Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Window Dolly-Rear
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Split Window Dolly-Rear Reply with quote

Some where here on Samba I saw a photo of a rear end dolly for a bus, but as usual I can't find it now.

Engine-Transmission-Axle's-and RGB's are all removed but I would like to fabricate a dolly to move the bus straight back and straight forward in my shop.

Where are the best places to support the rear of the bus for this purpose?

Is the axle transmission yoke strong enough to hold up to this?

Thank you and take care

Jeff
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Dolly-Rear Reply with quote

this is exactly what you are looking for:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/local_manufacture/tools-675-699.pdf
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Dolly-Rear Reply with quote

Lind

Wow, interesting! I wasn't aware that the two transmission tubes were strong enough to support all that weight.

Thank you so much

Jeff
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Dolly-Rear Reply with quote

I have a dolly that I bought from ebay which is basically a pair of axle stands joined by a cross bar with wheels so it can be moved.

I put it under the torsion tube like normal jackstands.

Not sure if this link will work for you in the US, but it's this thing...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobile-Axle-Stand-Red-J...SwU1NdXnCP

I just use it to swing the back and from side to side for access because I only have a single garage to work in. If I were moving it any distance, I'd lash the torsion tube to the frame of the unit with ratchet straps to stop it jumping off the stands.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Dolly-Rear Reply with quote

Andy

That looks great, thanks for sharing.

Here's what I built this afternoon, hopefully it will do the trick for moving the
bus around. Well, just up loaded but for some reason I can't find them.
When they show up I will post them.

Jeff in Iowa
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Dolly-Rear Reply with quote

Found them, guess I need to be more patient.

j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Dolly-Rear Reply with quote

Be careful of the weight rating on your dolly wheels. Those look a little on the light side.
If your floor is smooth and flat you should be OK, but bigger diameter and or rubber tires might work better on rough surfaces.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Dolly-Rear Reply with quote

If you are doing a lot of suspension or metal work, consider a larger dolly.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Dolly-Rear Reply with quote

Lind, you find the coolest stuff, I especially like the working drawings, I may use in my class.....er virtual class.

Lind wrote:
this is exactly what you are looking for:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/local_manufacture/tools-675-699.pdf

Nice job Jeler

Jeler wrote:
Found them, guess I need to be more patient.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Dolly-Rear Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
Be careful of the weight rating on your dolly wheels. Those look a little on the light side.
If your floor is smooth and flat you should be OK, but bigger diameter and or rubber tires might work better on rough surfaces.

Pickens

Each 4" wheel is rated at 340lbs. Only using it on smooth flat concrete. Other wise I would have known better to use larger wheels like you mentioned.

Jeff
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Dolly-Rear Reply with quote

LAGrunt,

Thank you and it was easy and inexpensive to build. Should do the trick.

Jeff
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Dolly-Rear Reply with quote

Rather ingenious. I like it. How are the caster mounts attached?
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Dolly-Rear Reply with quote

This is what I use. Best picture I have from a few years back.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Dolly-Rear Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Lind, you find the coolest stuff, I especially like the working drawings, I may use in my class.....er virtual class.

Lots and lots more of those dealer blueprints in the "Local Manufacture of Tools" thru the "Technical" button at top of this page. Then scroll down to the "VW Tools" column.
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Dolly-Rear Reply with quote

Been using this homemade one for 21 years now. Works best on concrete, going on/off trailer is not too bad.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Dolly-Rear Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Rather ingenious. I like it. How are the caster mounts attached?

Barry

Thanks! Casters are mounted using 2 -1/4" lags & 2-Bolts, nuts and washers.
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Dolly-Rear Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
Been using this homemade one for 21 years now. Works best on concrete, going on/off trailer is not too bad.

Loog-roofs

Looks great and solid!
Great job. No doubt it'll last another 21 years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: