Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon subaru wiring question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwdefty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

I am trying to wire in an auxiliary water pump to help circulate coolant through the 1000 mile loop...I want to use the Subaru fan control circuit pin D17 to switch the pump on via a relay. An anyone tell me if that pin activated the fan by grounding the circuit?
Thanks for any help!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

What is happening that causes there to be a need for an aux water pump?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jwdefty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

Coolant doesn’t seem to be circulating to the radiator.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

The stock subaru pump is plenty to circulate the coolant.

Has it ever worked correctly?

The Western Syncro build
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

Is this a fresh install? First time trying to bleed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Heli-mech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

What year/make/model subaru ecu. On most that I have worked with you are correct … the Subaru ecu triggers a ground for the factory Subaru fan relay.
Heli-mech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

jwdefty wrote:

You certainly have an issue.

Do you have a rear heater core? Or are the lines looped for a bypass?

Suby swaps need a bypass loop in the heater core circuit to allow hot coolant a quicker efficient route back to the thermostat … opening the thermostat allowing coolant to flow to the main radiator.

If your heater core loop is too long, or the valves are closed then coolant won't be able to get back to the thermostat to allow it to open.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

jwdefty wrote:

Air in the cooling system.
The stock subaru water pump can keep the van running cool.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

There's absolutely no need for an additional pump: people have millions of miles on converted vans that run cool as.
In fact, it would likely hamper flow because of its single speed. The engine's own pump is variable speed to match the engine.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
jwdefty wrote:

Air in the cooling system.
The stock subaru water pump can keep the van running cool.

theyre a pain enough to bleed when installed in the original subaru... cant imagine theyd get any easier to bleed properly when installed in a van with all of its cooling system high/low spots and associated quirks.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

I've never had any issues bleeding air out of my Van. Start the van, turn all heater control to ludicrous speed, allow it to warm up, keep the rpms around 2500 and open the bleed screw on the radiator until coolant comes out. Do this a couple times. Let the van cool off, top of any coolant that you may need and repeat the process again. It's not that hard.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

Well the OP hasnt checked back in so its hard to say what their issue is. But for anyone else reading this and having issues bleeding your subi conversion, I found it helpful to manually squeeze all the rubber hoses going to and out of the engine to help the flow, while engine is running. In addition to the aforementioned tips
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
I found it helpful to manually squeeze all the rubber hoses going to and out of the engine to help the flow, while engine is running. In addition to the aforementioned tips

Yes, squeezing the hoses is part of my bleeding routine: Libby Bong, hose squeezing, rad bleeding while driving around the neighbourhood - done.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwdefty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

Sorry I havent checked in sooner. I have an 87 Vanagon with a 1990 ej22. I have the stock coolant manifold, not the reversed, and have looped the heater feed off the coolant manifold to go right back to the thermostat. I plumbed a rear heater feed from the coolant line exiting the motor which returns to the pressure tank and the front heater feed comes from the main coolant line feeding the radiator near the front...and feeds back to the main line after the radiator. This is a first build, I have filled and bled the system as best I could at least four times with the same results, the last time using pressure. It takes a while to get to temp but even when the motor is above 200 the heat is all in and around the engine, the coolant lines forward are cold. I did drills small hole in the thermostat as was mentioned in another thread, checked the thermostat in a pot on the stove twice I think, and just yesterday ordered a new radiator, I remembered my son had a hard time with his until he put a new radiator in it. I’m hoping that will do it!
Thanks for the replies,
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

Youll get it. My first time took a while to get it to circulate. Just follow the procedures and do go around and squeeze the hoses while its running to help get the flow going.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

Do you have a schematic of the coolant hose routing you are using?

The Western Syncro build
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

The thermostat doesn't need a hole drilled into it. They should however be OEM units though as aftermarket units are known to not work correctly while installed. There are lots of threads and videos online that show the issue, it is well documented.
Pressurizing the expansion tank through the cap has gotten my cooling system air lock free any time I drain the system very easily. A tire valve stem and a bike pump can easily be used to pressurize the system with a few lbs of pressure. GW is happy to sell you something similar if you prefer to just buy it.
Depending on what cooling design you used may need some additional work.
jwdefty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the help/support. I didn’t mention it is a Subaru thermostat. I did pressurize the system via the expansion tank but not convinced I got all the air out. If I do this right you should see a rough schematic of my cooling system...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There it is....took a while!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

Can I ask where you got this cooling configuration from? I haven't done a conversion in quite some time and am unfamiliar with a layout like yours, i even searched a bit for something similar.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon subaru wiring question Reply with quote

Ha. A new design. I think you should have flow through your looped heater hose to the thermostat. Can you feel any flow and does the hose heat up? Do you have the thermostat oriented with the jiggle pin towards the rear of the van or towards the front of the engine. I think the thermostat should open unless there is a lot of air in the system (both neater valves are open). Are you getting coolant out the rad bleeder? Did you get near 4 gal coolant in it? Was the rad working before the conversion? Was the Subaru running before conversion?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: