Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 641, 642, 643 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Finally got this beast of a vent seal in. I must admit it was very satisfying although I am now working on designing a clamp to make it easier to install the other side because there must be a better way.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Cleaned some tin.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

volkswagen60 wrote:
Cleaned some tin.

Clean!
BTW, that's an early bay front tin.
You might want to get a split bus (same as bug) front tin. It doesn't have the extra piece on it and is actually easier to find. Someone wants that for their bay.

That's a bay/ late bug rear tin.
Do you have the rest of the engine tin?
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Took a 6 hour trip to Wellesley Mass. VW today & picked up my now 1600 long block, I'll be putting it back together & in the Singlecab tomorrow, got to use this time off to GET SHIT DONE !! Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Today. Yesterday. The day before. Feels like every bloody day since forever.

But it's nearly ready.

Just got to work out how to get it off the stand now Rolling Eyes

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

OMG it's beautiful and I need to do the same I am not an engine expert it's hard for me to tell what it is in style and configuration, is it dual port? The front looks single port then the side looks dual and I'm always learning and love to learn more. What size is it? 1600? Bigger? Keep up the great work Who.Me?. I love the paint it's so beautiful and refreshing it makes me feel so much better under the current circumstances of our planet. Thanks for cheering me and many up.

Who.Me? wrote:

But it's nearly ready.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

[quote="LAGrunthaner"]OMG it's beautiful and I need to do the same I am not an engine expert it's hard for me to tell what it is in style and configuration, is it dual port? The front looks single port then the side looks dual and I'm always learning and love to learn more. What size is it? 1600? Bigger? Keep up the great work Who.Me?. I love the paint it's so beautiful and refreshing it makes me feel so much better under the current circumstances of our planet. Thanks for cheering me and many up.

Who.Me? wrote:

But it's nearly ready.

Thanks. It's a 1600 dual port. Most of the 'paint' is powder coat. The exhaust is Hycote Extreme Heat silver grey rattle can paint. I figured I'd bite the bullet and make it look nice while I was digging in to it.

I'd refubished or replaced pretty well all of the ancillaries in the past few years, while I tried to fix a rough-running issue without tearing it apart completely.

I'd never been able to get the engine to start and idle properly and the oil had a metallic sheen, so I tore it apart last autumn to see what was going on.

It turned out that whoever built it put a performance cam (Engle W110) in it and strangled it with a stock single carb setup. The bearings were also heavily scored and I think that it had been run hot and overheated in the past. I had the case machined and have rebuilt it with a stock-profile cam and new heads, pistons and barrels.

It's taken ages to feel my way through it though because repro parts don't always 'just work'. Lots of measuring and waiting for answers to my stupid questions in the engine forum.

My wife is extremely tolerant and let me build it indoors (everything was spotlessly clean, but it's a big lump to have indoors).

But now it's ready. We've just got to work out how to get it back off the stand on our own* so I can get it out of the house and test run it. *We're having to isolate ('social distancing') because my wife helps care for two of her close relatives with some serious health issues.

It's been good fun and I learned a lot in the process.

Hopefully it'll run and won't just leak oil from the case joint or grenade on start up. Laughing

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Put the new engine in the Singlecab, fired it up !!!!!
Gonna need some tinkering w/ the Distributor/carb...

My Pops:
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Nice job Tom. whats the deal with the engine? Did VW wesllesey do the rebuild or send it out somewhere?
mykillcykill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Scored a new air cleaner thanks to @everettB for pointing out in the good deal thread. New rubber and fabbed up a bracket. It looks the part and runs great. It replaced an older style oil bath air cleaner. See the fire damage? That was from a backfire and a paper filter catching on fire many years ago. Not a fan of paper filters.

Also replace door catches, lubed the front end and replace steering damper.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
crukab wrote:

Nice job Tom. whats the deal with the engine? Did VW wesllesey do the rebuild or send it out somewhere?

JP rebuilt it, up to a 1600. He works at Wellesley, but I wouldn’t say ‘they’ rebuilt it.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I spent some time yesterday digging thru all my boxes, all my spare engines looking at every oil level dipstick I had to try to find one red handle dipstick that is correct for my early Bastard engine which came to me a decade ago without the dipstick. (FYI, there are TWO versions of red-handle dipsticks, one for the 2 degree inclined 40 hp engines with a 113 VW part number and one for the "Bastard" engines with a 211 VW part number). Anyway, no luck. So I improvised.

I found two dipsticks which were the correct length from the bottom of the "bell" on the dipstick to the tip (155 mm) but both had hi/low level marks stamped into them that were incorrect for my "Bastard" engine. So I picked one, cleaned it up and very carefully measured and marked the "correct" hi/low marks for a "Bastard" engine and then carefully used a Dremel tool with a thin cutting wheel to grind in a new hi and low oil level mark. I then used the same thin grinding wheel to gently grind away the old stamped-in marks so there would be no confusion when using this modified dipstick in my "Bastard" engine in the future. A quick wipe-down of the handle with wax and grease remover solvent, I taped off the shaft and spray painted the handle red again. Taa Daaaa! Done. Now I'm guaranteed to find a correct original "Bastard" dipstick in the first swap meet I get to attend someday!

Just one of many silly chores to catch-up on while everyone is isolated... Aahhhhh, what to do today?

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Part of the "keep moving foward/ use this free time to get shit done"
I cleaned out the '65 Pamper today:

I wanted to dig out the three ^^^^^^ 36 H.P. engines.......
Not working for now, so it's time to put a few things up for sale.

My Pops:

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Fixed my emergency brake by welding some metal to make the notch smaller on my brake pad spreader push bar.

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Welded up a hole in my muffler and wire wheel cleaned up the finish to be ready for paint.

04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

A little while back I was cleaning up the garage and ran across a couple boxes that I'd had from a company that I'd worked for years ago. I liked the boxes, and was ready to toss out the steel drawers that were in them, until I noticed they had 12V DC solenoid latches. Hmmmmm... Anyway, this is the proof of concept repurposing effort. Each drawer is about 24 x 18 x 6. Pretty handy, and better than a landfill.

Link
AirBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Repaired the rear corners

build a fresh 1641cc

made a center exhaust.

Bagged, Porsche steeringrack/brakes..IRS, T1 1915cc
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DakDak67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Painted underneath, setting up the front end

[url=https://postimg.cc/sQWBWnkH]

getting ready to plumb my oil system and fuel system

[url=https://postimg.cc/2q6LGLfY]
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

don.ville wrote:
Welded up a hole in my muffler and wire wheel cleaned up the finish to be ready for paint.

OK, well that lasted an entire 15 minutes.

04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Wow DakDak67, did you do that from under the bus? Beautiful either way.

DakDak67 wrote:
Painted underneath, setting up the front end

[url=https://postimg.cc/sQWBWnkH]

getting ready to plumb my oil system and fuel system

[url=https://postimg.cc/2q6LGLfY]

What did you paint it with?

don.ville wrote:
don.ville wrote:

OK, well that lasted an entire 15 minutes.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 641, 642, 643 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 642 of 680

Jump to: