has been disrupted, we're out because people are purchasing way more than they usually do.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Financially fine...although I refuse to look at my 401ks. Everyone still working. Wife is a NICU RN and is still working her normal shifts. 25 year old son is in private banking and he is currently working in our home which is a VERY nice side effect of this whole mess (although he does eat a LOT). I am secure in my litigation job but working from home full time in my dining room with my French bulldog snoring by my side.

Food wise is fine. Grocery stores are still stocked here. Having no problem with food except our freezer is too small for all the crap my wife seems to be buying.

Socially not doing much although I might get back out to the garage for a bit and start working on a project.

Only concerns is my 82 year old mother....she was still volunteering at a place for unwed new mothers and going to church daily until they shut those down. She is very comfortable staying home and we are checking in on her regularly.

Sister is a flight attendant who just came off a 10 day shift. She is self quarantining for 7 days although she feels fine....she just realizes how much risk she is at.

When someones idea of "socializing" is being in the garage working on a project, you know you that someone is a gearhead.

Take car! I mean care!

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

1.How do you convince people not to Panic Buy?

2.How Do you assure them there is plenty of food?

3.How are they suppose to stay indoors for a whole month if they don't have 1 moth supplies?

4.How do you stop the spread of the disease if people continue to go out buying "just the essentials" when EVERYONE is out just buying "the essentials"?

5.How do you assure them there is plenty of food?

6.How do you convince people not to Panic Buy?

Please!!! Stay Home!!!!!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
We're dealing with a disease, not a hurricane. There's no shortage of food or problems with distribution. The only reason stores are out of anything is the people who come in and buy $450 of groceries, as they have been doing for the past week and a half. If people were buying their usual amount, nothing would be out of stock. My store has broken every past sales record we've set, even in post/pre-hurricane situations. Daily and weekly sales records. That's why things are out of stock. We get the same deliveries every day that we've always had. We've set limits on quantities for certain products, shortened our open hours, and we still sell out, and have had record sales. We're not running out of things because the supply has been disrupted, we're out because people are purchasing way more than they usually do.

True. My wife usually buys about $45 in groceries every Saturday. This week she spent $57. Evil or Very Mad
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

While I do not dispute that there is some hoarding going on I think its also important to understand that many families have their kids at home now and are feeding families at lunch time.

That being said my local grocery store had less of things but still everything just about
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 46

Jump to: