Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV joint cackle and axle length
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: CV joint cackle and axle length Reply with quote

A little backstory so I can get your informed input.

I put a Subaru engine and tranny in my Thing which I thought would require different length axles than stock. The required length was checked using the guide that Pacific Customs has on their site. They measured out to be 16-5/8" which only 3/8" longer than stock. One of the guys at Pacific Customs, who also has a Thing, says that as long as the axles still float and don't bind at full droop the stockers should work fine. I've been hearing that tell-tale CV cackle since I put the tranny in. It sounds like it's coming from the right so I took that axle off can cleaned the CV's. One is an original VW and the other is GKN. After disassembly and cleaning both seem to be in good shape.

Not sure if axle length, mix-n-match CV's or something else is causing the worn out cackle sound from the rear. The engine is pretty loud so I can't be absolutely certain the noise is from the right.

Anybody have any thoughts?
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: CV joint cackle and axle length Reply with quote

If your axle length is a little short, Pacific Customs also sells these "Grease-N-Go" spacers. I run them on my car with no issues, plus it makes adding a little grease through the Zerk fittings an easy job.
https://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Sc...ve-flanges
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: CV joint cackle and axle length Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:
If your axle length is a little short, Pacific Customs also sells these "Grease-N-Go" spacers. I run them on my car with no issues, plus it makes adding a little grease through the Zerk fittings an easy job.
https://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Sc...ve-flanges

The guy I talked to there suggested that too. Problem is, I'm only 3/8" short and those are 7/16" just for one. I cleaned and repacked the right CV's. Had a chance to drive it again tonight and didn't hear much noise. I think it got quieter but its hard to tell because the exhaust is pretty loud.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: