Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 replica 5x205 wheels with drum covers over 4x130 rotors?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: 356 replica 5x205 wheels with drum covers over 4x130 rotors? Reply with quote

I’m trying to wrap my head around using a 5x205 356 style wheel on a 5x130 Ghia style disc brake setup for a 356 replica. Has anyone done this?

I’m not real fond of the adapters, but I suppose I could use one of the plate style ones that would at least get the wheel bolted up. Can one of the flat plate adapters work with a Ghia style caliper?

I then got to thinking about the drum covers that make it appear that the vehicle has 356 aluminum drums. The drum covers wouldn’t be able to sit on top of the adapter attachment lugbolts though. Has anyone used a plate adapter, and cut out the center of a drum cover to clear the 4x130 attachment lugs? If so, did you have any clearance issues with the drum covers, and the calipers?

Something like this with the addition of a 356 brake drum appearing cover.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 356 replica 5x205 wheels with drum covers over 4x130 rotors? Reply with quote

Have a friend with those adapters on his 356 replica. He tried to find Allen head bolts that would recess and be flush with the surface. (I am surprised EMPI doesn't make them!) He could never find them in metric and didn't want to retap the 4 Bolt piece. He finally ended up swapping out the adapter to a brake rotor assembly for the wide 5's (basically replaced everything).

I guess you could drill 4 holes in the drum skinz and go that way too.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 356 replica 5x205 wheels with drum covers over 4x130 rotors? Reply with quote

Yeah, I searched every metric fastener place I knew of, and could only come up with m14 x 2.0 pitch countersunk bolts. I thought of cutting out the center as a whole, but simply creating holes where the lugbolts would be would leave a little more material for structure. CB’s drum covers say they will go over a 10 inch drum. I guess the next thing I need to find out is the diameter of the plate adapters. I’ll do some searching here, but does anyone off hand know the diameter of Empi’s 4x130 to 5x205 3/8 thick flat plate adapters? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 replica 5x205 wheels with drum covers over 4x130 rotors? Reply with quote

I doubt the drum covers will clear the calipers 13" wheels wont abd they're bigger than the covers
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: 356 replica 5x205 wheels with drum covers over 4x130 rotors? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I doubt the drum covers will clear the calipers 13" wheels wont abd they're bigger than the covers

I was thinking about this also. If using the adapters, the wheel mounting surface would be spaced off the face of the rotor another 3/8 of an inch. I’ll have to do some measuring. I doubt a 15 inch wheel has a 13 inch center, so a 13 inch one probably has less than 11. An actual Porsche drum has an 11 inch braking surface, so the outer diameter is bigger than that. If the step spun into the drum cover outside of the bolt pattern is what CB is referring to as clearing a 10 inch drum, the covers would probably be in the 11.5-12 inch range for outer diameter.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 replica 5x205 wheels with drum covers over 4x130 rotors? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
. . . did you have any clearance issues with the drum covers, and the calipers?

You might be okay for clearance around the caliper.
Read this part description . . . https://fibersteel.com/collections/brakes/products/we14-550-spyder-356-speedster-front-drum-skinz

Can ya re-drill the bolt-pattern on the rotors and tap the new holes to M14-2mm so that you can mount the adapter plate with the countersunk Allen bolts?

It's been a while since I saw the inside of my rotors . . . check to see if it would be possible to spot-face the inside of the rotor around the bolt holes so that nuts can be used on the Allen bolts.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 replica 5x205 wheels with drum covers over 4x130 rotors? Reply with quote

I took a closer look at things today. What I must have missed from the post where I found the pic was that the rotor face is not past the caliper body. I would need about a 1/2 inch spacer to simply mount the adapter to keep it from hitting the caliper.

For anyone else’s FYI. A stock 4 bolt wheel has a center with an overall diameter of around 12.5 inches. The outer edge of a standard Ghia caliper is about 6 inches out from the center.

This is for a customer’s car getting a repaint, and the owner is anxiously awaiting its completion with the odd ball 75 degree day we had Sunday, so I think the wheel upgrade is going to wait till next Fall. It’s starting to look like the better/safer way of doing things would be to revert to a drum spindle/dropped spindle, and get a wide 5 disc kit. Thanks for everyone’s input. Now I need to see if the drum covers clear the common 5 bolt disc setups.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: