Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Aufgeladen Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Got her running on her own idle now. Got the AFR set to about 12. Mick from Joeblow is helping me with the MAP table. The 10psi turbo table isnt cutting it.

Link

Tbm700
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

That is awsome !
Good job !
What fuel mileage do you expect with the charger ?
I would love to order a kit for my westfalia and use it as convenient as a daily driver. Do you have any recommendations ?
Éric
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Tbm700 wrote:
That is awsome !
Good job !
What fuel mileage do you expect with the charger ?
I would love to order a kit for my westfalia and use it as convenient as a daily driver. Do you have any recommendations ?
Éric

Thanks Tbm700. Haven't gotten it on the road yet. I will say, I do not expect the greatest gas mileage. With these Weber Carburetors, they say choose between 3 things, power, torque, or mileage. I will be shooting for power. There are many setups out there, I've seen people even using a Solex PICT 3. I would imagine, these would have better gas mileage. Even going as far EFI. Both Joeblow and The Dub Shop have their own EFI setups, although very expensive, will be the best option for gas mileage.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Fully installed, JB 10psi Blown MAP table loaded, throttle cable connected at the pedal. Purring like a kitten at idle and sounding powerful at 3000rpm. Timing feels really good through 3000rpm too. Seeking good boost, about 6-8psi as I rev it. AFR gauge reading 12.5 at idle.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Fully installed...
👍🏼 👍🏼
Tbm700
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

xzener wrote:

Thanks Tbm700. Haven't gotten it on the road yet. I will say, I do not expect the greatest gas mileage. With these Weber Carburetors, they say choose between 3 things, power, torque, or mileage. I will be shooting for power. There are many setups out there, I've seen people even using a Solex PICT 3. I would imagine, these would have better gas mileage. Even going as far EFI. Both Joeblow and The Dub Shop have their own EFI setups, although very expensive, will be the best option for gas mileage.

I will follow your thread with great interest.
I’m about to buy a Joeblow Kit, but I was told that the new Weber carb isn’t as efficient at low end and transition as a dellorto DHLA.
EFI is a great setting but à little too complicated for me now.

Best regards

Éric
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

The good thing about JB kits, is I have many of the items required to upgrade to EFI. Just need the crank trigger, throttle body, EFI intakes, injectors and control module. But will wait till the next motor for that.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Is carb the reason that hood won't close, or blower? If carb, whip up a differen manifold and slap a Mikuni or Keihin single CV40 bike carb on it...

Bryan
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

I’m inspired by your wire wrap. Do you have a link for it?
Do you have a photos of that rear brake light working in your gallery?
I’ve been meaning to look back through at your LED tail lights as well.

I’ll be excited to hear how you feel about it after it’s all dialed in.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Nice work buddy! Applause

After beging almost finished right now...how do you rate that kit concerning "Plug & Play" ?
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Is carb the reason that hood won't close, or blower? If carb, whip up a differen manifold and slap a Mikuni or Keihin single CV40 bike carb on it...

Bryan

Both are I'm afraid.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Inchpincher61 wrote:
Nice work buddy! Applause

After beging almost finished right now...how do you rate that kit concerning "Plug & Play" ?

Well... I dropped the motor to be able to remove the SP manifold. Built up the top end, got everything tightened down... just to tear it back down again to be able to fit it in the car. Kind of a pain in the ass. But, if you can remove an engine, you can install this kit with ease. And even more so if your coming from a DP manifold. Can probably be done without dropping the motor.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I’m inspired by your wire wrap. Do you have a link for it?

This is the best wire wrap I've ever used. Here you go... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FXF12HC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Got the 1" wooden spacers mocked up on the deck lid. Good news is, it closes (clears the supercharger and carburetor), locks and opens normally... Bad news is, now I have to take it all apart again to get the aluminum ones done up. Was even able to adjust the third brake light to where it's still visible.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

No difference from the above pictures, but here is the finished product. 3rd brake light still useful. If anything, the louvers are gonna work more like a spoiler than a scoop. I'm pondering the idea of using a square shaped rubber seal, to seal the engine compartment from the elements. The louvers could then work as designed by drawing in air to cool engine. What do you guys think? Found this stuff. Might require trimming, but should work...
https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=20221

Last edited by xzener on Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
What do you guys think?

It’s kinda tragic.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

It’s kinda tragic.

What, using weather stripping... Why is that tragic?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

It’s kinda tragic.

What, using weather stripping... Why is that tragic?

No, the clean lines of a Ghia & all of the work into the body for it to look like “the trunk don’t fit, too bad they couldn’t fix it”.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
... or just go all TDCTDI modifying the underside of the decklid with a block of wood and a BFH to allow it to close properly with the manifold as is. Wink

Yeah, maybe I should use a block of wood and a BFH huh? Wink
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

I'm going to disagree most respectfully with my namesake. The Ghia's innocent lines and curves may benefit from just the subtlest hint that there is something special under the hood. With the front of the engine hood standing proud it may well achieve just that.

I say go for it.

Chris M
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 39 of 46

Jump to: