Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

We're 11 days into a total lockdown in New Zealand. I've decided to build a centre console for my Ghia from materials I have already. The hardware stores are regarded as non-essential and I can't make any purchases.

Step 1 is to make a template from cardboard.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The sides will be made of Texon board - reinforced inside with styrene foam and balsa wood, perhaps reinforced further with fibreglass.

The materials I have at hand are styrene foam, vinyl matching my seat covers, balsa wood, Texon board, heat resistant foam, carpet matching my car's carpets, seat insert matching my car's seat covers.

If TMI still offered a center console I would have bought it from them, but they now longer offer it on their website. What's the worst that can happen? I can make a mess of it. Been there and done that many times.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Looks good and can't wait to see the progress, as I plan on doing this to mine as well.

Question, don't you think the materials you are using are too light weight? Or do you think using the multiple layers of mixed material will be strong enough, just wondering.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
... Question, don't you think the materials you are using are too light weight? Or do you think using the multiple layers of mixed material will be strong enough, just wondering.
Jeff

I've been wondering about that myself Jeff, but this is all I have (materials). If we come out of lockdown soon enough (we have just over a 1000 cases and only 1 death so far) I may get some marine plywood for the sides. I'll see how it goes: What I do now may be no more than a prototype.

Chris M
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Gotcha. Still look forward to following your progress. Here the home centers are considered essential, I guess because people are stuck at home and need to make repairs and work on their gardens, though they have now reduced hours, so materials still available. I'm looking at using some pieces of an old desk that are already cut at an angle, but like you, want to make a template to match the curves.
Watching....
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Looks like a good project Chris. (A lot more pleasant than stripping the underseal off a camper anyway)!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Great idea. Indeed, what’s the worst....
I must admit, the one novelty I sort of secretly like about this lockdown is the ingenuity and make do and mend approach many of us are forced into with most of our favourite shops shut.
I have some 4mm ply...

I’m watching.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Good idea. Today I will be constructing a rear decklid spoiler out of a couple of Amazon boxes, a stapler and and a spare spray can of orange gloss paint. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Good idea. Today I will be constructing a rear decklid spoiler out of a couple of Amazon boxes, a stapler and and a spare spray can of orange gloss paint. Very Happy

I'm sure you could use an old fishing reel and some line to make that spoiler pop up and adjust for the right speed Laughing Rolling Eyes
Nicholas
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Another question Chris I forgot to ask, I see you are running the consul to the front wall, realizing you have a RHD Ghia, but on the drivers side do you plan on having a cut out at the foot/pedal area, or solid to the front wall? I guess I should wait for pics on the drivers side. Looking to see what you come up with. Thanks,
Jeff

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Another question Chris I forgot to ask, I see you are running the consul to the front wall, realizing you have a RHD Ghia, but on the drivers side do you plan on having a cut out at the foot/pedal area, or solid to the front wall? I guess I should wait for pics on the drivers side. Looking to see what you come up with. Thanks,
Jeff

Hi Jeff, Yes, I have the clutch pedal next to the tunnel on my RHD and have already done a cut-out there. I have the same on the opposite side where there is a removable panel for inspections/adjustments inside the tunnel.

I'll post pics later. Still pitch dark here.

One of the questions I have to resolve is the width of the console at the top. My current set-up has it going over the fuse panel. Narrower and I might not be able to fit a sound system. But what the heck, I'm jut playing with ideas and prototypes are. No big deal.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Looks like a good project Chris. (A lot more pleasant than stripping the underseal off a camper anyway)!

Always good to hear from you, Phil. In a time of lockdown just about any task is a relief from boredom and worry. I'm washing windows, painting doors and doing all sort of maintenance jobs on my house my wife has been unable to persuade me to do previously while she's at work at a hospital (more worry).

I've even resurrected my thread on the Samba and started this project to keep busy.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
Good idea. Today I will be constructing a rear decklid spoiler out of a couple of Amazon boxes, a stapler and and a spare spray can of orange gloss paint. :D

I'm sure you could use an old fishing reel and some line to make that spoiler pop up and adjust for the right speed :lol: :roll:
Nicholas

I'm sure John is just yanking my chain, Nicholas, because I'm interfering with the interior design of my car. What he's really saying is: "You need a console as much as I need a deckled spoiler. "
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
sputnick60 wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

I'm sure you could use an old fishing reel and some line to make that spoiler pop up and adjust for the right speed Laughing Rolling Eyes
Nicholas

I'm sure John is just yanking my chain, Nicholas, because I'm interfering with the interior design of my car. What he's really saying is: "You need a console as much as I need a deckled spoiler. "

I couldn't possibly comment. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

So you're already doing some home improvements and repairs, eh?
Perfect!

If you need some heavier wood for your center console project, here's a thought ...
Explain to your wife that the latest kitchen trend is to have a couple open style cabinets (no door) so that her lovely dishes and glassware can be showcased.

Not only will you end up with a couple cabinet doors that should supply you with all of the wood necessary for your new center console, but your wife will actually Thank you for being so kind and considerate for updating her kitchen for her!

Wink

Of course, if you are concerned about keeping weight down to insure maximun performance and speed then the balsa wood would be a great way to go.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
... If you need some heavier wood for your center console project, here's a thought ...
Explain to your wife that the latest kitchen trend is to have a couple open style cabinets (no door) so that her lovely dishes and glassware can be showcased... Not only will you end up with a couple cabinet doors that should supply you with all of the wood necessary for your new center console, but your wife will actually Thank you for being so kind and considerate for updating her kitchen for her! :wink:

Did my wife put you up to suggest this? She's been asking for new kitchen cabinet doors for some time now.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:
... If you need some heavier wood for your center console project, here's a thought ...
Explain to your wife that the latest kitchen trend is to have a couple open style cabinets (no door) so that her lovely dishes and glassware can be showcased... Not only will you end up with a couple cabinet doors that should supply you with all of the wood necessary for your new center console, but your wife will actually Thank you for being so kind and considerate for updating her kitchen for her! Wink

Did my wife put you up to suggest this? She's been asking for new kitchen cabinet doors for some time now.

Laughing Just goes to prove that you really can't write stuff like that, and truth is stranger than fiction.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I've cut out the sides of my proposed centre console from my Texon board. As a matter of interest, that board is available in the US in different thicknesses and therefore differing torsional strengths. Good material to work with - and I've made a boot liner from it for the front luggage compartment of my Ghia. (As well as a set of door cards for a friend.)

The top template is for the left on my RHD Ghia and the lower one for the driver's side. There is a small, squarish cut-out where I've prepared a flap to accommodate the fuse box.

Here's an example of a centre console borrowed from the Samba archives. Having seen that, I may adapt my prototype a little.

Different strokes for different folks. My initial plan is simply to prepare the "box" without allowing for gauges and radio and such. I would love to have a full set of gauges from Tim Tracy.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I remember only 3 things from 1st Grade. My dog followed me to school one day and I was called to the principal's office. A boy walked in front of a swing and suffered a deep gash with lots of blood to the forehead. And I was most disappointed when the teacher gave me clay to experiment with while the kids in the next row were given a plastic spider to take apart and put together again. I just love puzzles and putting things together, hence this experiment.

Next step was to make a template for the front inner support of the console. From cardboard to polystyrene with a balsa wood support. (Don't worry, that cheap plastic tray will go, and not a moment too soon.

I was listening to R.E.M while working in the garage and it reminded me that good music might be appreciated, even in a noisy Ghia.

That's enough play for today. Front part of the console tomorrow.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

After a lot of fitting, refitting and changing plans I have settled, more or less, on the shape of the sides.

It's very quiet here in NZ, with, so it appears, the Covid-19 virus in retreat. Only 29 new cases yesterday, and still only 1 death out of 1300 cases.
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

really nice ghia! great look for sure, I love the RHD too. New Zealand is a favorite spot of mine, I was hoping to see more vw's at the museum in Invercargill..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Page 86 of 90

Jump to: