Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cylinder leak?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Cylinder leak? Reply with quote

I wasn't planning on taking off my cylinders, but this looks like an oil leak, right?

Likely causes & solutions graciously accepted.

Thanks!
Robert

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder leak? Reply with quote

yep.

Could be caused by using only original stock paper gaskets if yours used it or lack of sealing compound around the cylinder base and gaskets or all of that could be in place and it simply failed because of age, vibration...or excessive case pressure. Check your PCV valve and case venting.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder leak? Reply with quote

Its a pretty common leak, in general its a run it as is until something else gives out kind of problem.

If you have the engine out and want to go at it, don't let us stop you though. Yes the replacement style all metal cylinder base gaskets need a sealant, I have gone to using a judicious amount of High Temperature Copper Silicone and am sure others have their favorite goop to use here. Expect to spend a wad of money as you open things up further as other defects will show themselves. At a minimum I would have the valve guides checked/replaced and have the exhaust valves replaced. Since you would also be pulling the cylinders off the pistons new rings might be called for.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder leak? Reply with quote

BusBerd wrote:
I wasn't planning on taking off my cylinders, but this looks like an oil leak, right?

Likely causes & solutions graciously accepted.

Thanks!
Robert

[/img]

as others have said - don't go there unless you are ready to rebuild the whole engine cause that is where it is headed. The only other thing you could consider is re torquing the heads.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder leak? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
The only other thing you could consider is re torquing the heads.

Since the engine appears to be out at the moment, I would consider removing the rocker/upper tin and doing that. Clean and lubricated threads, always.

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder leak? Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Yes the engine is out (transmission too), but I don't know that I want to get into that much work right now by taking off the heads. I am a little hazy on the stuff past taking off the heads. I've done it before, but I don't do it every day, and I would need lots of research and refresher time to make sure I am doing everything correctly.

My original intent in taking the engine and transmission out was to just clean everything up, fix a few minor things, and inspect before I put everything back in the bus. I have not been losing that much oil, so I may kick this can down the road and fix this cylinder leak on a different day.

We are planning a road trip from Mpls to Teddy Roosevelt National Park in ND this summer (if COVID is safe by then.) So, I wanted to take the engine out before then and give it a once over. It is about 1,000 miles roundtrip.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: