Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Disassembling bearings
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Disassembling bearings Reply with quote

Thoughts please on disassembling bearings to check for spalling, pitting etc.Normally I clean than spin them by hand and listen for rumbling and make a guestimate to either reuse or bin them. By pulling them apart you can have a good look , anybody else do this (diffcarrier bearing shown)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Disassembling bearings Reply with quote

Its not something I would do unless it was after bearing was replaced just to see IF IT REALLY WAS cause of some strange transaxle noise....

If you take it apart I seriously doubt you will ever get it back together and be reliable.....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Disassembling bearings Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
If you take it apart I seriously doubt you will ever get it back together and be reliable.....

There's nothing difficult about putting a bearing back together.
Every used bearing with a plastic cage like that I see, comes apart for inspection. Never seen it cause a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Disassembling bearings Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

Every used bearing with a plastic cage like that I see, comes apart for inspection. Never seen it cause a problem.

Please clue us in on your technique!

I thought sealed bearings were supposed to stay sealed.

I trust bad bearings to express it visually or by noise...
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Disassembling bearings Reply with quote

I don't see it as a bad thing, but I would probably also consider how that plastic feels when you put it back together.

I like IRS a lot more, main shaft bearings can have problems with the cages popping out so some like to flip the 002 mainshaft bearing over so the cage is trapped by the 4th gear thrust washer. Not something you have to worry about 90%+ of the time, just in high performance applications.

The diff bearings would be lucky in that they don't get that tendency.

I wouldn't consider these sealed bearings, they get the oil from the transaxle. The plastic cages do cover up the one side a lot though. I do prefer the metal caged bearings mianly for the metal cage, but they're also more open on both sides as well. Although Dangerous Dave made a good comment in a thread I read in the past that when these are spinning at 70 mph, plastic or steel caged that it's really spinning to fast for oil to get through. This is why people do side cover and diff mods to get oiling in aftermarket diffs.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Disassembling bearings Reply with quote

the plastic cage side bearings are easy to put back together. If you can take it apart, it can be put back together.

I will let people figure it out for themselves. a/nd no it does not include a hammer or chisel to do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Disassembling bearings Reply with quote

Agreed, if it comes apart easy then why not look it over inside?, if it checks out there's no reason not to put it back into service, it's probably better quality than any new one available now.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Disassembling bearings Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
the plastic cage side bearings are easy to put back together. If you can take it apart, it can be put back together.

I will let people figure it out for themselves. a/nd no it does not include a hammer or chisel to do it.

Yes ...BUT not all bearing are plastic caged....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Disassembling bearings Reply with quote

if the bearing is bad I trash it or use it for a tool ,or something else. if it's good I clean and reuse...sometimes. yes there are still good bearings being made. china has bought and installed a few Studer ( made in switzerland)machines in the past few years for making bearing races, shafts&such. china also has the same machine( made in china) that does about 1/4 the quality machining. most all aerospace uses Studer machines. studer is perfecting a edm lathe for faster lathe work.I know some people that work there and install & train the buyers operators. they are the most expensive machining machines built, along with being the best. and yes china still makes shit bearings. but much better shit than 15 years ago. Wink
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Disassembling bearings Reply with quote

The steel caged ones you don't want to take apart. There, we have covered them all. A brush and cleaner will do to have them squeaky clean.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Disassembling bearings Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

I thought sealed bearings were supposed to stay sealed.

There aren't any sealed bearings in a VW gearbox. In the photo above is a plastic cage, not a seal.

busdaddy wrote:
.... it's probably better quality than any new one available now.

IMO, a good used German bearing is better than a new China bearing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: