Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

there is fascinating info on ventilators here...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventilator

We gearheads ought to come up with a way of making old school ventilators, the wiki article speaks of ventilators in the 1950s built with bicycle chain sprockets and car wiper arm motors to operate the bellows.

I wonder what we can Idea come up with? Maybe not real good, but still able to save a life.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

I don't understand how people are content thinking they are safe without owning a firearm. Especially in times like this.

How do you honestly plan on standing up or protecting yourself from others with firearms?

Most of us are peace loving Vw nuts but being nice isn't going to protect anything if things get worse.

You are not prepared if you don't own a firearm.

The virus is the least of my worry IMO. It's the people I'm worried about.

And don't think your nice, quiet, cozy neighborhood is safe... Where do you think they are going first! :2gunfire:

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

I’ve had a fair share of posts deleted here over the years. One thing that helped me sort this out ? I’d hit the preview button instead of post and read it several times. Even then it’s been deleted despite some consideration.

Sometimes I’ll write something post it and delete within minutes because it adds nothing or upon reflection it sounds mean or shitty. It’s easy to argue or post shit. So some days I just read but do not post. Lately been working on car instead of hanging out here, now that’s a positive.

During this time of corona virus overload I’m just gonna try to be nice and positive. Thanks all.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Miklo wrote:
I don't understand how people are content thinking they are safe without owning a firearm. Especially in times like this.

How do you honestly plan on standing up or protecting yourself from others with firearms?

How about not getting into a gun fight in the first place.

There's a huge difference in protecting your personal safety and property. If it's you or me.. i have no problem. But I can always replace property.

Sorry but i can't see killing someone because they want my toilet paper.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Miklo wrote:

Most of us are peace loving Vw nuts but being nice isn't going to protect anything if things get worse.

You are not prepared if you don't own a firearm.

The virus is the least of my worry IMO. It's the people I'm worried about.

And don't think your nice, quiet, cozy neighborhood is safe... Where do you think they are going first! :2gunfire:

bro lots and lots of places are absolutely safe and people still leave their keys in their cars 24/7 and their front doors unlocked at night. I know that sounds crazy in So Cal but go venture out and see places man. I freaked when I saw keys in every ignition in a little place in Iowa and they really did say, "but what if someone needs to move your car?" "what if someone needs to get to the hospital and needs your car?" now of course they had guns but for hunting... but they are so safe you have zero fear of anything but taxes or something hurting your crops / livestock
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Miklo wrote:

There's a huge difference in protecting your personal safety and property. If it's you or me.. i have no problem. But I can always replace property.

Sorry but i can't see killing someone because they want my toilet paper.

You can defend toilet paper from theft with a gun, without resorting to killing someone. Sometimes, many times, simply brandishing a firearm will deter lawlessness.

Now of course Id be very hesitant to pull a gun on someone stealing a toilet paper say from my shopping cart in a grocery store parking lot.
However...... I am very likely to want a firearm if said toilet paper thief is caught in my master bathroom at 3 a.m. having broken into my home. I intend to allow them to surrender or run away rather than shot them, the gun allows me to give them that option with little risk on my part. If they turn to attack, I am dropping them, and I wont be happy about having to be doing it.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I have been shot at on two separate occasions, & been in several other situations where I was disadvantaged by being the one not armed. None of these were situations where I instigated anything. For me, a firearm is not a security blanket, a means of control, compensation, or a fashion accessory.

These same type of people would not hesitate to kill you to take what’s yours if rule of law erodes.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Glenn wrote:

I have been shot at on two separate occasions, & been in several other situations where I was disadvantaged by being the one not armed. None of these were situations where I instigated anything. For me, a firearm is not a security blanket, a means of control, compensation, or a fashion accessory.

I have been shelled, not be able to shoot back, ducked for cover. The F4's zoomed down and and took care of the problem for us.

I wish I have an F4, but I don't have a place for one, unless, maybe mounted on a pole, and use the F4 as a carport. dream on. I wonder if I can get a jet fighter zoned as a carport for my driveway?

This virus thing gives me too much free time to plot things.

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

The only thing that I see about this Social Distancing is the progression of snobby people. I hate when at any public or private location, there is always an Ahole, who places his or her bags so no one sits next to him or her. This is just going to aggravate the situation. Now they are going to be snobby and jerks!

I never had heard the term "Comfort Zone" or "Personal Bubble" until my daughter's Elementary Promotion, where a young girl stated she had to leave her comfort zone and personal bubble to meet other kids. Try that crap, when you are a family of six, living in a one bedroom apartment? What comfort zone or personal space???

On the other hand, These same Aholes, are the ones that Don't want to be touched, and yet, they Ride share, rent AirBnB's and pick up random scooters to rent off the street? Men look the other way, and women cross their legs while standing and pretend to be on the phone (still don't know why women stand in that awkward position?)

My 2020 Reset will be, to be more respectful of people, to offer help whenever I can, and try to be a decent person.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Speaking of which, have any of you other "gun nuts" been contacted by formerly anti-gun friends that were looking for a firearm because they "Suddenly felt vulnerable"? I have had three so far.

i had 2 friends that were absolutely incensed when they found out there was a 10 day wait (may be longer due to, ahem, a bit of an overload on the system) it was kind of comical, actually. "but we're good people!!!" (they are in all honesty)

i said welp, welcome to my world. in their defense, they never asked to borrow a firearm...and i'd never lend one out anyway.

Glenn wrote:

How about not getting into a gun fight in the first place..

yea, we all want that. but the reality is some very official looking scumbags have turned up to give free virus tests going door to door. these folks at home all the time are the ones that may feel better with protection.

police can't be everywhere

it's one thing to have your home broken into while you're at work...now that everyone is home...do you really think burglars are going to 'social distance'? they will happily do a home invasion. glad my wife and daughter are home, just in case i need help with the clean up. for the record, i'd have zero problem letting the air out of someone if any of my family was in danger

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

So how do you guy sleep at night.. with a gun under your pillow?

Peace Out.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

My business is very very busy. The AZ gov hasnt shut things down yet so i continue to send crews to work in peoples yards. I continue to get calls for estimates. People want their projects done ASAP in case they're locked down.

Im for peace but I do have a 9mm and have recently bought some ammo just in case. Ive had extra food on hand for years. I buy a little food every day so we dont run out and so that Im not causing someone else to go without. Wife is pissed about all the food but she isnt one to plan ahead and is still underestimating the possibilities.

The only thing wandering my neighborhood is javelina. They're big and there are a dozen or so. So i Wonder how that tastes.

Ive got projects are parts to keep me busy till August.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Healthy here and so are all my relatives... for now.
I rarely work anymore due to health issues (lung issues and Crohns Disease)so in the last few years have always purchased more food than needed. Same goes for normal household supplies. So as far as the hoarding effect on my life it’s been negligible. Have been practicing sterilization of door handles and other surfaces for quite a while now and wash my hands every time I leave a store. This may sound like paranoia but I can live with that label for now. Pun intended.
Hope all my fellow VW fanatics stay healthy and happy in these trying times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randayn
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

If you own a gun, know how to use it. Keep it loaded, cocked and locked.

That AK in your gun safe is useless. I have a ready at all times. That is just common sense.

It is not a matter of self defense as much as it is to defend my loved ones.

I ask what are you going to do if someone attacks your Wife? Stand by helpless? Call 911? I know I am safe, my Wife carries too.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

This old jarhead isn’t going to get into the second amendment argument. Carry if you want, don’t if you don’t.
One thing that I think is more important and I’ve practiced for years is to have a solid relationship with your immediate neighbors. I’ve helped mine out with tools, supplies and manpower for a couple of decades. Same house. Mainly live with my gal in another county and know all of them too and have always told them to ask anytime they need something. Went to all of them this week with packages of masks that I use for my work and gave them all a package. They were grateful as none are available.
Now I know that a mask isn’t going to make much of a difference in not contracting the virus but many feel it’s reassuring. The point wasn’t to prevent anything but to foster a stronger bond between us. Neighbors paying attention are the best security imho.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:

The only thing wandering my neighborhood is javelina. They're big and there are a dozen or so. So i Wonder how that tastes.

It can't taste any worse than deer.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

I would it would be MORE wise... to aim for..... shooting eachother less, to ease the load on hospitals.
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

I just wish we had more federal land around here to go camping this weekend! First super nice weekend of the year I’ve been home, and all of the state/ city park camping is shut down.
randayn
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Man I just want to get back to work. Maybe I will go to the shop tomorrow and just hang out and talk to my customers from 6 feet away. I can cut their hair later.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
AZ Landshaper wrote:

It can't taste any worse than deer.

Oh it sure can, and will if you don’t know how to skin it properly and cook it properly.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 46

Jump to: