Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Began building a new front bumper for the van today.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

*edited to add more photos

Last edited by captmatthew1 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

I love this thread, love the van and all you've done to it. Pretty neat!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

This is an amazing story and you really deliver with pictures, thank you!
The family picture of you all is one of the best things I've seen lately, you are in the Vanagon sweet spot for sure,

I was recently pondering the bumper choices we have and that none of them quite do it for me. Yours work well. I think with some work on the lower outside corners to work with the rocker lines people would want one.
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Is that the original paint cleaned up?
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the kind words. The lower outside corners of the bumper do strike me as slightly odd looking, but shaping metal and welding is not something I am proficient in yet. I am in no way a professional, just a guy with an imagination that's not afraid to build what I can't afford.
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

whafalia wrote:
Is that the original paint cleaned up?

That is original paint! It definitely has its flaws, but buffs out nicely!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

captmatthew1 wrote:

...just a guy with an imagination that's not afraid to build what I can't afford.

Brilliant.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

After returning home from town today, I found the exhaust system had broken at the muffler flange. Taking a break from the front bumper, I set off on fixing the damage.

Luckily, I had this muffler sitting in the shop that was sourced from a baja bug.

I cut the exhaust piping to fit, and mocked up the new muffler.

The muffler strap, and its bracket had rusted badly. They fell apart while dismantling the exhaust.

I cut the rusted strap, salvaging the ends that were still in good shape. Then cut a new section out of stainless, and riveted the ends to it.

To be continued.
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Muffler strap and bracket completed.

captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Muffler replaced. Unfortunately, I ran out of Argon while building the bumper, so flux core wire had to be used instead. Functional.

whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Great work! is your gas welder 110 or 220?
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

whafalia wrote:
Great work! is your gas welder 110 or 220?

It is 110. I am using a Lincoln Power Mig 140c. It has been a great little welder. I was able to score the welder, cart, argon, and multiple spools of wire on a trade that costed me about $125!
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

A few months ago I acquired this Audi A6 Avant for next to nothing. I began to build a camping support vehicle. The project stalled and it has been sitting to the side.

Curious, I pulled the front brakes to compare the A6 calipers to the factory Vanagon calipers. Very close to the same bolt spacing.

I suspect I will be exploring brake upgrade options in the near future.
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Inspiring! Thanks Captain!
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

I spent some time this afternoon customizing this pillar pod to fit. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

I was looking through pictures this morning comparing 2014 to 2020.

captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

After spending some time this afternoon, I was able to get the bumper to sit much more square. I had not realized that the front bumper support was not a flat mounting point, resulting in the sides of the bumper sitting at an angle.

captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Shifting from the bumper project to start yet another project, I have spent the last couple of days designing and building an overhead console/shelf above the windshield. Forgot to take pictures along the way, but here it is in it's current state.

I still have a lot of work to do. Finish mounting shelf, mount sun shades, wire 12v for aux power and CB, and add map lights. I plan to add a switch panel later on. I will also be adding a rubber or foam bumper strip to the front edge of the shelf.
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Through the course of this time spent at home, I have decided to start a youtube channel based around my Vanagon, "Karmann Vandiego". I figured I would share the link here in my own thread, so people that are interested in my Vanagon ownership journey can tune in.

I have posted a few videos already, each one a little better made than the last. I am not proficient with shooting or editing film yet, so please don't offer too much criticism...I know the audio is 'meh' at times...I need to invest in a better mic.

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: