Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

The fuel level in the tank is normally at or above the level of the fuel pump.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

While the pump does have some siphoning capability, the majority of the flow action from the tank to pump is via gravity due to the column of fuel above the tank outlet that is higher than the pump inlet.

With the pump inlet line disconnected, lift the fuel can up until fuel starts to flow out of the line. As soon as fuel comes out, quickly install the line onto the pump. This will verify you don't have any blockages in the feed line and that you have fuel all the way to the pump. Once the line is connected, it should be fine to put the can atop the rear bumper, though you may want to keep it at or above the pump until you've cranked the starter and verified the pump is delivering fuel.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I just replied to your PM.

I eventually saw, if the internet any slower think snail mail be faster... Laughing

wcfvw69 wrote:
Not to make your head hurt but, the fuel pumps can be tricky in rebuilding them. Specifically the inlet/outlet valves. There are several things that need to be checked closely for a successful rebuild.

Fine, make my head hurt, rather that then hurting from pulling out my hair. Razz Laughing

I don't recall that part of the instructions or the kit. Did clean well the valves as best could.

See these checks is why reached out to you, appreciate you sharing they exist.

wcfvw69 wrote:
The other thing people don't realize is not every used Pierburg fuel pump can be rebuilt. About 1/4 of the fuel pumps I take apart to restore have to be scrapped for various reasons. I get a lot of fuel pumps sent to me to fix after the owner wasn't successful in getting it to work after rebuild. I find in many cases, the fuel pump was worn out or had corrosion issues, etc.

Hadn't crossed my mind, though does make sense as everything has a lifetime. Maybe if get the chance post in the rebuild thread(s) what means a pump is no longer viable rebuild candidate?

wcfvw69 wrote:
Which rebuild kit did you install?

Dad purchased two Wolfsburg West kits in about 2002 or 2003, absolute rubbish and the company refused to correct. So, bought filters and cork top seals off the Classifieds, plus the current Wolfsburg West diaphragm.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
The fuel level in the tank is normally at or above the level of the fuel pump.

While the pump does have some siphoning capability, the majority of the flow action from the tank to pump is via gravity due to the column of fuel above the tank outlet that is higher than the pump inlet.

With the pump inlet line disconnected, lift the fuel can up until fuel starts to flow out of the line. As soon as fuel comes out, quickly install the line onto the pump. This will verify you don't have any blockages in the feed line and that you have fuel all the way to the pump. Once the line is connected, it should be fine to put the can atop the rear bumper, though you may want to keep it at or above the pump until you've cranked the starter and verified the pump is delivering fuel.

Fantastic! Very Happy

Yes, I am brain dead, remember looking at all the detail in that picture as a child.

Okay, will do tomorrow.

Probably should just install the stock tank instead of waiting on the tank sealer to arrive.

Idea

I love talking to y'all, helps me think. Why couldn't I use the fuel pump to drain the fuel tank? Instead of the hose going to the carburetor, run a hose into the can.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

I don't know why but I occasionally have had to hand prime fuel pumps when I replaced them. Unbolt pump and pump it with my finger to get things going.
I take the outlet fuel line off the pump so I can see some fuel shoot out.
Everything was fine after that.

It may have been one of the same issues other people said - fuel not flowing via gravity and so on so definitely try that stuff first.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I don't know why but I occasionally have had to hand prime fuel pumps when I replaced them. Unbolt pump and pump it with my finger to get things going.

It may have been one of the same issues other people said - fuel not flowing via gravity and so on so definitely try that stuff first.

Yes, tried putting the tank back in and even setting the tank on the hood so had more head.

Finger the pump and can hear it trying yet not coming. Hmmm... Plug in the guage, getting one bar of pressure, no vacuum, that doesn't jive. Confused Okay, back to basics, starting at the tank. Yes, fuel going to the tunnel hard line. Get a fuel injector and only takes a few drops. Give the tunnel hard line a blow, maybe a little. So between about October and November, the center fuel line has plugged. Weird, all can figure is we did have a high humid Winter.

Lessons learned: kerosene tastes awful and trust but verify. Just because something was free flowing doesn't mean still is.

Later when caloried will post about another one of Rich's major fuck ups and rip off of Dad.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Yes, tried putting the tank back in and even setting the tank on the hood so had more head.

Finger the pump and can hear it trying yet not coming. Hmmm... Plug in the guage, getting one bar of pressure, no vacuum, that doesn't jive. Confused Okay, back to basics, starting at the tank. Yes, fuel going to the tunnel hard line. Get a fuel injector and only takes a few drops. Give the tunnel hard line a blow, maybe a little. So between about October and November, the center fuel line has plugged. Weird, all can figure is we did have a high humid Winter.

Lessons learned: kerosene tastes awful and trust but verify. Just because something was free flowing doesn't mean still is.

Later when caloried will post about another one of Rich's major fuck ups and rip off of Dad.

I didn't hear from you today. I can look at it in the am if you want to drop it off. Let's get it fixed.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
EverettB wrote:

I didn't hear from you today. I can look at it in the am if you want to drop it off. Let's get it fixed.

Stupid me thought could check a couple things so wasn't wasting your time. Yes, tomorrow, should be okay getting a RideChoice since just one other person in the vehical and seeing no one else (I been staying home as on an immune system suppressant).

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Apparently forgot to post last night...

Georg S. made time for me and over emails back and forth we made some progress. Turns out the soft fuel line in the rear was slightly too large and putting in new line, then held vacuum (-10psi).

Checked this morning and had not gone down. However, still not getting enough pressure from the pump so took it over to Bill. Also took him a '64 pump which I was going to rebuild so maybe a backup. Just another reminder how Ruby is a group project which really helps my fight with depression and remind me there are still a lot of amazingly kind and generous folks still out there.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

The dance of one step forward and two back continues... However, in any dance, at some point goes forward again.

After about two hours and a pulled muscles in the back, pedal assembly back in, though clutch cable came up short. Was an hour past supper and was already having trouble thinking, so called it before made things worse. Checked the part number on the order using another site and comes up correct. In the morning will pull the pedal cluster for the second time and see if something not sitting happy or if need a different cable. As I see it now, this is fine as the time to receive a cable allows a chance to slow down, rest, double check, and get the windshield installed. Maybe even get the California registration sticker Brother is certain has (Dad loved her so much kept her registration current though didn't put the stickers on) which then allow me more time to get registration.

On the even more positive side, thanks to Bill's generosity, not only have fuel in the filter after a couple bursts of the starter, though looks fantastic. Didn't want to make a mess or have flammables to clean up, so held off until the pedal cluster in (which did next) so had throttle control. To me, this shows how blessed we are to be in this amazing community. Now sitting here, hit me that can now move her into the back.

Almost forgot to say, between installing the fuel pump and the pedal cluster fiasco, adjusted the valves, took less than ten minutes (only need to turn the engine once). Only number three was ever so slightly loose and of course was corrected. Realized why been avoiding because of the emotion attached, watching Dad adjust the valves was about the only one on one time with him.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: More philosophy. :P Reply with quote

IMHO, things happen for a reason.

Messing with the clutch cable, find brake fluid on the subframe horn, somehow one of the fittings had come slightly loose. So if the clutch cable had gone in right, most likely have missed the leak.

More important, realized pushing myself hard because pain in the arse younger Brother bitching how not moving fast enough and spending too much money. Instead, need to recognize the progress made, step back, and check my work. At least for next two three days, just do one or two tasks.

Today, it was getting the clutch cable sorted and pedal cluster in, which is done except torquing the bolts to specification.

bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

do you add a lil grease to threads before torque ? I think its good in multiple ways . prevents from seizing in the future . but I think it gives you a more accurate reading on torque wrench . just something to think about for future reference .
bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

probably comes into play more when securing heads to engine block or something important like that ? but you get what im saying
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Clutch cable in, what a fight that was.

bad91teg wrote:
do you add a lil grease to threads before torque ? I think its good in multiple ways . prevents from seizing in the future . but I think it gives you a more accurate reading on torque wrench . just something to think about for future reference .

bad91teg wrote:
probably comes into play more when securing heads to engine block or something important like that ? but you get what im saying

I have gone through almost two tubes of copper grease. Wink Laughing Learned from Dad, been so easy taking apart things he greased, way easier than not. So, I am doing the same.

Have a torque chart rather than washing my hands and looking for the Volkswagen value, wish knew where my Without Guesswork is. On there I am using a little stiffer than the lubricated specification just to be safe.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Last evening, when putting in the pedal, bumped something and the clutch cable came off. Well, I went obsessive compulsive and after three hours the the cable was on. However, had to remove the master cylinder and the hard lines, then when putting back the hard lines, the center hard line end snapped off... Oh well, didn't like how it was interfacing with the pedal cluster.

The amusing thing was when remembered had a clutch tube seal to install because was missing, put it on, and then the clutch cable installation went just fine, almost like Ruby being a pain as wanted the seal. Razz Laughing

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Think been good stepping back and breathing, feeling better and sleeping better (mostly because not worrying).

Instead, been getting the concrete pad down for Ruby, decided to do the whole of the shed as knew later regret. Not easy doing one wheelbarrow at a time with a rake and shovel, however, good exercise. Razz Got my technique figured out for the conditions I am working with (using on site sand and clay mix) and the result I am looking for (just a hard, smooth, and clean surface, doesn't have to be level or look nice). Three days in the Sun, about six to eight hours a day and sunbathing while at it (first two days were oppressively humid and only jeans are black), being careful not to get sunburnt. Thankfully I have some of Opa's Western Slavic (Pomeranian) skin that doesn't burn easy and tans. Took a picture of the progress this evening, after dinner go to upload, and has vanished... So for those needing a picture, here. Razz

Did try and put up the trusses this late afternoon, first went fine, second was going, then the first fell over onto me, pulled my back and bend my thumb backwards over into my arm. The trusses are not heavy, just awkward being just over 16 feet long, so got too confident, should have, and will wait until this virus situation passes.

And leave y'all with a couple fun pictures, pup wanted to help this morning, so carried the knife out and handed it to me when needed.

rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

That's great work for curing and prepping under the sun, but harsh on people! progress looks good, and those frames are a pain putting up solo, i tried it a few years back lol.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

rah253 wrote:
That's great work for curing and prepping under the sun, but harsh on people! progress looks good, and those frames are a pain putting up solo, i tried it a few years back lol.

Sun isn't too bad, grew up working outside helping keep up Opa and Oma's (raised by them), however, a straw hat be nice (wearing Dad's brand new vintage corduroy cap today forgetting the first two). Also, the concrete cracks quickly, so been keeping it damp and cardboard on it (as seen in the picture).

Glad not the only one trying to put them up solo! Not trying that again, be smart rather than end up in the ER or worse.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

This corner of the shoe is catching on the bar, can I round it off?

The shoes are adjusted all the way in, yet the shoes are right against the drum making it impossible to slide it on.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Friday, got the rear drums off, plus all the brake parts. Was going to put back the brake fluid reservoir, however, now having Master's Series Silver, couldn't leave the rust, can always touch up with red later.

And then while the can was open, might as well cover where in the past the brake fluid removed the paint.

And yes, was tired so my hand was shaking.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Since yet to get help on the brakes, moved to something not requiring a lot of brain power. Looking like this virus situation will last months, decided to see about mounting my own tires, have used machines in High School auto shop, however, not going to have that now. Looking online, showed using a trailer jack, however, mine was too light, so needed extra weight and then for a couple of tires needed whacks with a dead blow hammer.

Those two super dry and squished that had a hard time breaking the bead were also a major struggle to get off the rims. Afraid to cut in fear of cutting the rim. A lot of strength, taking my time, and some help to keep calm, got the five rims bare.

Trouble is, one is a Type 3 rim, so slightly different offset and takes the flat wheel cap. Reason is when Dad got the rims painted silver, the shop mixed them up. Now not finding any early rims and not decided if mount a tire to the Type 3 rim as a spare or just keep looking.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 50

Jump to: