Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

porsche cup wheels don't fit
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MitchS046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: porsche cup wheels don't fit Reply with quote

hi there,

recently I upgraded my 1973 super beetle (1303) to disk brakes with porsche lug pattern. does anyone know how much of an spacer you need to run to be able to run original porsche cup 3 wheels (205/40/17 on 7J ET 52 front and 255/40/17 on 9J rear) I test fitted them both and can't seem to fit them with the 2cm spacer that I'm currently running. when I try to put them on they hit the strut. im still goin to lower it when I find out how I can adjust the adjustable struts that I have laying around.

thank in advance.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: porsche cup wheels don't fit Reply with quote

Well you are in it now...

Do the research, took me 6 months to find wheels that were Porsche Lug Pattern for the width plus performance side. Then did it all, lowering and what not for curvy road driving in the mountains....

I ended up with Porsche Boxster and was happy to have that. Proper ET for fitment with a Topline Kit Max Strut Kit.

Also, got a deal on them for no one wanted them for they were for a dated car..

No spacers needed... RB

p.s. Oh to ad, I looked at Honda and Toyota and what ever else you can think
up wheels.... Even all the VW's...

p.s.s. By the way, something that throws a wrench into it all is that the front
ends of the Super all differ in widths from outside disk to outside disk
through out the years, great news is it not!? Throwing a Standard
Norm of ET's off through out the years Super's were made...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: porsche cup wheels don't fit Reply with quote

You can't run those wheels with stock struts. The springs are too large in diameter. Not only do you need adjustable struts to go lower, they need to have small diameter springs on them. TopLine has that type of stuff. A wheel with an ET of 55 will fit the front without spacers if you have the right struts. You can also run a wheel with ET 55 on the rear, but you'll need a 3/8 inch spacer to clear the bolts on the spring plate.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: porsche cup wheels don't fit Reply with quote

What year car are you running Beetlenut? Seam to have an angle...

Photos for fun? RB
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: porsche cup wheels don't fit Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
What year car are you running Beetlenut? Seam to have an angle...

Photos for fun? RB
It's a 74

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: porsche cup wheels don't fit Reply with quote

I am running a 74 as well.. Nice looking...

I say knowing more info is the thing, I did not see were the OP said
what he was running for struts.... RB
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: porsche cup wheels don't fit Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
I am running a 74 as well.. Nice looking...

I say knowing more info is the thing, I did not see were the OP said
what he was running for struts.... RB

He has to be running the original springs. With a wheel of ET 52 plus a 2 cm spacer, that would be an effective ET of 72. That would normally be plenty of clearance for small diameter aftermarket springs.

A while back we were PMing about strut height and ride quality, and I could not get my front lowered enough, and the ride was harsh. My TopLine struts came with two bump stops on them. Turns out I was riding around on the bump stops the whole time! Ha! Once I took one of them off, and RAISED my struts back up one, I got the height I was looking for. I expect the springs will now settle a bit too. I reindexed the rear torsions last week to get the rear down a bit.

RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: porsche cup wheels don't fit Reply with quote

I am running Max Struts, nothing fancy but they are the small diameter springs..

Currently I forget what "Ring" I am on but the front is lowered some, with out bump stops...

I can stuff my front tires into the fenders and get a touch of tire rub in some serious switch backs. A fix for this is of course, Roling the Fenders... Thing is paint job is involved...

My plan is on the next set of tires are the next lowest down on width, Front and Rear Wheels are 16" dia.

I say for the OP is to call Topline, get with John and do it right and know were he is headed, even financially at this point... But see, were I got a little lost is there are three distributors of Super Lowering Kits world wide at my last count.. RB
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: porsche cup wheels don't fit Reply with quote

Yes we talked about that. You went to the yellow ones. I'm still with the red ones. You're 5 clicks up from the bottom as I recall. I also have the max struts. I ended up going from the 205/40/17 I had in the front, to a 205/45/17 to give me a little more cushion, and match the profile of the rear 225/45/17 tire. The OP should give Jon at TopLine a call and talk with him about what he wants. Even if he doesn't go that route, Jon will provide him a wealth of information to get him going in the right direction.

MitchS046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: porsche cup wheels don't fit Reply with quote

I would rather not buy new struts AGAIN als i just replaced the shocks and springs. Oh and also we don’t have topline in Europe☹️
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: porsche cup wheels don't fit Reply with quote

Here you go.. Speak to John here at Topline, he is a wizard when it comes to problem solving situations like this.. Hope you can figure out an economically viable solution... RB

https://toplineparts.com
Daddy o's 67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: porsche cup wheels don't fit Reply with quote

Or you could build some adjustable struts like I did.

Used 944 Strut housings, (super beetle housings would work too) cut them down and welded them together so they would fit a 79 Rabbit strut insert - approx 1 3/8" removed

Picked up some spring adjusters from local junkyard

Purchased 140lb springs, 12" long from Summit Racing

Adjustable Camber plate is a modified 944 piece from ebay or amazon

veltror
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: porsche cup wheels don't fit Reply with quote

I see you are in Europe, so use Kerscher, there is no getting around using narrower struts
https://www.kerscher-tuning.de/kaefer/index.php?gruppe1=Fahrwerksteile&gruppe2=Gewindefahrwerke

I run these with tx17 porsche cup wheels ET55 no spacers at the fromt 5mm spacer rear

Lrodri64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: porsche cup wheels don't fit Reply with quote

1973 front suspension is completely different from 74.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: