Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

torque wrench not enough for the job
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airoldspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

I have one torque wrench, but it only marks until 200 NM. I need to change the flywheel oil seal, for what I check it is not enough.
I can't afford a torque wrench with that high of a rating and either don’t have anyone that can borrow one.
It will be better to do the job right!? Or it can be torque to 200NM without any problem?
If not, there is anyway that I can use this 200NM torque wrench and be ok with that flywheel gland not?

(1300 F letter)
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

You need 294 NM to torque the gland nut sufficiently, so your torque wrench only gets you there about two thirds of the way. Either borrow a torque wrench with enough capacity or use a breaker & cheater bar along with some math.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

How about Chester with the big impact down at the truck stop? 😂
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

Another option is the "torque meister" tool which is a 9x torque multiplier. By applying ~30 ft-lbs. of torque to the tool, the glad nut is nicely and easily torqued to spec.
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Another option is the "torque meister" tool which is a 9x torque multiplier. By applying ~30 ft-lbs. of torque to the tool, the glad nut is nicely and easily torqued to spec.

I second this, I put off buying torque meister, but very much worth the price.

But I also bought this. figured for $40 I can use it to double check.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX4NIFK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

Free loaner torque wrench at O'Reilly goes to 250 ft lbs. I've borrowed it a few times.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
airoldspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone had used the "beam" type torque wrench, the one that have like a needle to point..? Can it be ok for the job?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

airoldspeed wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had used the "beam" type torque wrench, the one that have like a needle to point..? Can it be ok for the job?

Yes, a beam style torque wrench is perfectly fine to use here provided it goes up to at least 294 NM / 217 ft lbs.
airoldspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

Thank you!!

mukluk wrote:
airoldspeed wrote:

Yes, a beam style torque wrench is perfectly fine to use here provided it goes up to at least 294 NM / 217 ft lbs.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

For best accuracy your torque wrench should have a much higher capacity than 217. Ideally the wrench should have ~double the desired value. This is why a torque multiplier is a good value.

Whatever method you use be absolutely certain you get the nut properly tightened!
If the nut is not tight enough the flywheel can come loose causing major damage to the crankshaft and flywheel.
Replacement of these might be 10X more expensive than the correct tools will cost Wink

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

You don't need a torque wrench.
You know how much you weigh, torque is force times distance, make a cheater bar the right length.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

modok wrote:
You don't need a torque wrench.
You know how much you weigh, torque is force times distance, make a cheater bar the right length.

I'd still go with the loaner torque wrench.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

modok is correct, you can tighten the gland nut using a cheater bar to extend/increase your leverage on the nut. Knowing how much weight you are applying at what distance to the nut you can calculate the applied torque. You also need a way to lock the flywheel in place. You don't need to apply ALL of your weight, but if you apply less than all you will need to measure how much less. Here a accurate bathroom scale will tell you how much of your weight is NOT being supported by the cheater bar.

But there are added risks when placing extensions on tools and applying a VERY large torque at a larger distance. It is easy to loose control of the situation and get hurt. Make sure the socket over the gland nut is supported so it doesn't slip off the nut while tightening.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

Once you use the torque multiplier, you will never go back to long bars, slipping sockets, or tipping engines.

The first time I used mine, it freaked me out how easy and CONTROLLED getting the axle nuts and gland nut torqued to exactly what you want with a regular ol' 3/8 ratchet and two fingers.

Ever notice how every old axle nut is all damaged and rounded? That's from using a long bar and it slipping off.

Best VW tool I ever purchased.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

I very much agree that the Torquemeister or a variant thereof is the best tool for this job, but I figured since the OP stated they couldn't afford to buy the proper rated torque wrench here that it was quite unlikely they could afford to buy a torque multiplier tool either. So, suggestions as to go about things were based on what was likely they would come across versus the ideal, ie, make do with what you have. Wink
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

Large torque wrenches can be quite expensive. The tool is less than 100 with the 12v and 6v gears. If that's still outta reach, just go back to the old long bar and some math. Just find a way to support the engine well and bolt the socket on firmly.

But if the op can swing it the multiplier was the best money I've spent. Highly recommend if you own a VW IMHO.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

VW made a tool specifically for the axle and gland nuts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

That's why I suggested the FREE LOANER tool.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Based on the OP using metric units and their grammar being slightly odd, I'd say chances are good they don't live in the USA and likely don't have FLAPS with FREE LOANER programs. Wink
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: torque wrench not enough for the job Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Based on the OP using metric units and their grammar being slightly odd, I'd say chances are good they don't live in the USA and likely don't have FLAPS with FREE LOANER programs. Wink

Good observation. I notice guy did not fill in his location, year of VW, engine type.

But since he's a newbie and it's Easter, I won't yell at him.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: