Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Aufgeladen Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Crocteau, what is RLR Ron Lumus Racing????
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Check out CIP1, much cheaper and pre-plumbed. I never seen one mounted in the cabin, always in the engine compartment.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Trying to eliminate oil blow by at the crank pulley. Have an oil stain ring on the deck lid, caused by oil slinging from the crank pulley. Installing a breather box may help this issue... Should it not?

No, it won't solve all of your issues. Since you are pressurizing the intake, you need to create vacuum on the crankcase by routing a breather hose to the inlet side of the carburetor. You will also need to get a sand seal for the crank pulley, but IDK if you can do that for the serpentine drive pulley.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. Jeff, not through the fire wall into the cabin, through the front tin (I called it firewall) to route the hoses to the head covers. I plan on mounting it either on the backside of the fan shroud, or against the firewall behind the shroud.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

No, it won't solve all of your issues. Since you are pressurizing the intake, you need to create vacuum on the crankcase by routing a breather hose to the inlet side of the carburetor. You will also need to get a sand seal for the crank pulley, but IDK if you can do that for the serpentine drive pulley.

I read about this today while I was researching my problem. Guys with high performance V8 engines add vacuum to the case to eliminate pressure. Do you recommend adding a T fitting where it comes off the oil filler and add a hose going to the intake/filter? I plan on using AN fittings for everything, I could make the hole bigger on the oil filler.

So how are you guys routing the breather hoses from the box to the head covers? Through the front tin?? Here is the box I got from the classifieds, not sure the brand name...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Are you still running a mechanical fuel pump? If not, there are threaded block off plates to use as a scavenging port.

https://www.appletreeauto.com/FUEL-PUMP-BLOCK-OFF-...bMQAvD_BwE

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

I'd have to remove the supercharger and modify the mount. That is where it mounts, where the old mechanical pump was. Running an electric pump now.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Have the breather box mounted. Hopefully I will be able to get the lid off. 🤔

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Finally gave her a bath... She was filthy.

Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

I think I said that some times before but I really like color in combination with those matt wheels Cool

I am excited of the first test drive! I hope there will be no major problems Smile
Ant B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

That is beautiful.
Love the colour.

Ant
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Turns out is wasn't the heat exchanger junction, it was the #2 exhaust port. Found remnants of a previous gasket, zoom into the port, you can see it in the photo. Cleaned it all up, sanded it smooth. I bought some Permatex Ultra Copper gasket maker and will be applying a thin layer around each gasket before tightening down everything.

Last edited by xzener on Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

doesn't look like it was the gasket failing. looks like there is a piece of a previous gasket still stuck on the head, not allowing the gasket to seal properly in the first place. the surface of the head should be very clean and smooth to get good gasket compression.
i think ultra-copper is not going to hold up well at the head-to-muffler junction.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Yep. Cleaned the head ports smooth. That piece of gasket was surely the cause. People swear by this stuff... It's a thin layer. We'll see if it holds up. This was more than likely giving me faulty readings on the AFR gauge too. Plan on starting from scratch with the carburetor adjustment. Giving it the recommended cure time of 24hrs before starting it up. Will keep you guys posted.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

I've had good results with these -

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2800.htm

... and these -

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Copper-Exhaust-Flang...askets.htm

bryan
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Thanks for the links Bryan. Will resort to those if needed.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Thanks for the links Bryan. Will resort to those if needed.

Now you just need to flange the heat exchangers/J-tubes & get rid of that hokey-ass, sure-to-leak crush washer/clamp deal.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Now you just need to flange the heat exchangers/J-tubes & get rid of that hokey-ass, sure-to-leak crush washer/clamp deal.

You are right... Planned for the next build.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Is it possible for a battery to have enough juice to turn-over the engine multiple times, but not have enough juice to fire spark plugs?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Is it possible for a battery to have enough juice to turn-over the engine multiple times, but not have enough juice to fire spark plugs?

Yes, If you have a high draw from the starter it could drop the available voltage low enough to not fire the plugs. Or there may be a high resistance in the power wire from the front to the coil.

Quick check it to put a volt meter on the coil (+) have someone crank it and watch the voltage.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 41 of 46

Jump to: