Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Five minute test to be introduced...

https://www.breitbart.com/health/2020/03/28/abbott-announces-ship-5-minute-coronavirus-test/

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Carbon Neutral?
Yes....... but........

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/epa-declares-burning-wood-carbon-neutral-180968880/

Don't get me wrong, I love my Jotul and the heat it provides! They will need to rip that sucker out of my cold dead hands!

Dave

Using the logic that wood is carbon neutral, if petroleum and gas (fossil fuel) is indeed ancient plant and animal life, decomposed into petroleum and gas, then petroleum and gas are indeed carbon neutral too.

And of course with petroleum and gas we dont need to destroy vast areas of forests to get the energy. And gas burns very clean, unlike smokey wood.

I wonder if the chain saws, and wood splitters are all carbon neutral, what of the vw pickup trucks that transport that wood?

I wonder what would happen to the tree growth rate if somehow magically the CO2 content of the air was reduced.

Laughing

It takes about 50 million years for the earth to turn carbon based life forms into oil. It takes about 30 or 40 years for a tree to grow. If you lived for 50 million years, I suppose oil could be considered carbon neutral.

I'd also argue that logging is less destructive overall than oil production, but it's really comparing apples to oranges.

Zed999 wrote:

Did you notice the (exponential?) scales on all the graphs to turn the curves the other way up? Perhaps this is to take into account the nature of the spread but I couldn't find an explanation.

I didn't notice until after posting the link, and likely it is just bad graphic design (the spacing on the scale is not consistent either). However, I read articles yesterday saying that the rate of new cases has slowed down in Italy, and looking around we can see this is happening in at least a couple other countries. So, if it is a continuing trend, we'd still expect the peak number of cases to be approaching.

Last edited by Mos6502 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

some here would argue with a rock if only it wouldn't roll away tired of hearing it Rolling Eyes
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
some here would argue with a rock if only it wouldn't roll away tired of hearing it Rolling Eyes

I'm so glad not to be a part of this thread anymore- except to post that I'm not part of this thread anymore.
I've never read so much moronitude in all my life.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
minger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Quote:
I didn't notice until after posting the link, and likely it is just bad graphic design (the spacing on the scale is not consistent either).

It's not a graphic error. It's a log scale on the vertical. Equal intervals are 10X the previous mark.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Todays chore:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cleaning out the '65 Pamper, getting pics & engine #s of the last 3 36 H.P. engines I have, sorting thru the crap I've stored in the Bus for the last 10 years..

Just trying to be productive w/ all this spare time on my hands.

Now you all have something new to argue about. Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Carbon Neutral?
Yes....... but........

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/epa-declares-burning-wood-carbon-neutral-180968880/

Don't get me wrong, I love my Jotul and the heat it provides! They will need to rip that sucker out of my cold dead hands!

Dave

Articles like that are to be taken with a grain of salt, or maybe several. Every time the writer states "one study suggests" or something similar, you can bet there is at least one other study suggesting the exact opposite.

As with any news source, always look for the slant, and the cues toward that slant. Then make your own educated decision.

A modern, clean burning and well maintained wood stove is a great way to heat a home or shop. Season the wood well, keep the fire hot, and keep the chimney clean. When my stove is burning at anything other than start-up temps, there is absolutely no smoke coming out the chimney, just heat waves.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

minger wrote:
Quote:
I didn't notice until after posting the link, and likely it is just bad graphic design (the spacing on the scale is not consistent either).

It's not a graphic error. It's a log scale on the vertical. Equal intervals are 10X the previous mark.

Was going to crop a screenshot, but it'll be easier to say you're right. Think
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Carbon Neutral?
Yes....... but........

Dave

Articles like that are to be taken with a grain of salt, or maybe several. Every time the writer states "one study suggests" or something similar, you can bet there is at least one other study suggesting the exact opposite.

As with any news source, always look for the slant, and the cues toward that slant. Then make your own educated decision.

A modern, clean burning and well maintained wood stove is a great way to heat a home or shop. Season the wood well, keep the fire hot, and keep the chimney clean. When my stove is burning at anything other than start-up temps, there is absolutely no smoke coming out the chimney, just heat waves.

It’s actually also quite green because there is no transport energy cost, no transmission loss, little environment impact, and it doesn’t fart and wipe out Japan very few decades.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Todays chore:

Cleaning out the '65 Pamper, getting pics & engine #s of the last 3 36 H.P. engines I have, sorting thru the crap I've stored in the Bus for the last 10 years..

It always feels good to clean out the storage shed. If it weren't raining here now, and for the next few days, I might be doing the same thing. Except that mine is an Econoline. Laughing
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
crukab wrote:
Todays chore:

It always feels good to clean out the storage shed. If it weren't raining here now, and for the next few days, I might be doing the same thing. Except that mine is an Econoline. Laughing

I feel ya on the rain thing. I wanna work out some carb linkage issues. But the damn rain is keeping me inside the house. It's supposed to be better tomorrow.

Stay safe everyone.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Carbon Neutral?
Yes....... but........

Dave

It’s actually also quite green because there is no transport energy cost, no transmission loss, little environment impact, and it doesn’t fart and wipe out Japan very few decades.

To be fair, there is some cost/impact in transport and machining (chainsaw, truck and trailer, and wood splitter). I like to split by hand when I can (great exercise) but any sort of knotty coniferous wood is nearly impossible to split that way, especially if it's still green like the stuff I recently hauled home.

I support nuclear energy in theory. I do not support building plants next to major bodies of water, nor transporting spent fuel. Keep it all in one place, recycle the water used for cooling, and build to the highest standards nowhere near a fault line.

I highly doubt any of those parameters will be met when politicians are involved in the process.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Carbon Neutral?
Yes....... but........

Dave

funny how you put it, assuming transport is not free, the only way for zero transport cost is to burn with no transport. That is called a forest fire.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Unless you live IN the woods, in which case, transport is not much.

I live in a city that is NEXT to a pine covered mountains, It would be great to use the wood as fuel but it isn't practical to transport it to the city.

But IF you lived in the woods it would be better to use it as fuel rather than allowing it collect and naturally burn your house down. No question.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Carbon Neutral?
Yes....... but........

Dave

funny how you put it, assuming transport is not free, the only way for zero transport cost is to burn with no transport. That is called a forest fire.

The pile of wood I posted recently was all taken from within a block of my house. I used my Chevy to pull a trailer, but I technically could have taken 100 trips with a wheelbarrow for zero transport costs.
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

The pile of wood I posted recently was all taken from within a block of my house. I used my Chevy to pull a trailer, but I technically could have taken 100 trips with a wheelbarrow for zero transport costs.

Wait, what about the wear n tear on that wheelbarrow tire, 100 trips....man, no way, a trip for a new tire? Wheelbarrow bearings would need a fresh packing, have grease?

Shoelace or bootlace, you know, they only fail when you need em the most.

Calories, man, more food/beer for all that wheelbarrow operating. Very Happy

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:

2. Wife a NICU nurse in western Mass. Not a huge Covid-19 population there (under 100 I believe) but they have now started reassigning nursing duties because of a lack of protective equipment. Instead of single use they have designated nurses to wear the same equipment for the entire shifts and other nurses to be "runners" doing all the low risk activities. So if anyone doubts protective clothing shortages I can assure you they are real.

I'm glad one hospital has thought about consolidating the need to be in and out of a room. I'm afraid some of these shortages are self induced. Hospital staff are used to going in and out of a room and throwing it away each time. Non-essential staff going in and out of rooms, each time using PPE. Different times call for different measures. Some of this should have been instituted near the beginning when the impending need was identified.

It's not an ideal situation but sometimes you have to adjust to the situation. Shortages are one thing, being completely out is another. I applaud your wife for fighting the fight in these less than ideal times.

And before someone goes off, I would love for hospitals and others that need PPE to have an abundance. I'm a nurse, in a VA hospital (think older population) and I work with heart failure patients throughout the hospital. I see and feel the need for PPE. I have also spent time screening everyone that wants to enter the hospital but that's a whole other topic.

I post this not for a pat on the back, but as someone who goes into a hospital every day and experiences what's going on. I know alot of the posters in the Samba don't work in healthcare so I thought I'd chime in.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Id really like some freaked out individual to sell me his/her 912 right now. they are still kinda dumb priced for the most part
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

Here's another topic within this that I have found interesting in earlier posts. Is it the corona virus that's responsible for deaths when people have an underlying medical condition? Arguments can go both ways.

But in the heart failure world, before this pandemic hit, part of my duties include looking at patients that are discharged with heart failure and among other things, look to see if heart failure was there principal discharge diagnosis. Heart failure patients most often times have other comorbidities - kidney failure, lung disease (including COPD, hypertension, diabetes, etc. And, you can argue that heart failure causes kidney failure or vice versa, for example.

After a chart review, I sometimes find patients that are coded as having heart failure as the primary discharge diagnosis and sometimes it's incorrect. When I bring it up to the coders responsible for deciding the diagnoses, I'm often times met with "we can only code what the doctor puts in the chart." And then the lengthy process of getting it correctly coded begins as correct coding affects alot of things, including reimbursement, comparing us with other hospitals, etc.

Just food for thought. The whole healthcare situation is fluid and sometimes not exact. I like to say that medicine is an art with a scientific background.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
randayn
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:

I post this not for a pat on the back, but as someone who goes into a hospital every day and experiences what's going on. I know alot of the posters in the Samba don't work in healthcare so I thought I'd chime in.

Due to social distancing and this being the internet I cant pat you on the back but I do want to THANK YOU for your service.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 46

Jump to: