Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Craigslist 1970 bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

A week of covid lock down led to a week spent cleaning an waxing from top to bottom. I've now ran out of anything to do, and driving it is sketchy with the cop enforced lock down. It's predicted to last another month too. Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Been sitting on this for a while now, a Greek import 73 truck in need of plenty of welding, maybe a good time to start rust repairs. Hope to keep the paint as is.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Looks good! I also have been searching for a SC, to free up my work truck. I am (was going to before COVID) hiring another employee and need to supply a truck full of tools. Was going to semi retire and do only light work. So all I need is a single cab with a double treasure chest. So jealous!

Have fun!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Thanks Jimbo I always had a hankering for one myself, this turned up last year and I grabbed it for a future project. Came with plenty of rust but has lots of character and I like the colour. It had a running 2l motor and 6 rib box which I managed to sell to recoup some money which will all be spent on metal and plenty more too.

Good luck in your hunt for one, late models seem scarce over there but early ones not so much.
offtherailz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Not another project Baz Very Happy Very jealous. Been looking at a Bay of some description myself, and I can't blame covid boredom, I'm still working Laughing

Loving the Gas Burners, been looking at something for one of my bugs. Originals? I gave away Shocked some original BRM's back in the 90's, boy do I wish I still had them Laughing

Can I pick your brains? I know your using another pan, but how and where did you route your fuel lines? And if you remember what products did you us?

Phil
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Howya Phil, the burners are og and unpolished for at least 12 years so have a nice dull look which is how I like my mag wheels. Damn shame you sold the brms you could swap them today for a nice bay 😂

I've a 1971 westy tin top possibly for sale, stock with new curtains and covers in the rear, new 1776 motor with around 500 miles on it.

I've stainless 3/8 hard lines through the tunnel, exiting with bulkhead adapters on the frame head up front and beside the gearbox nose cone at the rear. I removed the bottom plate from chassis to do it right, welded pipe blocks to the inside of tunnel to hold everything in place.
Bit of work involved but nothing too heavy, you do need a good bender and flare tool for the ss tube though.
offtherailz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

I would love a Bay, but sadly with the way the world is at the mo we've been hit in the pocket. But we have our health so can't complain. I'll get one, one day I hope!

Thanks for the info on firstly the burners. I do like them and as I have black billet running boards with polished ribs and some rare rear engine lid louvres, I think the polished ribs on the burners would suit it. But I really hanker for some Fuch's. Currently bidding on a set of 16's so we'll see. If not burners or turtlebacks would be next. We'll see.

Secondly thanks for the fuel line info. I had a feeling you was go to say it was through the spine, but not in a good way. It was more along the lines of when a dentist tells you you need a tooth pulled Very Happy When or if I do the efi it'll be in the 03 I customise, stripped out basically with no heat. I plan on removing the tubes from the channels and running the loom down one side and the fuel lines the other. Initially my thoughts were regarding a fire risk in an accident, but as my brother in law, who is a mechanic, said, both my Audi's have their fuel lines running down the sills and I drive them daily. He said run some nylon, like on the T25's. I'm ages away from doing this in reality on the engine side, but the body will be off at the end of the year so I guess I need to give it some thought!
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

My cars twin for sale, I'd love to buy it and have two Laughing

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2377873
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Ooops

First time it's left me stranded, hopefully just an oilcooler seal
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

That don’t look good.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

You think Jim? I was hoping it's just a seal, possibly cooler or rear main, gonna tear into it this morning. Deffo nothing mechanical there were no noises and it still started and ran until I turned it off.

It was due an oil change, was gonna give it one yesterday morning, sure glad I didn't now. 😁
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Looks like it may be oil cooler seals, but could be a leaking o/p switch. Hope it is a simple fix!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

All credit to magnetic sump plates like (Roy Keane reference)

Loose sump was cause of leak.
Guess the glue was keeping it together until a fairly hard launch yesterday to get an St fiesta off my tail Laughing

Last edited by challomoner on Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:30 am; edited 2 times in total
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

I've found one loose during previous services, never had 4 come right out. Guess loctite will fix it?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:
I've found one loose during previous services, never had 4 come right out. Guess loctite will fix it?

If you can get the threads clean enough. It might work.
Who's sump is that? I haven't seen shoulder type fasteners on a sump before.

I have heard a couple of the performance guys say they just seal the sump to the bottom of the engine with no gasket. But again, you'd need to get the contact surfaces clean and oil free.

Good luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
baz76 wrote:

If you can get the threads clean enough. It might work.
Who's sump is that? I haven't seen shoulder type fasteners on a sump before.

I have heard a couple of the performance guys say they just seal the sump to the bottom of the engine with no gasket. But again, you'd need to get the contact surfaces clean and oil free.

Good luck.

It's a Berg sump. I have been using gasket with thin smear of black sealer, perhaps the gasket is the problem.

Thinking about this more today and it could have been catastrophic had all 6 nuts came out before the sealer gave way. I need to fix it properly.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Wow! Just tuning in. Looks like you need some threaded fasteners, into the case!

Looks like you dodged an account draining!

Easy fix! Just gotta get the pets.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
FredH17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:

As said, what a stunning survivor Bug this is. Lovely car Barry ! Would like to own something similar one day..
Absolutely digging those Gasburners !!

Question: What tire sizes are your running ?

Grtz
Fred
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Thanks Fred. Tires are toyo proxes 205/70/15 and 165/65/15
FredH17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Thanx !

Any chance that you've got an Instragram account where there are more
pics to see of this beauty ?
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

FredH17 wrote:
Thanx !

Any chance that you've got an Instragram account where there are more
pics to see of this beauty ?

Sorry no Instagram, there's a few pics in the gallery on here that aren't in the thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: