Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

Another creation of mine since I can’t afford a Hazet kit... I used some early 40 horse valve covers to make a tool box.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The earlier covers have that cut out on the top edge so some hinge material will lay nicely in there. I cut the flange from one cover so sits inside the other.

I also machined some bungs to weld in so that the original bail clip can be used to hold it shut... also a carrying handle.

I was gonna make clips to secure tools and have it look all snazzy, but I ended up just bed liner spraying the inside. There’s room to hold most of what you would’ve to have in a small kit... I have accumulated so cool made in Germany hand tools to put in it, also a bag with ignition goodies and a length of fuel line.

I keep most of the tools wrapped in a few shop rags to keep things snug and you need a few rags for clean up any way.

Being kinda artsy fartsy and a maker, I’ve got quite a few VW innovations in the works... just time... I don’t have enough time to put them out for viewing.

I don’t know that I’ve seen anyone make one of these before... but it’s a big world.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

Applause Applause
MR.veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

Well that's cool !
1962 Beetle (Sold)
1968 Baja Bug (Sold)
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

Thanks... I really wanted to make tool holders to snap wrenches and stuff in place and a small trap door inside to secure bulbs, fuses and points/condenser. But I figured it would over complicate it and I’d have too much time wrapped in it.... maybe the next one will evolve a little further.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

I wanted to share another storage case idea, similar to the valve cover tool box.
I had a few 6v regulators that are roached so I decided to make a small case that could be used to keep some items in for your VW.

I just did a little trimming to the outer ring of one case so that it would fit inside the perimeter of the other. Cut a small notch to fit a length of piano hinge and apply a couple of tack welds.

I also JB welded a small/powerful magnet to the inner lip of one case which holds the case shut with a crisp sounding thump when closing. I used the JB to fill a radius and conceal the magnet around the perimeter of the case.

I cut the heads off a couple of screws and JB welded those in the center holes of each cover. Using bed liner spray to coat the inside for a finished look.

I liked the steel appearance for the outside, so I used a semi gloss clear to cover the outer.

Im using the case to keep a spare set of points/condenser, fuses generator brushes and some small hardware in... keep it in the glove box for peace of mind.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

This one Laughing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GistjuGlSCs
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:

Seems like you could put some foam in each half, then cut out slots for small items to fit without jostling around too much. Like a camera case or rifle case might have.

Neat idea.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
Yeah, man... I held on to that ole jack for a while until the idea hit me... I had accumulated two HF jacks, so I wanted make those fit underneath. If I were to remake it, I’d make the landing strips longer so the engine could sit further towards center... feel free to use this as inspiration to design your own.

Or find you something like this and do both - R/R engines or trans.

anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

That’s a nice jack....I used to work in a shop that had two old floor jacks that were probably from the 40s.... massive in size, lifting a beetle was a non issue with those beasts.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

Just finished this cart, Very happy with it. The engine cart pic on prior page gave me an idea. Had a mid 80;s green Craftsman jack that lost its hydraulics. Was tempted to rebuild it, but didn’t. So I cut it apart, welded 12” long pipe to widen it. I already had a 12” square angle iron frame that I cut one end out and used flat stock to mount it. 2 used trans mounts from the Samba. 1x4 red oak top, new hardware and paint, about $60. Trans Bell Housing comes off with 3 bolts, if you just need a stand on wheels, makes it a little more compact. Also bought a Automatic 12V rebuild factory starter, rebuilt in Mex, for AC Delco. Shipped to my house from Rock Auto for $63, including the core charge. 2 day delivery

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

wow a starting line launching device!!! Shocked Popcorn i made wood cradles to pull my engine and one to pull both engine and trans together with my harbinger of fright liftythingy. works great after I found that the manufacture had put 2 check balls in the release valve....and it always leeked down...till I took it appart and found those. as for the valve cpover tool box I love it!! just either line or coat the innards and your good to go..you could even put a divider in it with a hinge and add socket holders to that portion.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

Introducing the 10mm stubby socket.

Getting a wrench/socket on the rear nuts of a single port intake manifold has always been a bear. I don't know if there is an official VW wrench for this but I lost patience yesterday and chucked up a cheap socket in my lathe and made a shortened version that is just deep enough on the engine side to cover the nut and just deep enough on the wrench side to get full contact with a 1/4" drive.

It is still a very close fit on the #4 plug side but gets the job done.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Introducing the 10mm stubby socket.

Getting a wrench/socket on the rear nuts of a single port intake manifold has always been a bear. I don't know if there is an official VW wrench for this but I lost patience yesterday and chucked up a cheap socket in my lathe and made a shortened version that is just deep enough on the engine side to cover the nut and just deep enough on the wrench side to get full contact with a 1/4" drive.

It is still a very close fit on the #4 plug side but gets the job done.

Single port intake manifold 😀 people have always struggled with this. The best store bought wrench I’ve seen is this snap on with a short socket

Look at this flex extension

And taken to the extreme

I like single ports.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

Those are nice solutions too!
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Just finished this cart, Very happy with it. The engine cart pic on prior page gave me an idea. Had a mid 80;s green Craftsman jack that lost its hydraulics. Was tempted to rebuild it, but didn’t. So I cut it apart, welded 12” long pipe to widen it. I already had a 12” square angle iron frame that I cut one end out and used flat stock to mount it. 2 used trans mounts from the Samba. 1x4 red oak top, new hardware and paint, about $60. Trans Bell Housing comes off with 3 bolts, if you just need a stand on wheels, makes it a little more compact. Also bought a Automatic 12V rebuild factory starter, rebuilt in Mex, for AC Delco. Shipped to my house from Rock Auto for $63, including the core charge. 2 day delivery

Update: Added 3 brakes, a mount for the CB black box timing Controller, 1 Qt Gas Tank from a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower and mount, shut off valve, Aftermarket Ignition switch and wiring. Also, custom battery cables from:
https://www.batterycablesusa.com/battery-cables/

These guys are the bomb for cables, Mine were about $13

Just need a motor now 

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: