Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this 6v flywheel a goner?+6v vs 12v
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Is this 6v flywheel a goner?+6v vs 12v Reply with quote

Here are some photos of the MOFOCO 6 Volt Flywheel I have. I don't think it's supposed to use a Oring as the the Oring groove if that is what it is is right at the edge. Looks different than the Oring flywheel "hazetguy" pictured above (I see it's setup with roll pins for pinning the clutch, Nice!) My plan is to mate this with a CB Performance 8 dowel CW Crankshaft. I think it just uses the gasket.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Danwvw on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:18 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Is this 6v flywheel a goner?+6v vs 12v Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Here are some photos of the MOFOCO 6 Volt Flywheel I have. I don't think it's supposed to use a Oring as the the Oring groove if that is what it is is right at the edge. Looks different than the Oring flywheel pictured above. My plan is to mate this with a CB Performance 8 dowel CW Crankshaft. I think it just uses the gasket.

What’s up w/ the chatter marks?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Is this 6v flywheel a goner?+6v vs 12v Reply with quote

I don't know maybe it's an early flywheel core and was opened up to fit a Oring crank? I don't see any problem with it.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Is this 6v flywheel a goner?+6v vs 12v Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
I don't know maybe it's an early flywheel core and was opened up to fit a Oring crank? I don't see any problem with it.

Ahh, i see. The flash and extra zoom makes it look worse I’m sure.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Is this 6v flywheel a goner?+6v vs 12v Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:
Why dick around mixing 6v and 12v stuff? Since you are using a 1600 crank, just use a common 200mm 12v o-ring flywheel and standard 12v started. Even better, get an autostick starter and don't worry about that stupid bellhouse bushing ever again.

Not everyone wants to convert the car to 12 volt, or grind the bell housing. It's honestly why I keep a few of the 200/6volt flywheels around, to install later engines into early cars with minimal fuss.

I suggested this because the op said he was running 12v, and was using a late 1600 crank. The picture is at the worse angle, but it looks like a late crank with the long shoulder and scallops. He can sell that hybrid starter and pay for all the common 12v stuff. Yes, the bellhouse would need clearanced, but that's simple. And he would have all matching, easy to fix/replace stuff rather than less-common components.
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this 6v flywheel a goner?+6v vs 12v Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
[overly simplified way to make a "rare" 200mm clutch, 6V ring gear, o-ring flywheel]

-find a good german core late model o-ring flywheel.
-have a competent machinist machine the 12V ring gear surface off the flywheel
-have the same competent machinist install a new 109 tooth / 6V ring gear

they are "rare" only if you want them to be.

that flywheel sure does look familiar Laughing Laughing
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this 6v flywheel a goner?+6v vs 12v Reply with quote

so, i got 2.107 in on the crank. So, its not an O ring style?

also,

This= unusable right?

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this 6v flywheel a goner?+6v vs 12v Reply with quote

Thats ugly but if the flywheel cleans up when surfaced and it fits and is balanced and there is no runout or wobble you certainly could run it. You should be able to find better flywheels than that! Good Luck!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Is this 6v flywheel a goner?+6v vs 12v Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Thats ugly but if the flywheel cleans up when surfaced and it fits and is balanced and there is no runout or wobble you certainly could run it. You should be able to find better flywheels than that! Good Luck!

That was my thought, at this point w/ so many out there, I’ll just keep an eye out for the right one.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: