Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weber carbs and fitting...
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Weber carbs and fitting... Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

As i am building my car (different thread), i ran into an issue with carbs. As a quick recap, i am putting together a 1776cc dual port, purchased last week as my 1600cc was going to require extensive rebuilt, and i have purchase an intake for it with a Weber 32 36 DFAV on it. Unfortunately, the carb needs a full rebuilt. I also have a Weber 44 DCNF that is in great shape. I heard that the 44 is a great carburetor for the dual port engine but, as you can see on the pics and probably already know (i didn't!), it does not fit on the intake manifold from the progressive carb.

Questions:

Is there an intake out there to fit the 44 Weber on my dual port?
Is it really worth it and better then the progressive?
Or should i go with the 32 36 DFAV progressive and get it rebuilt?

Also, as this engine is new to me and almost put back together (once the carb situation is sorted out), how do i make sure i am in top dead center prior to firing? this is my first aircooled so lots of questions and wanting to make sure i don't mess it up!

Thanks for your time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber carbs and fitting... Reply with quote

I would suggest you sell both of them and buy a set of 36 Dellortos.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber carbs and fitting... Reply with quote

If you’re wanting to run a single 44IDF carb, I have the proper manifold for it. PM me for pics and price The IDF will create more horsepower compared to a DGV 32/36.

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber carbs and fitting... Reply with quote

I had the Weber progressive on a 1776cc did not like it either. Ended up going to dual kadron, ran so much better. Used that engine for some time till the right carb back fired and caught fire in the carb.
Now strictly a stock engine guy for the most part.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber carbs and fitting... Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
I would suggest you sell both of them and buy a set of 36 Dellortos.

I will look into it in more detail, thank you for the suggestion. From what i see right now, they are pricey. They must be worst it!
rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber carbs and fitting... Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
If you’re wanting to run a single 44IDF carb, I have the proper manifold for it. PM me for pics and price The IDF will create more horsepower compared to a DGV 32/36.

Thank you. I did hear that the 44 DCNF is great for center mounted set up on the 1776, but honestly it's hard to find much info on it, a lot of hear say type info.

PM'ed
rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber carbs and fitting... Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
I had the Weber progressive on a 1776cc did not like it either. Ended up going to dual kadron, ran so much better. Used that engine for some time till the right carb back fired and caught fire in the carb.
Now strictly a stock engine guy for the most part.

Good info on the progressive, thanks for that. It's always a mix baskets of opinion that i get on the 32 36 progressive, even locally lol. The dual set up sounds nice and interesting but again another expense even if i sell what i currently have. I know i'm going to occur another cost no matter what route i take on this one but the dual scares me a little as far as tuning and other aspects (fire in your case!) with this being my first aircooled project.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Weber carbs and fitting... Reply with quote

40 Dellortos would be fine too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: