Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine curiosity
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustpan
Samba Member

Location: hitchhiking at the end of space to get a bite to eat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Engine curiosity Reply with quote

So I'm looking to buy a 1971 beetle through a friends friend and when inspecting it I found that the engine isn't what I'm used to seeing. Unfortunately I didn't think to take a photo of it till I got home but I found online a similar image.
I'm just curious about what has been done to the engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Kjb13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine curiosity Reply with quote

The single, centrally mounted carb has been removed and replaced with dual carbs.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Engine curiosity Reply with quote

Dual single barrel carbs, 009 distributor, blue coil, aftermarket crank pulley and aftermarket 36hp style fan shroud.

Could be otherwise stock, but you should ask the seller what's been done to it.

Looks like a nice clean, maybe new, engine and the car looks good from here. please post more pics.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustpan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Engine curiosity Reply with quote

He said it was a stock rebuilt engine. On a side note the body though it needs a paint job is in fantastic shape with very little rust to the amount of it's really just nitpicking lol.

Btw the photo is not of the car I am looking to buy, I just found that photo online and am just using it as an example.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Engine curiosity Reply with quote

Quote:
Btw the photo is not of the car I am looking to buy,

Rolling Eyes
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Engine curiosity Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
Btw the photo is not of the car I am looking to buy,

Rolling Eyes

^^^^^^
This

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustpan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Engine curiosity Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I'd put the engine back to stock but I think the body and chassis is worth the low price he is asking for.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Engine curiosity Reply with quote

dustpan wrote:
... Unfortunately I didn't think to take a photo of it till I got home but I found online a similar image.

He *did* make this clear in his post!!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
labraynard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Engine curiosity Reply with quote

So what is the "low"price he's asking? I have a 71 with a 1835 with dual carb setup that looks like what you are looking at. Performance wise I would not go back to stock. I'm always curious when I hear the phrase " stock rebuild"...might want to ask who did the rebuild, what exactly did the rebuild entail. New jugs? Heads? rebuilt or ? Does he have any receipts showing what was purchased or any machine work done?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine curiosity Reply with quote

dustpan wrote:
So I'm looking to buy a 1971 beetle through a friends friend and when inspecting it I found that the engine isn't what I'm used to seeing. Unfortunately I didn't think to take a photo of it till I got home but I found online a similar image.
I'm just curious about what has been done to the engine.

The only way to accurately assess what’s been done would be take it all apart and measure everything, then you’ll know or you’ll have to ask very specific questions and believe what they are telling you
dustpan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Engine curiosity Reply with quote

I felt like doing a follow-up. Here is a picture of the actual engine in question. I've decided to buy the car, he's only asking $2500 for it. I pretty much just need to paint the car which I know someone who's a professional painter and will do the painting as long as I pay for the paint.

tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Engine curiosity Reply with quote

Besides all the aftermarket parts the thing that strikes me as janky is the plate that the coil is mounted too. At $2.5K hopefully you'll have some money left over to make some improvements and educate yourself.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
jay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Engine curiosity Reply with quote

Those are EMPI epc carbs with a different linkage. I had some on a stock 1600. Surprisingly they woke the motor up and ran really well. Still have them in a box in the shop.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Engine curiosity Reply with quote

I'd get rid of the cross bar mounts on the carbs. They're not doing anything anyway.
Mount the coil in the proper spot. It's under that stupid aluminum plate.
Work on all the wiring hacks in the engine compartment.
Get a Wofsburg West sound deadener. And install that too. Your hearing will thank you for that.
Go to Halsey automotive or Discount Auto Parts and get some fresh air tube seals. If these shops are open, that is.
Move the fuel filter out of the engine compartment. Locate it next to the drivers side of the transmission.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
dustpan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Engine curiosity Reply with quote

I really appreciate everyone's information, it will be helpful for what I need to do to it since I wasn't planing on leaving as it is anyways. Btw in my neck of the woods $2500 is kind of a steal for the condition it's in I've seen cars in worse condition sell for $3000 and up, don't know what's up with the price hike in this area since they're not that difficult to find here.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Engine curiosity Reply with quote

add provisions for crankcase venting, the stock venting was removed. double on the fuel filter, the 95 cent filter can leak fuel right on the sparking dizzie, that is always bad.

ditto on linkage and other comments.

lets see the rest of your potential new ride, we love photos!

Bug On!

ps orange is an excellent color!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Engine curiosity Reply with quote

dustpan wrote:
I really appreciate everyone's information, it will be helpful for what I need to do to it since I wasn't planing on leaving as it is anyways. Btw in my neck of the woods $2500 is kind of a steal for the condition it's in I've seen cars in worse condition sell for $3000 and up, don't know what's up with the price hike in this area since they're not that difficult to find here.

The market is inflated by the auction shows on TV. Everybody thinks that their car is worth more than it really is.
That said. You get what you pay for in this hobby.

I paid 3x what you did for an AZ car. Then had it shipped here. No rust issues, mechanically/electrically sound, and damn fun to drive. Is it perfect? No. Will it do the job I ask of it? Oh yes!

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: