Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas prices where you are
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 198, 199, 200  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It follows crude , which is at $20

Buying oil futures right now is a sure thing if you have some cash to gamble with.

I know, that is why I asked. At some point, the actual cost of making fuel from crude will take over and either shorten supply (and raise prices) or the cost of crude will go so low it will almost be free.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

Its pretty much reached the bottom. At this point, refineries will close, and the supply chain gets weird. there is a premium for ships right now because oil is being pumped with no where to go.

The time is now to be buying for the Strategic Oil Reserve.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

The Strategic Petroleum Reserve was critical when we were getting most of our oil from foreign sources. Now that we have over developed our domestic resources, we have plenty in the ground here in the US with no market for it. As such, the SPR has no real use other than as corporate welfare for the domestic petroleum business. Unless, of course, we fill it with even cheaper foreign oil.

Fun fact, actual hard costs for a barrel of Crude from Saudi Arabia is rumored to be around $5. Domestic US producers say they can't make money with the price below $25 or $30. At $15 the Saudis can still make money, so they could run almost every other producer out of business if they wanted to. The main thing keeping them from pumping more at this point is, all the ships are full with nowhere to unload.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Just filled my 1970 Squareback for the first time in 44 years at a gas station, $1.54 I think for the cheap stuff

Any idea what that last fill up cost?, in 1976?

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

I just filled up 1/4 mile from home.......$1.209
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

It is kind of like N95 masks.

They do age and you have to rotate stock, but keeping oil around for these crises is not a bad idea, even when you don't think you need them now.

SRO capacity is about 1B barrels, and we use about 20M a day. Thats about 50 days reserve.

I would argue that six months supply would be a good number for pandemic - remembering that the average daily shoots up in winter for parts of the country.

You audit the companies and pay them cost plus reasonable profit on operations to fill that, in times like these. You can do the same for the Saudis and Iran.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

1.17 per gallon or 1.13 for e10 if you use Costco visa.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

Stanagon wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:
Just filled my 1970 Squareback for the first time in 44 years at a gas station, $1.54 I think for the cheap stuff

Gas was about 59 cents per gallon in 1976. I was driving a 74 VW bug and loving it. We used Ammoco white gas which clocked in at about 96 octane. You could bump timing up a few degrees and run higher compression. Good times Very Happy
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

I am hearing that OPEC has agreed to cut production by 10%, which is 10 million barrels a day. But, as I write this, a formal agreement hasn't been signed. It seems they don't really have a choice. There are full tanker ships sitting offshore with no place to unload.

The head of one domestic oil producer's trade group says US producers will have to cut 70% of jobs if the price of oil remains below $40 per barrel for much longer. It is likely domestic production will also have to be cut. They are predicting 50% of existing wells may need to be shut in.

Price of oil went down again today in spite of the OPEC pledge to cut production. Gasoline futures also went down today, so fuel prices at the pump may not have yet hit bottom.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Stanagon wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:

Gas was about 59 cents per gallon in 1976. I was driving a 74 VW bug and loving it. We used Ammoco white gas which clocked in at about 96 octane. You could bump timing up a few degrees and run higher compression. Good times Very Happy

It looks cheaper on paper but inflation adjusted it is as cheap as it ever was, today.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

1.89/gal for regular at my preferred local gas station today.

Most other places are over 2.10/gal, for now.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Stanagon wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:

It looks cheaper on paper but inflation adjusted it is as cheap as it ever was, today.

Yes I remember 1973 and just how pissed everyone was. As a small boy I remember gas below 25 cents. Think of that
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

We were having a local gas war early in 1971. I bought gas for my yellow sunroof '70 bug for $0.179. My gf lived 14.6 miles away, no matter 'cuz I worked at the Sunoco on weekends for $1.65 per hr!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

We got QT here too. They are gouging People at around 1.39 but Sams or Costco is 1.13 that’s quite a spread. About 2 weeks ago QT was pandering to the fearful selling toilet paper and hand sanitizer at inflated prices. They lost me as a customer.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

$2.09 at the Speedway on Rt. 28 in Orleans, Ma.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

Sam’s Club and Costco don’t count cause you gotta pay to shop there.
I’m with you on QT but I blame municipal government more. The QT near my house was $1.79. This QT was 15 miles away in another county and I was struck by the difference.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

You can see inflation adjusted gas prices at the epa site

It is at an all time low by a huge margin

https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles/fact-915-marc...-1929-2015

Remember there is a huge difference in taxes between states
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I’m with you on QT but I blame municipal government more. The QT near my house was $1.79. This QT was 15 miles away in another county and I was struck by the difference.

I’ve noticed that disparity as well, QT gas always higher is less affluent areas. The membership fee for Sam & Costco is always recouped in gasoline costs and using their cash back credit card. The difference in pricing should reveal just how bad they are screwing people. I realize it’s aimed at a certain demographic. QT can go to hell.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas prices where you are Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:

I disagree, I use the warehouse memberships to buy & save on other goods, that are significantly lower than grocery stores. I usually recoup my membership dues in a couple trips. The lower fuel prices are just a bonus, to me anyway.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 198, 199, 200  Next
Jump to:
Page 126 of 200

Jump to: