Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!'
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Abscate wrote:
If you come down to Newcastle again please stop in on my daughter at Durham, post graduate. She's lonely and loves VWs and Cats.

Hi Abscate, so sorry I missed this kind message (in all the intermittent phone reception!)
I’m sure we’d get on great, I’ll let you know if we’re shooting past Newcastle with Medo on board!!
Wait, what? Abscate’s daughter is a Geordie? How did I miss that? By the way, I really dig your photos of the wildcat. Do they really breed with domestic cats? I have a cat that I strongly suspect is part Bobcat. He is the same weight as an average Bobcat and is not fat. He also has the characteristic tufts on the points of his ears and he is nearly double the size of my other cats. Thanks for the photos. I particularly like the phone box photo along with the wildcat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:
Abscate wrote:
If you come down to Newcastle again please stop in on my daughter at Durham, post graduate. She's lonely and loves VWs and Cats.

Hi Abscate, so sorry I missed this kind message (in all the intermittent phone reception!)
I’m sure we’d get on great, I’ll let you know if we’re shooting past Newcastle with Medo on board!!
Wait, what? Abscate’s daughter is a Geordie? How did I miss that? By the way, I really dig your photos of the wildcat. Do they really breed with domestic cats? I have a cat that I strongly suspect is part Bobcat. He is the same weight as an average Bobcat and is not fat. He also has the characteristic tufts on the points of his ears and he is nearly double the size of my other cats. Thanks for the photos. I particularly like the phone box photo along with the wildcat.

Thanks TomWesty.
I think that interbreeding with domestic cats is the biggest threat to Scottish wildcats, so it’s much less common to get a purebred (I think this was a cross).
Apparently the cross breeds are a bit bad tempered, so I guess you might have one!
Cheers

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

As we know, everyone’s plans for the year are basically up the spout.
Today we were due to fly from Dubai to Sydney on our way to take an epic road trip and to pick up our ‘new’ 1976 Dormobile Kombi (See other thread!) We’re not.
Here in Scotland there’s something of a lockdown. No contact outside your household and essential journeys only. I’m still working in a weird unpredictable pattern that leaves me a fair bit of time at home. There’s no prospect of camping, so I’ve put the Kombi up on jack stands and I’m starting the job I should have done over the winter!
About 18yrs ago a layer of underseal was put under the whole bus. Generally it has preserved the metalwork very well, but it is dried and separating and probably trapping water. Certainly there is some rust at points I can see at the edges. I want to strip off what I can, grind back rust and prime and paint and maybe a layer of bed liner type protection under (or over) that. The wheel arches are the worst, but it’s not clear how far I should extend things until I start...

So, this is a bit of a view of the right hand wheel arch and the lower edge of the bodywork.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by mcdonaldneal on Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

And this is the left hand side...

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

After a couple of hours with a blunt chisel and a flat screwdriver, carefully scraping off an initial layer things are a little clearer. It looks as though there is mostly surface rust at the body edges and some of the outer under body, but it reaches a point where the paint is pretty solid. I’ll need to decide how far to strip back. I don’t want to remove solid paint, but it might look better to prepare and paint the whole wheel arch area.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I’m trying to make progress in smallish chunks. Partly because it’s going to take a long time and mostly because it’s awkward work!
Today’s results...

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

The CV lockdown is perfect for some things; doing bite sized chunks of a long and tedious job. I have discovered that the black, textured underseal/undercoat is probably from the factory and has done a good job of protecting the paint but there are enough areas of light rust that I’m glad I’m taking it off. I’m using a combination of blunt chisels, an old large flathead screwdriver and a small angled pry bar. The black stuff mostly flakes away fairly well, without damaging the paint at all. Next steps will be:
Clean off the residue with kerosene/mineral spirit/gasoline (with great care!)
Remove rust with wire brushes on a drill/dremel
Rust converter (POR metal prep and Jenolite jelly)
Probably POR15 the actual rusty areas.
Repair with seam sealer all the seams I can.
Probably brush on u-pol bedliner product which is well regarded.

U-pol Raptor bed liner

Maybe paint body colour, but probably waxoyl as a top layer.
Spray fluid film into the cavities via the rubber plugs.

I’m not even half way through stage one! I’ve decided to take the preparation as far back as the cross member where the brake booster is. I really can’t face doing the whole underside at this stage!

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

A Dremel tool would be wonderful in those tight corners and spaces. They make small brush heads that would clean those up.

EYE PROTECTION MANDATORY , small parts flying at high velocity are bad for eyes
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
A Dremel tool would be wonderful in those tight corners and spaces. They make small brush heads that would clean those up.

EYE PROTECTION MANDATORY , small parts flying at high velocity are bad for eyes

Good call, I have a dremel and the wire brushes. I’m taking it step by step.
One bonus of buying my own eye protection for work in the hospital(!) is that I found these Bolle safety glasses online with a ‘bifocal’ reading lens at the bottom. They are awesome (I now have three pairs!)

Bolle eye protection

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Didn’t have long today, but I tried some paraffin (kerosene) on a scrap of kitchen scoring sponge and it does a pretty good job o cleaning up the last bits of the undercoat. A few hours hard work and things should look a lot better!
I’ve just done a small strip in these pictures

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

You got some cabin fever brother. Cool Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

That’s for sure! I’m not sure about the wisdom of stripping the areas with intact paint, but I’m very glad to address the rust patches. Problem is, the rust patches aren’t always in obvious locations. Good job I’ve got plenty of time (I was supposed to do it over the winter!)
Cheers

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
notchboy wrote:

That’s for sure! I’m not sure about the wisdom of stripping the areas with intact paint, but I’m very glad to address the rust patches. Problem is, the rust patches aren’t always in obvious locations. Good job I’ve got plenty of time (I was supposed to do it over the winter!)
Cheers

Oh and just a quick thank you is in order. Because of you and posters like Whaanga, I now have been pointed out as having a dirty bottom. Sad

Cheers to you too Mork. Cool Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I find it pretty funny that there are 3 threads going with people scraping undercoat during this quarantine.

We all know that there is probably no other time where we will actually be able to finish the job.

I am very happy with how mine came out and good lord am I glad the hard part is over. NEVER want to do that again!!!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
I find it pretty funny that there are 3 threads going with people scraping undercoat during this quarantine.

We all know that there is probably no other time where we will actually be able to finish the job.

I am very happy with how mine came out and good lord am I glad the hard part is over. NEVER want to do that again!!!

Im going to look into soda or dry ice blasting before I roll my big ass under there.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I’m carrying on with slow progress when I can under the bus. There are a couple of things holding me up at the moment. The bolts for the seat rails (and a line of screw shafts) protrude into the wheel arch. I thought it would be simple to remove these from the top, but the threads are gummed up with old underseal and because of the location of the top and bottom of the nut and bolt it is really stiff to get them unscrewed! I have ended up ordering a pneumatic impact wrench and I hope that will do the trick where penetrating oil and heat have failed!
The other thing is the waste water tank, which is held in with two metal straps. It is blocking off the back of the cross member which is part of what I am cleaning and painting. The bolts for those are also very gummed up and inaccessible, but I am slowly getting those free. Actually, I might not put the tank back, as we never use it. Pic of it in situ...

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

A bit of grunting and swearing, but the waste water tank is out. It has revealed a couple of things. Good: I can now get to the strengthening members to clean and paint. Bad, I have a gaping hole in the floor where the pipes used to come through. Looks like I’ll have to patch that.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Wire brush, phospho , and primer and that will last another 50 years if you keep salt off it.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Wire brush, phospho , and primer and that will last another 50 years if you keep salt off it.
Epoxy primer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Keep up the good work, that's a very good chassis, you ought to be pleased with it!

I hope the little bit of welding needed is all.
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Page 45 of 73

Jump to: