Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Put the guts in the door prior to installation? Or after?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Put the guts in the door prior to installation? Or after? Reply with quote

Getting our 1974 KG Coupe back together. Hope to be dropping the body onto the chassis soon. Any recommendations on whether to put all the guts (glass, etc) back into the doors prior to attaching to body? Or do that after the doors are installed?

I would prefer to assemble the doors first since it allows me to works on parts separately from the car because the car is not at my house. Of course this makes the doors heavier.

But I know folks here have done this many times. Curious what the recommendation is.

Thanks,
Matt
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Put the guts in the door prior to installation? Or after? Reply with quote

Doors are much lighter without glass.

I'm old, I prefer light.

If you're young, strong like Bull...... put the glass in.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Put the guts in the door prior to installation? Or after? Reply with quote

Yes, but…

I too am older than I would prefer. 😊

Comma, if I can accomplish X number of hours of work away from the car, since my time with the car is limited, I try to take advantage of that.

All else being equal, I may go with the strong like bull, smart like rock, philosophy. If it saves me hours…
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Put the guts in the door prior to installation? Or after? Reply with quote

Do you have a door lift of a really good friend who you can swear at a lot? If so put the guts in them.

I've always found putting the innards in doors is much easier when the are bolted to the car.

brad
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Put the guts in the door prior to installation? Or after? Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you have a door lift of a really good friend who you can swear at a lot? If so put the guts in them.

I've always found putting the innards in doors is much easier when the are bolted to the car.

brad

I have a wife who gets in there and helps but puts up with too much already. Smile I guess I'll wait to put the guts in.

just trying to save time where I can.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Put the guts in the door prior to installation? Or after? Reply with quote

I put my doors on and then stuffed everything into them.
There are so many minuscule details that’s it’s impossible to bench assemble the door without a fixture.
What better fixture than the car?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Put the guts in the door prior to installation? Or after? Reply with quote

Let's say I am in the same situation, but with painted body and doors. To be honest I'd mount the doors afterward. Maybe glue the door seal to the door, and install the hinges on the doors, as well as brush on some creeping penetrating/protective agent along the seams, for rust protection. And then mount them to the car (new bolts really help, I have ones with Hexagon/allen shape, instead of Phillips head), and only THEN put the rest in.

The main idea is, not that the door is too heavy per se, but even with 2 people, putting a scratch/dent in that shiny paint is something to be avoided Shocked The hours you didn't work on the doors, maybe you forget, but the scratch that happened when hitting something because of the heavy door, you will see that forever Mad

My 50 Cents Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Put the guts in the door prior to installation? Or after? Reply with quote

Somewhat related question - does anyone have a good picture / description of the the assembly of all the door guts? I can picture one I've seen including how to make adjustments, but I can't find it...

Based on the feedback, I think I'll hold off on assembling the doors until after installed on the car.

Thanks.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Put the guts in the door prior to installation? Or after? Reply with quote

In the How To stickies
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9255317#9255317

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Put the guts in the door prior to installation? Or after? Reply with quote

I would suggest installing the door check straps before you hang the doors. Getting that installed is a real challenge.
d
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Put the guts in the door prior to installation? Or after? Reply with quote

Redlabel6 wrote:
I would suggest installing the door check straps before you hang the doors. Getting that installed is a real challenge.
d

Yes, the door stops and the seals I would put in before install, easier to do when they are off the car.

brad
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Put the guts in the door prior to installation? Or after? Reply with quote

I did see that sticky. It will help but I had another image in mind but maybe I imagined it. I think I'll be able to figure it out with all the info here.

Good call on the door check straps. Will do.

Thanks.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Put the guts in the door prior to installation? Or after? Reply with quote

The 1960 VW Karmann Ghia Shop Manual - Body Section, which can be found in the Karmann Ghia Owner's Manual section under The Samba Technical tab, has a whole section on doors and windows (removal, installation, adjustment, etc.) beginning on page A63-1.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: