Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 w/Freeway Flyer - 1835cc OPINIONS
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iadubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: 1960 w/Freeway Flyer - 1835cc OPINIONS Reply with quote

So I bought a 1960 Beetle this past winter. I was unable to drive the car due to weather. I took it up and down the driveway and street. Seemed to run/drive ok. I went back and grabbed it the next weekend.

Fast forward to now. Finally able to drive it around town. This is my second Beetle. The other was a stock 1600cc 1970 Bug with a stock trans.

Here's my issues having never owned a Freeway Flyer before. In 1st gear there is NO power whatsoever. To take off in 1st I really have to rev the shit out of it just to get up and go. It IS under carbed for an 1835. It's running a 34 PICT 3 and Bosch 009. Now I've also never ran an 009 but have read about the "Flat Spot". It seems like the car doesn't wake up until past 2500 RPMs. It's timed to 28-30 degrees at 3,000RPM. I don't recall what the timing fell back to at idle, but from what I've read it doesn't matter as much on the 009.

I guess my question is about the lack of low end power. Is it a trade off of the transmission? Is it a combination of the distributor and carb setup? Or is it a bad combination of all of them? I wanted to try going with a vacuum advance distributor first, but in these times funds are tight and I don't just want to be throwing good money after bad on this car right now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 w/Freeway Flyer - 1835cc OPINIONS Reply with quote

A freeway flyer transmission doesn't use a different first gear ratio from stock, it's set up with a tall fourth gear for reduced revs when cruising at speed. It should have the same ratios in first through third as a stock transaxle. If it's been paired with the later 3.88 ring and pinion, that will make the overall gearing taller than what you're used to in your '70 which likely has a 4.125 R&P.

To me it sounds like whomever built the engine used too aggressive of a cam or the cam timing is retarded. Other possibilities are you need a bit more ignition timing (you might try 32° total or slightly more if the engine doesn't run hot or ping), the carburetor may be underjetted especially if it still has stock 1600 jets, the heads may have valves that are too large for your setup, or the compression ratio is low/too much deck height.
cdubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 w/Freeway Flyer - 1835cc OPINIONS Reply with quote

Pro tip.....

This seems to come up every Spring....

If you didn't use any Fuel Stabilizer, try draining your OLD gas out and refilling with Super...

This usually gets the engine running smooth again....

Also before you store your vehicle for the winter, add some Stabil Fuel Stabilizer..

*Edit*
I'd also run some dual Kads from Kaddy Shack, or at least upgrade the carb to a larger one.... you'll get some crazy gains that way... Although Duals are a pain to setup properly if you are not experienced...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 w/Freeway Flyer - 1835cc OPINIONS Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
A freeway flyer transmission doesn't use a different first gear ratio from stock, it's set up with a tall fourth gear for reduced revs when cruising at speed. It should have the same ratios in first through third as a stock transaxle.

I've had 1835cc DP engine in both my 1970 and later into my 1971, both had stock transmissions. And I felt they had plenty of low-gear power. And since back in 1976.

I don't know about how the stuff in your engine would do, but I'll share that I use stock dual port heads except for the bore-out, stock camshaft, vintage German 009 distributor, single Weber 40DCNF on its dedicated manifold, and single quiet power exhaust. Mostly I had 14" aftermarket wheels/tires, see wheel type below
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 w/Freeway Flyer - 1835cc OPINIONS Reply with quote

Cussr,
When are you going to put some wax on that yellow convt. Shocked
I'll bet it's a beautiful bug when all cleaned up for inspection. get'er done Wink

I don't mean a state insp. I meant a people insp. just admiring it as you drive by. '

Last edited by lboos on Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 w/Freeway Flyer - 1835cc OPINIONS Reply with quote

lboos wrote:
Cussr,
When are you going to put some wax on that yellow convt. Shocked
I'll bet it's a beautiful bug when all cleaned up for inspection. get'er done Wink

1. We DON'T have inspections here in Arizona !!! Nothing. But emissions testing back to 1967 year in Maricopa and Pima counties, none in the remainder.

2. I'm not that great at waxing, and don't want to change that 1978 Maaco paint job ($140, 1970 pastel white L90D color). Although I must admit that I actually thought about waxing this VW, and the 1988 Mazda truck while I have time with this "stay at home" stuff. No - my patina 1970 VW will not get waxed, and neither will my 1998 Frontier whose paint started peeling off (separating from the primer) a couple of years ago and the clercoat is peeling on the other side.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
iadubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 w/Freeway Flyer - 1835cc OPINIONS Reply with quote

After talking with a few people I'm leaning to just not enough carb. The accel pump is working but I think I need to figure out how to max that out right now and save up for a dual carb setup.
AZOffTheWall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 w/Freeway Flyer - 1835cc OPINIONS Reply with quote

It's under carbed, but you should be able to make it run pretty well with 34's especially in the lower rpm range. 3.88 box with stock 1st will still pull pretty well that's not your issue. Do a compression or leak down test to see what the condition of the motor is, may be worn out or have really low compression. Could also be way to big of a cam, really the only way to know would be to tear it down and see what you have, probably not what you want to hear
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 w/Freeway Flyer - 1835cc OPINIONS Reply with quote

Maybe do a search on the carb and check the size of the idle jet and main jet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: