Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission and/or handwritng analysis sleuths needed...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Transmission and/or handwritng analysis sleuths needed... Reply with quote

Hello,

I need help with handwriting analysis and/or transmission sleuthing.

Transmission: Vanagon 2WD manual 4 speed

Data: With 27" tires (Nokian WRC3 215/65 R16) in the stock .85 fourth gear (confirmed last year during a rebuild) the van goes 75 mph at 4,488 rpm. Doing the math shows this is a 5.5 (5.43?)ring & pinion (it would run 3,951 rpm at 75 mph with the 4.83 ring and pinion)

So this van has a non-stock 5.5 ring and pinion (not confirmed during last year's rebuild...more on that later). That's fine. I like the high revs with my Bostig and slightly oversize tires.

Mystery: In 2005 the PO had the trans rebuilt at AA Transaxle. What's the $500 item under the red arrow that looks like "LAB 500"??? Could this be a charge for the 5.5 R&P? What do you think LAB means?

Looking forward to tips, clues and ridiculously obvious answers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MPH and RPM with 27" Nokian WRC3 215/yt R16 tires
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/b]

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and/or handwritng analysis sleuths needed... Reply with quote

Call AA in the morning for the most accurate information.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and/or handwritng analysis sleuths needed... Reply with quote

Labor
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and/or handwritng analysis sleuths needed... Reply with quote

yup, Labour cost, 500 bucks. Hoses 16 bucks, oil 40 bucks, etc...

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and/or handwritng analysis sleuths needed... Reply with quote

erste wrote:
Labor

Ha! Thanks for the ridiculously obvious answer. I was intently focused an trying to figure out how the 5.5 R&P got inside my tranny. It's still a mystery. The PO owned it for nearly 20 years before I bought it 7 years ago and I can't find any reference to it in a solid stack of records.

Oh well, labor it is.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission and/or handwritng analysis sleuths needed... Reply with quote

There is lot of bad advice here.

The clutch rings are held in my things called dogs, and here they clearly got one from a

Lab.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission and/or handwritng analysis sleuths needed... Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
erste wrote:
Labor

I was intently focused an trying to figure out how the 5.5 R&P got inside my tranny. It's still a mystery.

A 5.43 was stock on some transmission. Also, a used or NOS 5.43 can be had for very cheap. (I got a good one for $60). Maybe the PO lost his original R/P and that was the only replacement he could find/afford.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission and/or handwritng analysis sleuths needed... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

The clutch rings are held in my things called dogs, and here they clearly got one from a

Lab.

Maybe, but then I'd expect details: yellow, black or chocolate?

Abscate wrote:

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission and/or handwritng analysis sleuths needed... Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
erste wrote:
Labor

I was intently focused an trying to figure out how the 5.5 R&P got inside my tranny. It's still a mystery.

A 5.43 was stock on some transmission. Also, a used or NOS 5.43 can be had for very cheap. (I got a good one for $60). Maybe the PO lost his original R/P and that was the only replacement he could find/afford.

Good points. I didn't clarify this is a '90 2.1 wbx which shows as 4.83 being stock but the hypothesis that it was an undocumented change is reasonable.

This is my reference. Thanks for the great info, Kamz!
http://oldbluesblog.com/files/VanagonTransSpecs.pdf

Abscate wrote:

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission and/or handwritng analysis sleuths needed... Reply with quote

If you look at that receipt it shows a DU tranny code which is early WBX, so your van being a 90 isn't relevant to that tranny or what might be inside anymore.

Mark

jimf909 wrote:

Good points. I didn't clarify this is a '90 2.1 wbx which shows as 4.83 being stock but the hypothesis that it was an undocumented change is reasonable.

This is my reference. Thanks for the great info, Kamz!
http://oldbluesblog.com/files/VanagonTransSpecs.pdf
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission and/or handwritng analysis sleuths needed... Reply with quote

I believe stock is 4.86 ring and pinion in the WBX 2wd. I have a calculator on my PC and using your info this is what I calculates with your tire and stock WBX gearing.

Engine speeds in top gear:-
30 MPH = 1546 RPM 40 MPH = 2062 RPM 50 MPH = 2577 RPM 60 MPH = 3093 RPM 70 MPH = 3608 RPM 80 MPH = 4123 RPM 90 MPH = 4639 RPM 100 MPH = 5154 RPM
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and/or handwritng analysis sleuths needed... Reply with quote

More helpful info.

Interesting on the DU code. Ive got a prettty decent set of paperwork going back two owners to 1994 but nothing other than tranny seals and clutches in all of it. The PO was pretty hands on and swapping out a trans at one point wouldn't be out of the question but his paperwork was also very detailed.

Thanks for the math, Mark. That's pretty much what I have too so we know for sure it's a 5.xx ring and pinion.

The tranny is being rebuilt by Ken at German Transaxle so we'll know all the details next week.

This exercise is an attempt to discover when the ring and pinion or entire trans was changed from stock and that may forever be a mystery.

Thanks, everyone.

Abscate wrote:

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and/or handwritng analysis sleuths needed... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Lab.

I laughed so hard I had to clutch my belly. Laughing

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission and/or handwritng analysis sleuths needed... Reply with quote

Nokian specs says the 215/65R16 WRC3 turns 770 revs/mile

---------------------------

So if 5.5 r&p and .85 4th gear we get:

60 mph = 1 mile/minute
60 mph = 770 tire revs/minute
770 x 5.5 x .85 = 3600 engine rpm

75 mph = 1.25 mile/minute
75 mph = 963 tire revs/minute
963 x 5.5 x .85 = 4500 engine rpm

------------------------------

If it was a stock DU code inside with
4.86 and .85 we get:

60 mph = 1 mile/minute
60 mph = 770 tire rev/mile
770 x 4.86 x .85 = 3180 engine rpm

75 mph = 1.25 mile/minute
75 mph = 963 tire rev/minute
963 x 4.86 x .85 = 3980 engine rpm

-------------------------------------------------------

Looking at Vanagon Green Bentley page 2
US spec 1.9 engine used tranny codes DU and ABD
US spec 2.1 engine used tranny codes ABD and ACW

roughly put,
83-84 used DU
85-86 used ABD
87-91 used ACW

The actual teeth counts of the various gears of the 3 tranny codes for 2wd wbx 4 speeds are given separately on various pages.
All 3 are shown together on page 35.32

Mark
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and/or handwritng analysis sleuths needed... Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I believe stock is 4.86 ring and pinion in the WBX 2wd. I have a calculator on my PC and using your info this is what I calculates with your tire and stock WBX gearing.

German Transaxle has the tranny on their bench and say the R&P is a 4.83 (6t/29t) and it's well worn. They're recommending a 4.86 (7t/34t).

I'm baffled by the rpm calcs that suggest I have. 5.5 or 5.43 R&P but I'll see how it works when it all comes back together.

When it all comes back I'll be posting the tales of two tranny rebuilds 10K miles apart. I've learned more than I ever expected to.

Abscate wrote:

Last edited by jimf909 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and/or handwritng analysis sleuths needed... Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
When it all comes back I'll be posting the tales of two tranny rebuilds 10K miles apart.

brother, you're not the only one...

get as many GT (gears) parts in there as you can afford.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: