Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HF Pittsburgh 6-ton recall part number 61197
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: HF Pittsburgh 6-ton recall part number 61197 Reply with quote

Bay owners with Heavy duty HF Pittsburgh 6 ton jack stands part number 61197 . Recall going. I mention it here in the Bay forum because usually Beetle, Thing, 411/412, and 914 etc owners don't have the large 6-ton jack stands like bus owners do. Almost 500,000 being recalled.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20E016-6561.PDF
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: HF Pittsburgh 6-ton recall part number 61197 Reply with quote

Does anyone have a picture of these jack stands?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ricache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: HF Pittsburgh 6-ton recall part number 61197 Reply with quote

I have the 3 tons. No issues and the teeth look fine.

Here are the 6 tons.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

YellowSplittie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: HF Pittsburgh 6-ton recall part number 61197 Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Does anyone have a picture of these jack stands?

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: HF Pittsburgh 6-ton recall part number 61197 Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Bay owners with Heavy duty HF Pittsburgh 6 ton jack stands part number 61197 . Recall going. I mention it here in the Bay forum because usually Beetle, Thing, 411/412, and 914 etc owners don't have the large 6-ton jack stands like bus owners do. Almost 500,000 being recalled.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20E016-6561.PDF

Uh...yeah...we do.
Dang...Have to check mine in the am. Have had no issues so far.

Thank for the PSA!
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: HF Pittsburgh 6-ton recall part number 61197 Reply with quote

The only Harbor Freight stuff with the PITTSBURGH brand that I have seen is complete junk. I'll never buy that brand again.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: HF Pittsburgh 6-ton recall part number 61197 Reply with quote

please don't turn this into a seller thread. It was simply to advise bus owners and others they are at serious risk if they have these units.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: HF Pittsburgh 6-ton recall part number 61197 Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
please don't turn this into a seller thread. It was simply to advise bus owners and others they are at serious risk if they have these units.

Please and thank you. There is a constructive thread about Harbor Freight here if you want to share wins/losses: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=512248

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: HF Pittsburgh 6-ton recall part number 61197 Reply with quote

Ricache wrote:
I have the 3 tons. No issues and the teeth look fine.

I don't know how long you've had those 3-tons, but I returned a pair of 3-tons to HF about a year and a half ago for the EXACT same reason - super shallow teeth on the posts, maybe an eighth inch deep, max. I could get them to slip with my own force, without ever putting the weight of a vehicle on them. The real aggravating pisser was that they looked nothing like the display units, different lot from a different time, way way major manufacturing drift or completely different tooling. I was so disgusted that I kicked down a hunnerd and fifty bux for a pair of 6-ton 'Murricuhn-made units from U.S. Jack.

In all honesty, the chyneese units at Auto Zone looked way better than HF's, and the price was comparable. But as I said, I decided to buy a pair of the last American-made jack stands in existence.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: HF Pittsburgh 6-ton recall part number 61197 Reply with quote

I happen to have 2 pairs of the HF 6 ton jack stands. Both bought within a few weeks of each other nearly 8-9 years ago. One pair (ending in 97) was affected by the recall and the other was not. So I thought I'd do a comparison of the 2.

At a quick glance they look identical, but there are differences indicating the are of probably different manf sources.

I compared the pawls and the ratcheting posts. The pawl on both looked pretty much the same. But, a different story on the posts. Here're a couple of pics. Good post is on the right. Note the deeper, cleaner teeth.

Here's a close up of the recalled post. Note the casting flash that reduces the depth on some teeth.

I've used these stands for 8-9 years now. I've moved these with me to India when we moved 6 years ago. So returning this pair is not an option. I will clean up the teeth. And make the other pair my primary ones.

Thought I'd post if anyone else was wondering why the recall. And, while I could not get my "bad" stand to collapse, I may not have tried it on its worst teeth. And, there may be stand out there with worse castings. So, do check.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: HF Pittsburgh 6-ton recall part number 61197 Reply with quote

Wong Dong province butter steel.

Don’t send them back. They’ll only get melted down and made into bendy high performance counter weighted crankshafts. Wotts of out of wound.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: HF Pittsburgh 6-ton recall part number 61197 Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Wong Dong province butter steel.

Don’t send them back. They’ll only get melted down and made into bendy high performance counter weighted crankshafts. Wotts of out of wound.

yes - the we can do it cheaper mentality is catching up with everyone. The sad thing is we have a whole two generations of children who grew up learning that cutting corners, and letting a machine think for you is the way to go. I sure hope we can get out of this mess that we have gotten ourselves into.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: