Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

mc lovin it , early 1964 bug project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

Nice work, how did you do the bending of the lines. Mine was completed per the previous owner but is missing a section, that's why i ask.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

rah253 wrote:
Nice work, how did you do the bending of the lines. Mine was completed per the previous owner but is missing a section, that's why i ask.

Oo oo I can answer this. Get the line from Eric of Bughaus, nice soft German lines. Then use sockets held in a vice to bend the curves without kinking the lines.

You have the old line to copy?

Which line is it? Ask because there are some that the date change isn't apparent (Eric still provided the correct line at no cost and saved the wrong one to pass to someone needing it).

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

Unless it’s a real tight bend, I usually just bend them by hand. But I make all of my own lines anyway.

That tight upward bend might be a point of aggravation when bleeding the brakes. An air bubble might be difficult to purge due to the high angle.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Unless it’s a real tight bend, I usually just bend them by hand.

Just passing along what I was taught by others in needing to support them and Eric is the one who suggested a socket. Yes, made an adjustment or two by hand, though knew how little force to apply. Better to be safe than sorry, especially when helping a first timer, how would you feel if used their hands and kinked a line?

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

It all looks really nice from the Pics you showed. I dont see any kinks or anything of the sorts Very Happy good work!

As for bending the lines, if you will be doing this more than a few times... which I wouldn’t think so but you never know... you can buy the tool that allows you to bend your metal lines to a specific angle w/out risking screwing it up. Otherwise, the socket trick works great although you dont need to use a socket perhaps.
bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

Rah253 TDCTDI Adriel chickensoup thanks for checkin in . this is the tool mid America sent me when I ordered the brake lines . I didn't order the tool but .. they sent it .. probably hoping I wouldn't damage the lines .. but it helped .and im glad they threw it in my order .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

used this tool and my hands .. wasn't aware of the socket idea trick . anyways thanks again
bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Unless it’s a real tight bend, I usually just bend them by hand. But I make all of my own lines anyway.

That tight upward bend might be a point of aggravation when bleeding the brakes. An air bubble might be difficult to purge due to the high angle.
thinking i might loosen both nuts , and maybe lay that section over ? what do you think ?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

Double checking one of my cars, yours isn't too far off from original.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

Yes, if you need reference on anything like this I will take pictures for you while my chassis is still mostly untouched.

Also, that was not the tool that I own/had in mind but it will work too. Better than doing it bu hand Very Happy
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

bad91teg wrote:
nice nice the cat passin thru . so snapped that pic and will take Rome suggestion for cat and vw thread .and by the way nice nice is not so nice . lol .he is super nice to me and the wife . but other cats , rabbits , not so much . NOTICE his ear tip cut off ? he is a outdoor cat and a group did free spay and nuter . so nice nice went in ,and he came home like that lol . I had no idea its for marking outdoor cats in rural areas . so farmers and people can see its fixed and NOT to shoot it . crazy I never heard of such a thing . anyways .

I hate cats and then we got this cool stray black cat that we just had to keep. Had this wicked cool tattered ear from taking no sh#t in the neighborhood. Got her fixed at the local APL and she comes out of the situation with a clipped ear just like that! Was really bummed out and would have paid full price at a private vet if I had known, just so we could have kept that tattered ear. Had her for years. She'd walk on a leash like a dog. Take her camping with us and at night she'd go around batting the night crawlers so I'd gather them up in a cup and take her fishing in the morning for bass. Man do I miss that girl. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

This build is fantastic. The fresh silver brake lines over gloss black chassis looks KICK ASS.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

Buggeee thanks for that awesome reply . dude I hear you about that tattered ear . sure it looked bad ass .true battle scars . sounds like that cat kicked ass . your story had me smiling and laughing . Im so glad that cat won you over and you guys had your time . thanks for takin the time and telling that story .
bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

the last of my parts for the chassis arrived . I hope there is no corona air in those boxes lol .
tie rod ends . this about wraps up the chassis . few odds and ends , but on to the next chapter . ENGINE WILL BE NEXT . might be a lil while before I post again , I want to build up some pics and progress before posting again . IF MR .TRUMP SENDS ME A CHECK . there might be a set of brm wheels sitting here soon .
bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

what if I did patina / weathered engine cooling tins only ? stupid or not ? yah or nah ? that is the question

a lot of decisions to be made during a build . this is one of many .lol with some black paint , sandpaper , water , then clear coat I could make these things look weathered and more realistic . the rest of the car would be prim and proper . just cooling tins done like this
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

bad91teg wrote:
what if I did patina / weathered engine cooling tins only ? stupid or not ? yah or nah ? that is the question

Meh. Neutral
Plain ol' black cools best and always looks good.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

x2 I don't think you will be happy with it, it's going to look crappy against what looks like a clean engine case.

Even if someone has a super crappy looking Patina car, if I see a nice clean engine I feel like they are taking care of it.

It doesn't match up with the rest of what you have done either

If you want something different than stock, maybe do flat black or full gloss instead of semi-gloss?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

hey everyone . wanted to share this cool poster I got for my game room . hard to get a good pic with glare . the bug has a rusty finish , lowered on centerlines . figured you could appreciate .
bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

wanted to document engine condition with some pics .

bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

then it was time to tear it down .

started some prep on engine cooling tins also .
started cleaning block

bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

some of the parts that will be black
bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: mic lovin it , early 1964 bug project Reply with quote

wanted to do black inlay on block numbers .
and on the black gen/alt stand , I did reverse technique .

Last edited by bad91teg on Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 21

Jump to: