Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AM Radio Experts?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with old AM radios? I have a 61 with the original Sapphire 1 by Bendix. All I get is static. I put a new antenna on it, but only static. Not even a very weak signal. I'm guessing it is a lost cause, but thought I'd ask for assistance if there is any.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

I believe there is an antenna trimmer adjustment screw on the back of the radio. Not really sure how it works, but hopefully others will chime in.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

I looked for one earlier today. No screw on the back of the radio.

rcroane wrote:
I believe there is an antenna trimmer adjustment screw on the back of the radio. Not really sure how it works, but hopefully others will chime in.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

I read somewhere that it might be covered up by a piece of tape?
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

The antenna trim could be a small hex nut that extends off the back of the unit. The screw trim could be on the back or the side.

If you get static but no reception, turn the volume knob all the way up and scroll the dial until you hear something different from the ambient static (assuming the antenna is installed and fully extended.) Rotate the trim screw/nut and adjust the tuning knob to "zero in" on a station.

If you are not having success, PM me and I will give you the contact info of a guy that has serviced my '60s radio units.

-Kent

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

On some later radios the antenna trimmer is hiding behind one of the front knobs. But on a Sapphire I it is next to the antenna socket. See note 13:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Similar wording on #8 here:

This one shows the trimmer location:

Check that the antenna is grounded well and that the plug/wire isn't broken internally. Also, some wiring has shorter or longer plugs, so check yours is compatible with the depth of the socket.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

I have noticed on mine that if the antenna is collapsed down to its lowest height, I will not pull in any AM stations.

It's gotta have at least the 2nd segment pulled all the way out, and it pulls them in even better at full length even though the antenna is quite long at that point.

Also do ensure that you have AM stations broadcasting in your area Very Happy
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

Did it work at all before you installed the new antenna? If so, make sure that the new antenna is not accidentally grounded to the car body. To check this, pull the antenna cable out of the radio. Use a multimeter to check for continuity between the center conductor of the antenna cable, and the car body. There should be no conductivity = open circuit. In operation, the braided sheathing outer layer of the antenna cable IS supposed to be grounded, and therefore it too cannot be allowed to contact the center conductor.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. I will check for continuity of the antenna. I also swear I did not find that adjustment screw, but I will look again. I don't know if the radio worked previously. It was in the car when I bought it, but the antenna was broken when I bought it.

I will check these later and respond. I might take a pic of the back of the radio if I don't find the adjustment screw.

Zwitterkafer wrote:
Did it work at all before you installed the new antenna? If so, make sure that the new antenna is not accidentally grounded to the car body. To check this, pull the antenna cable out of the radio. Use a multimeter to check for continuity between the center conductor of the antenna cable, and the car body. There should be no conductivity = open circuit. In operation, the braided sheathing outer layer of the antenna cable IS supposed to be grounded, and therefore it too cannot be allowed to contact the center conductor.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

One thing I noticed is that I don't have the condenser on the generator or near the radio. But I'm also trying to get a signal without the car running so right now not sure if a condenser is needed. I know it is for use when the car is running, so if I do get the radio to work I will then have to determine if a condenser is needed.

KTPhil wrote:
On some later radios the antenna trimmer is hiding behind one of the front knobs. But on a Sapphire I it is next to the antenna socket. See note 13:

Check that the antenna is grounded well and that the plug/wire isn't broken internally. Also, some wiring has shorter or longer plugs, so check yours is compatible with the depth of the socket.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

Yep, there was a piece of tape there and I did find the screw. Although, it did not resolve the problem. I turned it one way and the other, but not signal was received. I also double checked the continuity on the antenna and there is not problems with the antenna.

So I guess the radio needs to be restored. Any recommendations for this work?

txasylum wrote:
One thing I noticed is that I don't have the condenser on the generator or near the radio. But I'm also trying to get a signal without the car running so right now not sure if a condenser is needed. I know it is for use when the car is running, so if I do get the radio to work I will then have to determine if a condenser is needed.

KTPhil wrote:

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

The antenna trimmer is used to tune the antenna to the radio. Back in the day if you have a radio station around 1400 Kilo Cycles you would set the radio to that station and turn the trimmer for the loudest audio.
Hope this helps.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
So I guess the radio needs to be restored. Any recommendations for this work?

Here's some places that you can try:

http://vwradios.com/Home.html

http://www.radiomanrepair.com/

http://www.classicradio.com/

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=50580

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=175954
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

You might try contacting this fellow who is on youtube, and really seems to know his stuff when it comes to old AM sets:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrCarlsonsLab

I've never tried asking him a question, but he does a lot of restorations and might be able to pretty quickly point you in the direction of a solution or at least offer some things to try.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

On a side note, I'm curious about step nine: "Install wheel static collectors on front wheels." Can't say offhand that I've heard of wheel static collectors. Think
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

There was a link, I think to a document here on the Samba, for those. I've never seen them in person, either.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

Interesting.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416582
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

That's it!

Explanation from Chevy forums:

Quote:
Yes, they were OEM, but most mechanics took them off the first time they did a bearing job on the front hubs. The purpose of them was to offer a low resistance path to ground for static that is generated by the rubber tires to dissipate to ground. The static charge would eventually dissipate without them once the voltage was high enough jump through the grease in the bearings, but the static collectors were supposed to keep it bled down. The only purpose was to make the AM radio reception better. The same reason all the ground straps, ignition shielding and condensers were installed all over the car. They were trying to stop the "pops and crackles" that are so annoying on AM radios.

Quote:
Those static collectors in the front hubs were normally made of brass so they would be unlikely to damage a wheel bearing even if broken, but they never seemed to do all that much in my experience.

I recall from when I was a kid that the radios in my grand father's '41 Pontiac and my mother's '41 Chrysler Windsor convertible seemed to work fine both with and without them. This was in the NYC area though, and in areas where radio signals were weaker the situation might have been different.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: AM Radio Experts? Reply with quote

I spent many hours of my youth DX'ing= tuning in distant radio stations on AM and short wave. It was a great hobby. I eventually was able to log 41 states and seven Canadian provinces+Mexico and Belize on AM from my location in Michigan.

Static is always present on AM even under the best of circumstances. The idea of the static arrestor and resistors was to eliminate the additional noise caused by the cars components only. I learned to love that static and the weak or distant stations lurking beneath.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: