Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

That's the location for the middle clutch tube hold bracket. Safe bet the bracket broke (common issue) so a PO cut open the tunnel to fix it. When the clutch tube comes free at the middle or rear of the tunnel it impairs proper clutch operation due to the tube flexing out of position when you depress the pedal.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I knew that "something" had to be gotten to I like the way that your picture shows the access hole, this hole is just jagged and ugly.. I mean its not that noticeable with the seat in.. but its kicking my OCD's arse! lol

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Went out to the bug shop on a test run (new pedal assembly in and brake rod adjustment) Car runs STRONG.. the new accelerator cable / pedal makes a world of difference. Before you would have to coax the throttle to get any response.. now with the new throttle assembly, it just runs and powers as smooth as glass! I bought some new tar boards and laid them in the floor to heat up and get flexible enough to glue down. I ordered a rubber mat set (stock stuff) and look forward to getting them in.

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Pulled the fuel tank today. I was going to start cleaning and sanding it down for paint but now I may just replace it with a new one. I also started eye balling the master cylinder and want to replace it with a dual circuit model while I'm under there. Yes, that is a big wasp nest on the tank

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Why replace the tank? If there are no holes, then what could be wrong w/ it? Well, if you do, i would look out for a nice OG tank... and as for the master cylinder, some may say, “if it ain’t broke, dont fix it”. Keep up the good progress though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

I pulled the fuel tank to clean it and ended up going to the bug shop to see what they had... they had a good clean used tank for $20.. so I got it, blew out the rat's nest and soaked it in vinegar and baking soda.. went to install it yesterday, it's too big/deep.. so back it goes tomorrow. I also got the new floor mats in, but its been so cold that they aren't going to lay flat until it gets warmer outside.

And the new floormats

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
WADVR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Fozzy wrote:

I am contemplating cutting this repair out, straightening it, and welding it back to the tunnel. I have looked inside the area and have no idea why this was done.

That's the location for the middle clutch tube hold bracket. Safe bet the bracket broke (common issue) so a PO cut open the tunnel to fix it. When the clutch tube comes free at the middle or rear of the tunnel it impairs proper clutch operation due to the tube flexing out of position when you depress the pedal.

That looks familiar! Must be the same hack that cut mine open to “fix” the same issue unsuccessfully. I encourage you to check the whole tube for attachment and damage.
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Had to buy a new tank, the old used VW tank I got from the bug shop was too "deep" and hit the steering system.. 60-67 new tank dropped right in. Other than having to take everything back out and put the fuel screen in that I forgot, the job was easy peasey.. Fired right up without having to prime or crank forever.

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Fozzy wrote:

DAMN!!! Lookin nice Very Happy
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Thanks.. I need the weather to clear and ground to dry out!

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Fozzy wrote:
Thanks.. I need the weather to clear and ground to dry out!

Everyone does right now
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Put in a new ABS glove box and hinge spring.. had to grind some material off the corners so the hinges would clear.

Repairing and replacing some crappy connectors

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

U gonna clean them wires up a bit Smile sorry, just really messes with my no existent OCD.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
U gonna clean them wires up a bit Smile sorry, just really messes with my no existent OCD.
OCD is how I ended up in this mess! lol Very Happy

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Well, all of the loose ends and bare connections are repaired or replaced, Radio installed and new support strap fabricated.. but, my signals now don't work. back to the drawing board tomorrow..

Also here is a picture of the pedal assembly with the rubber covers on it..

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Latest project was welding in some new bumper bracket pockets. I cut the areas out where the threaded inserts were.. three of the four were gone/ripped out. So I started on the drivers side which needed both inserts. Fought with the welder.. I could have been prettier... the passenger side went a lot better. Got the bumpers installed today, they are old and beat up but its really the first time I could mount them correctly. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the results. I need some longer bolts to get the fronts in.

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: