Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randayn
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

I learned how to make an Outback Blooming Onion and the Special sauce. Turned out pretty good. Hint use some Garlic powder, its good for you.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got the Chainsaw out this afternoon, this tree ^^^ has pissed me off for a while now.......
I have enough "chores" to keep me busy for months........ Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Got the Chainsaw out this afternoon, this tree ^^^ has pissed me off for a while now.......

Recent haul from the recent windstorm. All of this came from within one block of my house. Mostly spruce, which isn't great firewood, but it'll keep the shop warm for a couple of years.

And, to be clear, I didn't use the single cab for hauling it all. I mostly used the low little trailer in the foreground. I also bent the tongue badly by overloading it, as you can see from its angle compared to the trailer deck. Just another thing to fix while isolating. Laughing

Those large rounds are easily 200 pounds each. Largest tree was about 32" at the butt.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Ok, now you have to load up that Pickup and take photos to re-enact a VW commercial from back in the day!

Last edited by KTPhil on Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Ok, now you have to load up that Pickup and take photos to re-enact a VW commercial from back in the day!

Hey!, they have toilet paper!, and it's on sale @ 17 pesos no less!

I like those slats on the insides of the gates, too many gates have suffered from shifting loads or careless loaders, those would stop everything but the kid on the forklift at Home Depot. You forget that those trucks were designed at a time when forklifts weren't a thing and nearly every kind of freight was hand bombed by plenty of strong goons.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:
But a few thoughts: People aren't dying from the virus, they just have it, and are dying from other issues? Kind of a weasel argument. It's a bit like saying "It wasn't the heart attack that killed him, it was the high cholesterol". Confused

It seems to me that those dying because of complications due to the virus is more like saying "he died of a heart attack, at least in part because he had high cholesterol."

The virus itself isn't the direct cause of death, it is the cause of pneumonia brought on by other underlying issues. The person dies from pneumonia, not COVID-19.

Am I missing something?

No, you've got it, and that's why saying the virus isn't what's killing people and is therefore trivial is weasel wording the argument. One might argue that AIDS isn't really deadly, it's pneumonia, or tuberculosis, or fungal infections that kill people with AIDS. Surprised

Also at the risk of being dismissive myself, you can autopsy a lot of people and find conditions they may or may not have known they had. If somebody shows up at the hospital, infected with coronavirus, dies, the doctor cuts them open and says "look here they had an advanced case of ______" that's not really swaying me into thinking the virus wasn't a factor in their death. Going "don't worry about coronavirus, unless you have existing conditions you may not know about" isn't particular helpful. And again, this argument that the virus isn't serious because it's mostly deadly to people who're old and have preexisting conditions is still based on the faulty logic of being sick isn't bad unless you die. It reduces illness to an all or none scenario. That only those over the age of 70 have a high risk of dying, doesn't negate that about a quarter of those hospitalized are under the age of 45.

Last edited by Mos6502 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Moderator time:
Sorry but we aren't going to get into any "pro-life" or "political leader is saying XXXX" as it simply turns into pages of arguing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Since a huge fraction (maybe a majority) of U.S.citizens have "underlying conditions" (diabetes, hypertension, obesity, asthma, etc), I guess almost none who die of COVID19 technically count then, right?
Rolling Eyes
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
I havent seen any data on cigarette smokers and c19. Honestly, lots of smokers in china and italy

and thesamba related, I havent seen any pot smoking c19 data either. lots of people saying "yeah man, weed helps the lungs re-generate" but that seems counter productive.

vaping seems like a terrible idea right now. glad I quit smoking cigarettes 4 years ago as well...

I have definitely read stuff saying that any smoking or lung issues will make it much worse.

You will probably save yourself some serious issues when and if you get it.

Last edited by EverettB on Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

I've noticed a lot more "social distancing" in cars in the last week and a half. At nearly every stoplight, now, I see at least one car that's 3 car lengths away from the car in front. Weird! Laughing

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
I've noticed a lot more "social distancing" in cars in the last week and a half. At nearly every stoplight, now, I see at least one car that's 3 car lengths away from the car in front. Weird! Laughing

On the freeway in Phoenix today the overhead traffic sign said something like "Keep your distance, in cars and in person"
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:

On the freeway in Phoenix today the overhead traffic sign said something like "Keep your distance, in cars and in person"

That's interesting. Maybe it presupposes that folks are driving with their windows down and Phoenix is simply exercising an abundance of caution in that alert. All the folks I have seen have had their windows rolled up. That's what I found so strange Very Happy

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
crukab wrote:

Recent haul from the recent windstorm. All of this came from within one block of my house. Mostly spruce, which isn't great firewood, but it'll keep the shop warm for a couple of years.

And, to be clear, I didn't use the single cab for hauling it all. I mostly used the low little trailer in the foreground. I also bent the tongue badly by overloading it, as you can see from its angle compared to the trailer deck. Just another thing to fix while isolating. Laughing

Those large rounds are easily 200 pounds each. Largest tree was about 32" at the butt.

I'm to lazy to "road hunt" my wood, I get a tractor trailer load of log length, cut & spilt it, cost about $1000, but it heats my house for 2-3 years.....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Here's a little non covid distraction from the doom and gloom, a home brewed TV commercial from a nearby independent (low budget) station that gave me a chuckle, VW content to boot!

Link

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Since a huge fraction (maybe a majority) of U.S.citizens have "underlying conditions" (diabetes, hypertension, obesity, asthma, etc), I guess almost none who die of COVID19 technically count then, right?
Rolling Eyes

I'm willing to bet a particular and peculiarly cult-like section of our society is going to push for that interpretation in the future.

I just read this article which has a number of interesting figures and graphs. A lot of countries are showing a decreased rate of new cases and deaths. Which if this is a continuing trend indicate that for most populations the peak number of cases will be reached soon (likely in a couple of months or less), and presumably then be on a downward trend. Unfortunately the U.S. is still on a strong upwards trajectory, possibly because we're still increasing testing/detection, but I think we might get stuck in this longer than most countries. Sad
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

This is one of the coolest friggin' VW photos I've seen in a LONG time. Shocked

Cool

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
crukab wrote:

Cool

X2

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randayn
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
crukab wrote:

Cool

Oh but the carbon emissions will destroy the planet, Wink
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Carbon emissions from wood burning are net zero.
randayn
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:

I think we might get stuck in this longer than most countries.

True. We have slowed the rate of transmission but extended the term of incidence. Wake up folks, this is not a two week vacation. Are you ready for another 12 weeks?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 46

Jump to: